Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

average working hours per wk?

average working hours per wk?

Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Question average working hours per wk?

Hi,

Just wondered how many hours on average do people work out there? I know it depends on how many you want to work(part time etc) hubby is a tiler so this one oprobably be better to all you trademen out there. Sorry, it seems a bit of a daft question, but i checked out brisbane area and it gets dark earlyish and hubby commented he'd be getting home after dark and was just a minor blip.

Thanks.
Claire
x
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:39 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: average working hours per wk?

Originally Posted by flump
Hi,

Just wondered how many hours on average do people work out there? I know it depends on how many you want to work(part time etc) hubby is a tiler so this one oprobably be better to all you trademen out there. Sorry, it seems a bit of a daft question, but i checked out brisbane area and it gets dark earlyish and hubby commented he'd be getting home after dark and was just a minor blip.

Thanks.
Claire
x
A fulltime working week is technically 37.5 hours a week. In reality there are a lot who work 50, 60 or even more hours a week and a whole host of others who are scratching to get more than 20-25 hours a week.

More and more work is 'casual' (even for some professionals) no paid holidays, no sick pay and unable to get a mortgage on.

Where you will fit in on this will depend largely on demand for the work skills, quals and knowledge you bring to the workplace. That said, I know of university lecturers who are casuals.

Many who can only get casual work have to work 2 or even 3 jobs to make ends meet.

Now you will probably be inundated by those pro OZ contributors trying to counter this. I'd suggest (for your own peace of mind and impartial info) check out this website that lists jobs, trends, career development etc. There are plenty of advertised jobs that will back up my claims.

http://jobsearch.gov.au

Best of luck
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: average working hours per wk?

Originally Posted by kiwichild
A fulltime working week is technically 37.5 hours a week. In reality there are a lot who work 50, 60 or even more hours a week and a whole host of others who are scratching to get more than 20-25 hours a week.

More and more work is 'casual' (even for some professionals) no paid holidays, no sick pay and unable to get a mortgage on.

Where you will fit in on this will depend largely on demand for the work skills, quals and knowledge you bring to the workplace. That said, I know of university lecturers who are casuals.

Many who can only get casual work have to work 2 or even 3 jobs to make ends meet.

Now you will probably be inundated by those pro OZ contributors trying to counter this. I'd suggest (for your own peace of mind and impartial info) check out this website that lists jobs, trends, career development etc. There are plenty of advertised jobs that will back up my claims.

http://jobsearch.gov.au

Best of luck
Thnaks for that kiwichild, i'll check that out.
cheers
Claire
x
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've researched, my hubby (electrician) will be on similar/slightly higher wages than he is on now to do exactly the same job, once licensed. Similar amount of hours per week.

Most jobs that he will be applying for will have a finish time of around 4.30 - 5pm

I can't see that there will be much difference in it really, but we will have more to do on a weekend. Which will be a big benefit for us as we rarely do anything here. (you may have noticed )

Obviously this is purely based on research and reality may be a bit different.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:52 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
From what I've researched, my hubby (electrician) will be on similar/slightly higher wages than he is on now to do exactly the same job, once licensed. Similar amount of hours per week.

Most jobs that he will be applying for will have a finish time of around 4.30 - 5pm

I can't see that there will be much difference in it really, but we will have more to do on a weekend. Which will be a big benefit for us as we rarely do anything here. (you may have noticed )

In his trade it can depend how much work the boss has on at any one time too.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:56 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I work about 45 hours per week and earn, after 3 months proving myself, about the same as I did in the UK. Standard is 40 but no one does just that. I am at supervisor level but the ranks also work similar hours - it is just expected so no one gripes.

I am sure there are some people who have to resort to casual work etc but in a big company like mine they look after us very well.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:57 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: average working hours per wk?

Hi,

Thanks.
Claire
x
It's all doom and gloom; unemployment is high, wages are low, employee protection is non-existent, casual labour is the norm, and permanent full-time employees work an average of 75 hours per week.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's all doom and gloom; unemployment is high, wages are low, employee protection is non-existent, casual labour is the norm, and permanent full-time employees work an average of 75 hours per week.

You being sarcastic by any chance
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:10 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: average working hours per wk?

C'est moi? Sarcastic?

Perish the thought.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Bloody hell Vash! You developed a split personality?
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:14 am
Banned

Actually what he says isn't that far from the truth LOL eg; Australian gov for statistical purposes classifies as 'employed' persons of working age who work a minimum of 1 hour paid employment per week. So basically true unemployment is a lot higher than the figures that are published. Unless of course you get enough money for that 1 hr a week work to actually live on
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Hi wendy,

just a change of subject for the mo, where are u at the mo? n where u headin. wasn't sure whether or not to pm u but fairly new to this site( maybe thats why i haven't any Karma yet ) so not sure wat the 'norm' is.
Claire
x
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi wendy,

just a change of subject for the mo, where are u at the mo? n where u headin. wasn't sure whether or not to pm u but fairly new to this site( maybe thats why i haven't any Karma yet ) so not sure wat the 'norm' is.
Claire
x
Hi Claire.

You can PM me anythime you want. I'll even send you some Karma, when it's not blank.

At the minute I'm in Bradford, we are heading out to Adelaide as soon as the house sale goes through, probably around June/July.

What about you?. What stage are you at and where are you planning on going?
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:58 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Bloody hell Vash! You developed a split personality?
In response to recent criticisms about my attitude, I consulted Saatchi & Saatchi (at great personal expense, mind!) who recommended an image change.

This is the new, improved, "Black-tinted glasses" Vash.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Claire.

You can PM me anythime you want. I'll even send you some Karma, when it's not blank.

At the minute I'm in Bradford, we are heading out to Adelaide as soon as the house sale goes through, probably around June/July.

What about you?. What stage are you at and where are you planning on going?
Karma, when its not blank, what does that mean? Ive not had my shredded wheat today!!
Only just applying for TRA and have not decided where we are definately going, a tough choice i think, what made u go for adelaide? Do u have children?

Claire
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.