Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ayers Rock Uluru - Is it worth a visit please?

Ayers Rock Uluru - Is it worth a visit please?

Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ayers Rock Uluru - Is it worth a visit please?

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I didn't climb the rock out of respect of it being a sacred site but the base walk was spectacular. You should also be there for sunrise/sunset - an amazing experience. If you want to climb a 'rock', go to Kings Canyon but mind the pesky flies!
Likewise. I wouldn't climb on the stones at Stonehenge, so I wouldn't climb Uluru. I respect their beliefs - the local people were here first and its a sacred site for them.

--------

BEVS - definitely worth a visit, getting up close to it is pretty amazing. Also go to the Olgas, they are spectacular too, and please try and go to Alice - I stayed in alice and did a bus trip out to Uluru, and I have to say I found Alice fascinating, besides the fact that i had wanted to visit the place since I was about 8 years old! Couple of good friendly pubs, and people watching is so good there, with the different lifestyles of the local Aborigines and the tourists/backpackers and the local non-Aboriginal people. Such an unusual place with a feeling all of its own - loved it
Old Mar 31st 2015, 8:10 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Likewise. I wouldn't climb on the stones at Stonehenge, so I wouldn't climb Uluru. I respect their beliefs - the local people were here first and its a sacred site for them.

--------

BEVS - definitely worth a visit, getting up close to it is pretty amazing. Also go to the Olgas, they are spectacular too, and please try and go to Alice - I stayed in alice and did a bus trip out to Uluru, and I have to say I found Alice fascinating, besides the fact that i had wanted to visit the place since I was about 8 years old! Couple of good friendly pubs, and people watching is so good there, with the different lifestyles of the local Aborigines and the tourists/backpackers and the local non-Aboriginal people. Such an unusual place with a feeling all of its own - loved it
My overriding memory of the Alice was eating in a Swiss-Indian restaurant. In hindsight, there's probably a very good reason that such a combo has not made it to fusion status anywhere else.

Swerv-o: it rained when we were there, too; waterfalls were running off it. Spectacular, it was. (Although that's not the reason we didn't climb it. More a respect/couldn't be arsed kinda thing.)
Old Mar 31st 2015, 8:34 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
My overriding memory of the Alice was eating in a Swiss-Indian restaurant. In hindsight, there's probably a very good reason that such a combo has not made it to fusion status anywhere else.

Swerv-o: it rained when we were there, too; waterfalls were running off it. Spectacular, it was. (Although that's not the reason we didn't climb it. More a respect/couldn't be arsed kinda thing.)
I would've loved to see it with the waterfalls
I stayed in a basic but really friendly pub in Alice. Great, but basic, food, good beer, and the best place for people watching!!

I was also there for the annual Henley on Todd Regatta ( purely by chance). The locals build boats and then wear/carry them in races up and down the dry river bed of the Todd River. Very bizarre and hilarious to watch. And just like the 'real' Henley Regatta you can sit on the banks of the (dry) river sipping champagne and eating strawberries and cream in the sun. One of the best days i've had in Australia I reckon
Old Mar 31st 2015, 8:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I wouldn't climb it out of respect for the tribal beliefs. They do believe it to be a sacred site
And?

I'm sure Spurs supporters consider White Hart Lane a sacred site - doesn't mean I should give it a second thought. Basic axiom thingy - your beliefs are your personal problem; you shouldn't expect others to change their behaviour as a result and they give you no special dispensation.

The world would be a much better place if everyone realised that.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised no on has mentioned Kata Tjuta. Uluru is ok, it like it is in the photos. Funny when we were there it was raining also with waterfalls. Maybe its all a big hoax about the sunset and the colours as it seems its always pissing down!
Anyway from the (self guided) tour did, little of Uluru itself is specifically spiritual or significant to the traditional owners. As others have said if it were that big a deal it would be banned (SFAIRP).
Kata Tjuta however is very different. A far more spiritual place where walking off paths is forbidden. The Dream Time stories are kept secret and feels, well ancient and different. I am a cynic in any language but Kata Tjuta as special. There are two walks there (IIRC) and both worth doing.
IT moved/impressed/whetever me far more than Uluru which, while impressive, is like the photos.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 8:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Kata Tjuta however is very different. A far more spiritual place.
Yep. I'm aware of this.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:19 pm
`

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No...You have to come to Perth instead. Accommodation is very inexpensive ($0) at Dorothy's Resort and Spa and there's the added bonus of a car at your disposal.

Although, Uluru is probably a pretty close second.
Missus ! This is a weddin' anniversary. It comes loaded with the potential for marital strife, strop and bother , which is best played out among total strangers.

In any case, it would seem this is not meant to be. The old Dalai Lama has beaten us to it & in so doing has booked out most all of the bed space. So it seems anyway. We have been unable to raise a response from the resort itself.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Missus ! This is a weddin' anniversary. It comes loaded with the potential for marital strife, strop and bother , which is best played out among total strangers.

In any case, it would seem this is not meant to be. The old Dalai Lama has beaten us to it & in so doing has booked out most all of the bed space. So it seems anyway. We have been unable to raise a response from the resort itself.
Well, happy anniversary anyway. Looks like I'll just have to come to NZ then.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 11:02 pm
`

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, happy anniversary anyway. Looks like I'll just have to come to NZ then.
If you wish.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:51 am
Home and Happy

The alternative is to do it the way I did -stay in Alice and do a coach trip to Uluru. They throw in lunch, drinks etc. 6 hours each way and 6 hours at the Rock - leaving the Rock just after sunset ( and you can sleep all the way back).
1 spent 3 nights in Alice, meals and drinks, plus the bus trip, all cheaper than 2 nights at the Rock itself.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 3:43 am
`

Hhhmm. It may be a goer again.

How long is long enough? 2 nights? 3 or 4 nights?

Not sure MrBEVS fancies a mega coach trip. He is a softy romantic at heart.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say two days is enough, three at a push. After that you are running out of things to do/see.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:47 am
Home and Happy

Well by the time you fly in there's not much left of the first day, second day if you do the bus trip - or even hire a car and drive yourselves - you'd not be able to fly out of Alice that night. If you fancy just mooching around the town, few beers etc then make it a third night but I reckon thats all you need unless you take off on another driving day.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Having done it for work I plan to repeat the journey with family. But depending on budget, you may consider adding Kings Canyon as well. Hire a car drive down to Uluru. Its $25 to drive in. Spend a day discovering the rock. It is quite awesome in the flesh so to speak. next day do Kata Tjuta(Also stunning), then drive back via Kings Canyon do a walk and an overnight stay. Its good to catch early and late Sun for photos then if you have a 4x4 drive North back to Alice or double back and use the Edmund(think that's right)Giles road, cuts a couple of 100 kms off. Personally I would probably walk the Rock, depending on the weather. Have not had time as yet.