Reload this Page >

Average Time for Securing a Job

Average Time for Securing a Job

Old Aug 28th 2006, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

cool_archie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Average Time for Securing a Job

Hello Everybody,

Just would like to know what is the Average time it takes to secure a decent job in AUS
once you move permanently, for someone having Technical Skills in IT and about 10 years of experience.

Regards,
Old Aug 28th 2006, 5:23 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Average Time for Securing a Job

Originally Posted by cool_archie
Hello Everybody,

Just would like to know what is the Average time it takes to secure a decent job in AUS
once you move permanently, for someone having Technical Skills in IT and about 10 years of experience.

Regards,
whereabouts, and what skills specifically?
took me 2 weeks in Sydney using my midrange AP background to get a contract
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:11 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

The average time is supposed to be around 4 months!!! Depends a lot on luck as well with being in the right place at the right time.

Lorraine
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:19 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
The average time is supposed to be around 4 months!!! Depends a lot on luck as well with being in the right place at the right time.

Lorraine
4 months OMG I would be doing my head in waiting that long. (no offence to you Lorraine).

If you are hungry for work you should spend a week talking/meeting with agents, followed by a week of interviews, starting/commencing work the beginning of the third week. Longer depends on marketability on your part and what is out their at the time.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cool_archie
Hello Everybody,

Regards,
It took me a month exactly from arriving to job offer. I have just been in and signed the contract today and start tomorrow.

I am (now) in scientific & technical writing. This was a massive career change for me, as prior to leaving the UK, I was a secondary school teacher. I have managed to score a massive pay rise into the deal too. Though I will miss the long holidays, I certainly won't miss all the awful screaming kids that go with it...

S
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

ive been trying to secure something from over here...no luck yet...

applied for 30 jobs so far...one even called for my references..but just got up and have 6 emails knocking me back :0 (

onward and upward though...
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:15 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

5 months.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
5 months.

When do/did you start ?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:22 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lollyno1
ive been trying to secure something from over here...no luck yet...

applied for 30 jobs so far...one even called for my references..but just got up and have 6 emails knocking me back :0 (

onward and upward though...
I tried exactly the same thing with no success. On reflection, I think it's a very de-motivating thing to do, as you really start to worry about how well you will get on when you arrive.

I applied for many months prior to arrival, with barely a response to the Emails in most cases. As soon as I arrived and got an Aussie address on the top of my CV, I had 2 interviews in the first week, then 6 more over the next 3. I wouldn't have said that I had the pick of the jobs, but the one I've taken is certainly the best on offer.

Good luck!

S
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I tried exactly the same thing with no success. On reflection, I think it's a very de-motivating thing to do, as you really start to worry about how well you will get on when you arrive.

I applied for many months prior to arrival, with barely a response to the Emails in most cases. As soon as I arrived and got an Aussie address on the top of my CV, I had 2 interviews in the first week, then 6 more over the next 3. I wouldn't have said that I had the pick of the jobs, but the one I've taken is certainly the best on offer.

Good luck!

S

yes a little demotivating..and now my head knows about my plans..lol

its was worth a try though..house is not selling so was another option...

anyway good luck in your job, glad your enjoying it.

regards

lolly
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:35 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
5 months.
Hi mate in your work have you come across the following company in the UK?

ajw-aviation.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:41 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by lollyno1
yes a little demotivating..and now my head knows about my plans..lol

its was worth a try though..house is not selling so was another option...

anyway good luck in your job, glad your enjoying it.

regards

lolly
This happened to me, only I had resigned from my full time post before my house sold. I ended up doing nearly a year on supply, which was actually quite good, as I was able to build up a nice lump sum to bring with me. If you are in the midlands, I can give you the name of my agent. They were excellent - I had long term contracts, and the only day off I had all year was the support staff strike. They pay to scale too.

S
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
This happened to me, only I had resigned from my full time post before my house sold. I ended up doing nearly a year on supply, which was actually quite good, as I was able to build up a nice lump sum to bring with me. If you are in the midlands, I can give you the name of my agent. They were excellent - I had long term contracts, and the only day off I had all year was the support staff strike. They pay to scale too.

S

thanks...but im in the north..for my sins..lol and I have to be in oz by jan 07...not much tiime eh...

and im a scardy cat...to give up my job just yet..mind only have till oct half term..and not sold the house yet...oh woe is me..lol
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by WendyC
When do/did you start ?
I start 2 weeks today. After 17 applications plus 6 speculative and 5 interviews all has come good.

I had one interview which lasted 2 hours including a guided tour in which I didn't get offered the job.
Reason: Very strong but lack of commercial airline experience. Well hello, you knew this before I set foot in the interview.

Another position I went for, the company withdrew the position post interviewing of 4 candidates.
The good ideas club had got together and decided they required a new position, interviewed 4 people then decided shit do we really need this new position!! Unbelievable!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi mate in your work have you come across the following company in the UK?

ajw-aviation.
No i haven't mate, why do you ask?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.