Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aviation Australia

Aviation Australia

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice
Default Aviation Australia

Hi
My son wants to do an electrical/plumbing apprenticeship but is finding it hard to get something as there is so little around at the moment so he is now thinking of doing an avionics course at Aviation Australia at Eagle Farm. It appears to be a good option as there is a guarantee of an apprenticeship at the end. Has anyone attended one of the courses and what did you think of it?
Thanks
Kathy
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:52 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aviation Australia

http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91 may be a better place to ask.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Thank you for that link. I had a quick look but it seemed like it was mostly for pilots.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

Is your son a PR in Oz? Is he going in as a local student or international? I am going as an international student in Caloundra at QIAE in avionics. There is no guarantee of an apprenticeship at any school. The aviation australia "guarantee" is only for local students and has several clauses to it. You need to pass all the exams and have 90% attendance and be an exceptional student. You also have to accept any offer anywhere in Oz. Keep in mind it seems like getting a job in avionics is not that hard as they are in very high demand. Only thing is, you have to be willing to relocate. Brisbane area has 3 schools teaching avionics that I know of.. So you can imagine how many students are competing for the same job in the area.
How old is your son? Has he been to the school to have a look around? Aviation is a passion. Once you're in it you either love it or hate it!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Thank you for that link. I had a quick look but it seemed like it was mostly for pilots.
It is populated mainly by pilots but there are other aviation people on the forum. If you go to the main forum index www.pprune.org/ you'll see there are other forums for engineers etc so he may be able to pick up some leads that way. No harm in registering on the Aus forum though (on the first link) and asking the question there
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by canadiangal75
Is your son a PR in Oz? Is he going in as a local student or international? I am going as an international student in Caloundra at QIAE in avionics. There is no guarantee of an apprenticeship at any school. The aviation australia "guarantee" is only for local students and has several clauses to it. You need to pass all the exams and have 90% attendance and be an exceptional student. You also have to accept any offer anywhere in Oz. Keep in mind it seems like getting a job in avionics is not that hard as they are in very high demand. Only thing is, you have to be willing to relocate. Brisbane area has 3 schools teaching avionics that I know of.. So you can imagine how many students are competing for the same job in the area.
How old is your son? Has he been to the school to have a look around? Aviation is a passion. Once you're in it you either love it or hate it!
Thanks for your response it was very helpful. I will have to ask them more about the guarantee as I did not realise he might have to relocate.

You must love avionics as it seems very expensive to go as an International Student. He is 18 and we became citizens recently so he can get the local rate. I don't know what category he will fall into (love it or hate it) as he is 18 and loves cars, girls and going out to all hours at the moment :curse:
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It is populated mainly by pilots but there are other aviation people on the forum. If you go to the main forum index www.pprune.org/ you'll see there are other forums for engineers etc so he may be able to pick up some leads that way. No harm in registering on the Aus forum though (on the first link) and asking the question there
Thanks pollyana I will look for the links you mentioned.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

definitely not cheap for me. I have been working in aviation for 7 years now and need a good career. So avionics it is! We are not in Canada at the moment so going back to Canada would be costly as well. We decided to have me take the course in Oz since the weather is much nicer there and I may even get PR in the end.

Your son is very young as most students will be. But I heard this course is alot of work. (Alot of studying). Especially if you are writing the CASA exams required to become licensed while you are doing the course (I will be doing this). Hopefully he likes it. But hey, I've been thru a few careers and education is never lost.

If he really likes cars though, why not do auto mechanics? You really must love airplanes to work in aviation. The hours are long and unsociable and the pay is not very good for quite a few years.

My husband's a helicopter pilot so we both work in aviation and understand each other's schedules. Also the need to relocate for work is very common in aviation.