Ayers Rock.

Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:59 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ayers Rock.

Originally Posted by CORKER
So It's a yes then.. I know it's not quite PC but you can still do it then..???
Nothing to do with, "PC".
If you'd be happy with lots of people from a completely different culture wandering around your house all day, while at the same time badmouthing generations of your Grandparents, then yeah, you can still climb it.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:05 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Ayers Rock.

Originally Posted by Homer
The way i look at it is if you have anything in your life that is very spiritual and sacrid to you would you want hundreds of people walking over it taking bits of it home with them, i know i would not and personally i think people should be stopped from climbing it altogether,go and look at it at sunset and sunrise and you will be very happy with no reason to walk up It and offend people
What's the diference between that and going in and up the towers in YORK MINSTER.???
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:37 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

What's the diference between that and going in and up the towers in YORK MINSTER.???
Big difference!
The people who run York Minster don't constantly ask the visitors as a mark of respect, not to climb the towers!

And why do you insist on SHOUTING in all of your posts?

It's considered very rude on this forum.....
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:33 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scossie
Big difference!
The people who run York Minster don't constantly ask the visitors as a mark of respect, not to climb the towers!

Have to agree with you there Scossie if anyone on this planet asked me not to do something because it offends them i would not do it,the people who were here along time before we come over here have asked very politely for us not to climb it so i think we should respect there wishes and not climb it,but i would not force my view's on to you or anyone else and say no you cant climb it,and if the people of York want people to stop climbing York minster then they should say so (and i have never climbed York minster or any other religious or sacrid place)you are free to do as you please but please think of these people when you do do it and ask your self how you would feel if it was you in there place
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:35 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Ayers Rock.

Big difference!

Using capital letters for the name of a place...not shouting...not rude..
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

If a person is fully aware that, by taking a certain action, or pursuit, they are going to offend someone and it is not really neccessary other than to boost their own ego, what does that say about the person who does it?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:05 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Using capital letters for the name of a place...not shouting...not rude..
Fine......
I think though, everyone on BE will know if you are using a name without you capitalising it!

We're not daft!!

You have used it on a lot of your other posts as well, when it doesn't relate to a name.

It is considered shouting, & it is considered rude in most cases.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:30 am
NEO LIVES

Fine......
I think though, everyone on BE will know if you are using a name without you capitalising it!

We're not daft!!

You have used it on a lot of your other posts as well, when it doesn't relate to a name.

It is considered shouting, & it is considered rude in most cases.
must HAVE a FAULTY caps LOCK button THEN.......doh!

Hey have you been checking on my old post's....is that stalking me....??? :scared: :scared:
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:33 am
Scottish Aussie ©

must HAVE a FAULTY caps LOCK button THEN.......doh!

Hey have you been checking on my old post's....is that stalking me....??? :scared: :scared:
Apparently.....
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Can you still climb up onto AYERS ROCK...?????
Unless they've changed this in the last 1.5 years .. you can. If the temp does not exceed 36 degrees that is .. Then it is closed .. due to many "fatigue" deaths there ..

So don't take it for granted .. since it get's pretty warm there!

/Jørgen
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

I visited Ayers rock a couple of years ago, and decided not to climb it purely and simply because the traditional owners asked (and this is quite important... they ask and do not impose prohibition) that you don't climb. I remember being told something about their belief of the spirits of the people who have died there, and that they weren't in their homeland and as such were "lost souls" and this caused sadness to them. As they say in the National Park Visitor Guide...

"The 'climb' is not prohibited. But we prefer that, as a guest on Anangu land, you will choose to respect our law and culture by not climbing"

"We feel great sadness when a person is hurt or dies on our land"

To each his own, but for me I wouldn't feel comfortable blatantly going against other peoples beliefs. It's akin to going into a church and pissing in the font. In my opinion, anyway.

I did however do the base walk, which was enjoyable, but as with most rocks, hills and mountains, they lose some of their impact when up close, and for me Ayers Rock looked most spectacular at sunset from some considerable distance away from the roadside.

But Hey!, as I said, to each his own.

Jamie