Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average rental prices in Perth

Average rental prices in Perth

Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:38 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all
Default Average rental prices in Perth

I was reading in a WA brochure given to us by the UK embassy at their expo and they reckon average house rental prices are about $280 / $300 per week, but when I have been looking through threads and posts on here the prices people are quoting are a lot higher.

Is the average quoted in the booklet complete rubbish and would $280 get you a shack in rubbishville?

If so what are the kind of prices you would be expected to pay for a fairly decent home in an OK area for me, OH and baby? - oh and dog (if I manage to find somewhere that allows pets!)
I realise that area will have an impact on cost too so nice area hopefully not too far from sea / water and not to far from the city.

Any input greatly received - thanks
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Re: Average rental prices in Perth

Originally Posted by Kris_Rocks
I was reading in a WA brochure given to us by the UK embassy at their expo and they reckon average house rental prices are about $280 / $300 per week, but when I have been looking through threads and posts on here the prices people are quoting are a lot higher.

Is the average quoted in the booklet complete rubbish and would $280 get you a shack in rubbishville?

If so what are the kind of prices you would be expected to pay for a fairly decent home in an OK area for me, OH and baby? - oh and dog (if I manage to find somewhere that allows pets!)
I realise that area will have an impact on cost too so nice area hopefully not too far from sea / water and not to far from the city.

I would say about $350 to $450 would be about the average, I wouldn't listen to the prices quoted by TV shows or expo's they are generaly out of date.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Hey kris..dunno anything bout Perth...just wanna say the pic is ACE!! Best album ever by the best band ever!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:29 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by trevamather
Hey kris..dunno anything bout Perth...just wanna say the pic is ACE!! Best album ever by the best band ever!!
Why thank you
AC/DC Rock!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:30 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Originally Posted by philnorris
I would say about $350 to $450 would be about the average, I wouldn't listen to the prices quoted by TV shows or expo's they are generaly out of date.
The booklet was by the WA Govt and they say the prices are correct March 2007.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:01 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

The booklet was by the WA Govt and they say the prices are correct March 2007.
The probably were too.
...but things have changed a helluva lot in 12 months.

Rents will have probably increased substantially another 12 months from now also.
Factor that into the calculations for def.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I would reckon on an average rental in Perth's southern suburbs for a normal 4x2 being between $320 and $360 per week now. People who have been in their rentals a while will probably not be paying this but new tenants will have to expect to take on today's prices.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:52 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I think you need to budget $400 - $450 a week.

DH was recently helping out a new start by looking at some properties for him. He had a budget of $300/week. DH said that the properties were all disgusting and he wouldn't keep a pig in them. Sad thing is that people were competing to rent them!

If you are prepared to live a bit further south - Baldivis, Settlers Hills, Secret Harbour etc, $300 - $350/week for a nice place becomes realistic.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle

If you are prepared to live a bit further south - Baldivis, Settlers Hills, Secret Harbour etc, $300 - $350/week for a nice place becomes realistic.
That was the kind of area I was talking about.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:05 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

You know what makes me laugh, sorry but the prices of renting seem totally and utterly ridiculous. Why, well say on average, a nice and happy working man takes home $1000.00 per week, his wife stays at home and looks after the children, he works hard, has a family to keep, he is paying between 40% to 45% of his NET wage, not GROSS wage just to rent a house. He then has utility bills, food, and everything else?

And you expats keep telling us all that house prices are high, and that it is cheaper to rent. Well renting ain't cheap, but if cheap relative to buying, then houses will not just fall, the trajectory will be similay to a falling sh!t, because, life is not about living to work to pay the bills, no matter where you live and how nice the view and climate.

Life is about working to live because life is all too short!

Somewhere, somehow, the disconnect between the average wage for average Joe, and the cost to house his family became broken, and the sooner this connection resumes back to affordability the better for family life and a healthy happy community.

Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

getting down under is an unknown quantity at this point

You can still rent properties in Perth for that kind of money but they are far and few between now unfortunately.

We have friends living in Quinns rocks renting a property for about $300 a week, 4 x 2 on a nice street so you can still find them

When we were renting though, we were paying $450 a week and then we still had to put up 6 months rent in advance to secure the property

Last edited by getting down under; Apr 19th 2008 at 1:38 pm. Reason: Typos :-/
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We're paying $450 for a 4X2 with pool in the hills. Large plot, nice quiet location, great neighbours, house slightly dated but everything works, dishwasher and lots of furniture included and a great landlord.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:02 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Mmmm - so quite an unrealistic amount to budget then by the looks.

Does anybody know if there are any schemes like affordable housing etc. like they have in the UK?
Also,
Is there anything like council houses and if so are they like the UK - like whole estates that you wouldnt want to live in?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:40 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Mmmm - so quite an unrealistic amount to budget then by the looks.

Does anybody know if there are any schemes like affordable housing etc. like they have in the UK?
Also,
Is there anything like council houses and if so are they like the UK - like whole estates that you wouldnt want to live in?

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...300&px=350&o=p

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=any&t=ren&o=p

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1208720802

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1208721009

Last edited by brendarover; Apr 20th 2008 at 7:52 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:50 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We moved into our unfurnished rental in February. It's a brand-new house. Rent is $390 a week. It's a 3 x 2 with study/4th bedroom and ducted aircon.

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.