Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be aware that medical insurance isn't the same as it is in the UK

Be aware that medical insurance isn't the same as it is in the UK

Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Be aware that medical insurance isn't the same as it is in the UK

There are always threads current about Australian medical insurance.

Be aware that insurers here don't pay out nearly as much as they do elsewhere!

We are on almost top whack with our insurer (well, at 65 the pregnancy cover's hardly an issue...).

I've been unfortunate enough to have to have four operations this year and, despite insurance, it's costing a fortune.

For example, the last procedure billed me with $6150: Medicare paid $1956 and the insurer $609 - I had to pay the rest ($3584). (The hospital bills were all paid by the insurer, these were doctors' bills, blood tests etc).

The insurers say they will pay 100% of the bills - but in the small print it's only 100% of what Medicare hasn't paid and only refers to the Medicare scheduled fee. And the medicare scheduled fee is often a very small percentage of what the surgeon or anaestetist actually charges.

Despite being "fully covered" by private insurance and Medicare, this year I have had to lay out well over $10,000.

Those youngsters amongst us (those under 50 <g>) should be aware that getting ill in Australia is **** expensive regardless of private insurance!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be aware that medical insurance isn't the same as it is in the UK

Has anybody calculated whether on average it is better to just bank the premiums and use this for medical bills? (rather than pay out to insurance companies)

I suppos the medicare levy for those over $100K upsets the calculations.

There must be an algorithm somewhere for calculating whether it is better to be insured or not...!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:29 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Has anybody calculated whether on average it is better to just bank the premiums and use this for medical bills? (rather than pay out to insurance companies)

There must be an algorithm somewhere for calculating whether it is better to be insured or not...!
Probably.....
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Good idea.

We are not insured, wasn't worth it i thought. It's a rip off.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
There are always threads current about Australian medical insurance.

Be aware that insurers here don't pay out nearly as much as they do elsewhere!

We are on almost top whack with our insurer (well, at 65 the pregnancy cover's hardly an issue...).

I've been unfortunate enough to have to have four operations this year and, despite insurance, it's costing a fortune.

For example, the last procedure billed me with $6150: Medicare paid $1956 and the insurer $609 - I had to pay the rest ($3584). (The hospital bills were all paid by the insurer, these were doctors' bills, blood tests etc).

The insurers say they will pay 100% of the bills - but in the small print it's only 100% of what Medicare hasn't paid and only refers to the Medicare scheduled fee. And the medicare scheduled fee is often a very small percentage of what the surgeon or anaestetist actually charges.

Despite being "fully covered" by private insurance and Medicare, this year I have had to lay out well over $10,000.

Those youngsters amongst us (those under 50 <g>) should be aware that getting ill in Australia is **** expensive regardless of private insurance!
Do you have GAP cover though ?

Since thats the difference between the medicare fee and the actual practitioners fee.

Sounds like you may need to reassess your actual medical insurance provider cover as we do have GAP cover.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If your salary is high enough to get you into the 1% levy zone then you're better off getting the health cover. With the 1% you get nothing extra but with the medical (which will cost about the same) you will get money off your dental, optical, etc... For other stuff you may be better off not admitting that you have private health cover.

If your salary does not take you into the 1% levy zone then you are probably better off not getting private health cover (unless you are 30+ and think that you'll soon have a salary that takes you into the zone).
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth having the extras cover for the dentist, glasses etc...

One thing's for sure Medical insurance is bloody complicated over here, trying to figure out what's covered and by how much.

When my daughter had to go to hospital in an emergency we made the mistake of telling them we had private health, that cost us about 2 grand when otherwise we would have had to have paid nothing.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:59 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

What if you have private cover and elect for treatment in a public hospital? Do you still have to pay the gap then?

Just wondering because my daughter spent a day in the hospital and we chose to go public and didn't pay anything.

For us we would have been taxed by not taking it out so that's why we got private.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
What if you have private cover and elect for treatment in a public hospital? Do you still have to pay the gap then?

Just wondering because my daughter spent a day in the hospital and we chose to go public and didn't pay anything.

For us we would have been taxed by not taking it out so that's why we got private.
No, you'll be fine, you didn't make the mistake I did.

Crazy, feeling like a fool for "admitting" to having private health.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance ain't like that though!

Over the long term maybe you *could* work something out - but what if you have a $100,000 operation just after starting?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:25 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Centurion
Do you have GAP cover though ?

Since thats the difference between the medicare fee and the actual practitioners fee.

Sounds like you may need to reassess your actual medical insurance provider cover as we do have GAP cover.
Yes, Gap cover.

In fact, I've just this minute received the latest statement from the insurer concerning this last procedure: $zero paid as gap - since Medicare paid nothing there's no gap.

Until you have to claim you don't realise that they don't cover what you are charged - only what Medicare deem as a fee: and medicare rates haven't been updated for yonks.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
No, you'll be fine, you didn't make the mistake I did.

Crazy, feeling like a fool for "admitting" to having private health.
We also told them we had private health, it was on the form so we filled it out. But we told them we wanted to be public patients and even had to sign a waiver indicting that and that we couldn't switch over later on if we changed our mind. We were at a public hospital at the time. There was a private hospital at the other end of the parking lot but we avoided that one!

So, I am assuming we were entirely public patients so they couldn't use our private health care at all. Or at least I hope it works like that. I did this in the hopes of avoiding the gap.

So, if they ask about private health care can you just say you don't have it? That way you for sure won't have any extra fees.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Well - it has to be cheaper than in Germany.

We currently pay about €15,000 per year for private cover (and no I did not put in too many zero's)' or about A$23,000.

I feel like being ill just to get value for money.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We spent so much time working out the pros and cons of insurance and came to the conclusion it just wasn't worth it. The service we've had so far with Medicare has been superb and (I believe) superior to what we would have received in the UK if these particular things had happened there. I wouldn't dare say it would be the same for others but for us insurance just seemed a false economy.

We were planning on putting an amount in a different account each month and use that for emergencies but we still haven't got round to it.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:49 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We spent so much time working out the pros and cons of insurance and came to the conclusion it just wasn't worth it. The service we've had so far with Medicare has been superb and (I believe) superior to what we would have received in the UK if these particular things had happened there. I wouldn't dare say it would be the same for others but for us insurance just seemed a false economy.

We were planning on putting an amount in a different account each month and use that for emergencies but we still haven't got round to it.
But, are you getting charged the Medicare Levy because you're not on private health insurance?

If we weren't going to get penalized we wouldn't have gotten private health at all. Unfortunately we decided that we'd rather pay for private health than pay the surcharge for nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.