Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BA luggage allowance - tip

BA luggage allowance - tip

Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

crossedleggedmoose will become famous soon enough
Default BA luggage allowance - tip

BA luggage allowance is only 23kg and you pay something like 30 pounds for every kg over this.

My advice is to talk non-stop when you check-in so that the BA staff member is too distracted to notice how much luggage you have.

I had 29kg of checked luggage, one 6kg wedding album, one 9kg hand luggage and a 5kg back pack.

My opening line was 'You look as though you've had one of those days.....'

Worked a treat.

Crossedleggedmoose

Ps If you're not much of a talker, suggest you fly via the US
Old Jan 15th 2005, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA luggage allowance - tip

Originally Posted by crossedleggedmoose

My opening line was 'You look as though you've had one of those days.....'
That could backfire! Check-in attendant might think "Are you saying I look like sh*t?".

Also 29Kg is not at all bad, I've heard reliably from Mrs JTL (who's been flying long haul many times for many years)that they are quite flexible up to 30Kg, unless of course you tell them they look like sh*t when you check in

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:08 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought you got 40kg if you were emigrating?

Did you just carry your wedding album as hand luggage? I was thinking about that - i'm def not putting wedding photos into crate to be shipped (they cost a fortune!)

I do intend on a one way ticket to Brisbane so hoping to get 40kg on emirates from Glasgow.

Lynn
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Only with special agreement from the airline (in writing).

I do intend on a one way ticket to Brisbane so hoping to get 40kg on emirates from Glasgow.

Lynn
Make sure you don't encounter a problem when you arrive at Glasgow to check-in for London. You've got to make sure the baggage allowance will be honoured by Emirates and the domestic airline.

What does it say on your ticket? Use that as a start point.

Jeremy
Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

jamieo70 is on a distinguished road

I just flew BA World Traveller Plus (premium economy and worth the extra 250 quid I think) and the limit was 30kg, I checked in 40kg and the attendant didn't bat an eyelid. You also get 2x 6kg hand luggage with that ticket, which I did and both were over 6kg.

To be honest, flight felt shorter than I expected. I don't know why some people make a lot of fuss about the length of time it takes to get to Oz.

As for talking to the check in staff to distract them, rather than "You look like you've had one of those days..." how about "So, has it been one of those days?" - whatever the response it will give you an opening to ask more questions...

Jamie
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

crossedleggedmoose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun

Did you just carry your wedding album as hand luggage? I was thinking about that - i'm def not putting wedding photos into crate to be shipped (they cost a fortune!)

Lynn
I put our wedding album in a large plastic carry bag and took it on the plane. Also had hand luggage as well.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

If they let through luggage heavier than your limit, it has absolutely nothing to do with the check-in assistant being distracted and overlooking the weight, but more to do with the flexibility built into the system. You may find they will be less flexible if the flight is completely full, and everybody has rocked up with 25+ kg of check-in luggage

Any single piece of luggage heavier than 25kg will probably have a label indicating it is HEAVY stuck on it. This is due to occupational Health and Safety rules relating to manual handling.