Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average Ozzie Wage.. An Answer

Average Ozzie Wage.. An Answer

Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:34 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Average Ozzie Wage.. An Answer

This might help everyone who wants to know what an average wage is

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...5E3102,00.html

and this should help work out how much you get to take home.

http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxcal...ndard_hire.asp

Shane
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Average Ozzie Wage.. An Answer

Thanks for the links shane, very useful esp. the tax calculator one.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 5:18 pm
India-M'chester-Syd('05)

base_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Average Ozzie Wage.. An Answer

Hi

Thanx for the info. I have sent you some karma.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Average Ozzie Wage.. An Answer

The quoted State Average Wage Figures for anyone that doesn't look at the link are:

ACT - $ 56,227
NSW - $51,760
VIC - $50,403.
WA - $50,013
QLD - $47,403
SA - $46,444
TAS - $45,682

Overall Australian Average $50,013 (Male & Female)

Overall Australian Male full-time Average $52,856
Overall Australian Female full-time Average $44,928

Male full time figure not quoted, but calculated based on this quote: On $44,928 a year, the average full-time female worker brings home 15 per cent less than her male counterpart.
This means the average Male Full time worker gets $52,856

Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The quoted State Average Wage Figures for anyone that doesn't look at the link are:

ACT - $ 56,227
NSW - $51,760
VIC - $50,403.
WA - $50,013
QLD - $47,403
SA - $46,444
TAS - $45,682

Male full time figure not quoted, but calculated based on this quote: On $44,928 a year, the average full-time female worker brings home 15 per cent less than her male counterpart.
I am surprised that Perth is on par with VIC and only 1,700 less than NSW, given I had heard that wages etc in Perth were not great compared to Eastern Cities. Some good news for us heading for Perth. Obviously the case is possibly that there are less jobs overall in Perth and there is a sudden influx of people (Jan and Feb 05 if this board is anything to go by) the jobs will be even more in competition, but given I am sure someone posted info about Perth's (or was it WA as a whole) unemployment was at a 20 year low or something like that.

I suppose the flip side of this is that if the economy in OZ is doing well, the exchange rate is adversely affected for those heading out there.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:23 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by darkless
I am surprised that Perth is on par with VIC and only 1,700 less than NSW, given I had heard that wages etc in Perth were not great compared to Eastern Cities.
The WA figure surprised me, as I keep hearing about people moving from WA to QLD for the better wages

Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

The WA figure surprised me, as I keep hearing about people moving from WA to QLD for the better wages
Mind you perhaps the average is skewed. When I was last in Perth (April) i remember someone telling me that there are more millionaires living in Perth than any other Aussie city (another fact which surprised me). I guess if the 'average' wages are taking into account a few percent of extremely high earners, the average will be skewed, although probably only very slightly.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:06 am
ABCDiamond

Mind you perhaps the average is skewed. When I was last in Perth (April) i remember someone telling me that there are more millionaires living in Perth than any other Aussie city (another fact which surprised me). I guess if the 'average' wages are taking into account a few percent of extremely high earners, the average will be skewed, although probably only very slightly.
You are right, I got this info from a WA website:
Perth has the highest population per capita of self made millionaires in the world
Now we need to find the "median" wages

OK so i just found some old figures for that:
Australian median annual wage and salary income

1995-96 $26,309
1996-97 $26,919
1997-98 $27,775
1998-99 $28,705
1999-00 $29,509
2000-01 $30,470

The government wage figures come from
Wage and salary income
Includes gross income as shown on the 'PAYG (Pay As You Go) payment summary - individual non-business' as well as allowances, commissions, bonuses, tips, gratuities, consultation fees, honoraria and other payments for services. Allowances and other earnings may include car, travel or transport allowances, allowances for tools, clothing or laundry and dirt, risk, meal or entertainment allowances, etc. The statistics were compiled from questions 1 and 2 on the individual income tax return - This would not include the compulsory Super payments from Employers
I also found some older figures that compared a few averages against the medians of the same areas:
average $36,387.00 = median $31,903.00
average $30,511.00 = median $27,938.00
average $27,444.00 = median $25,410.00
But there is no logical comparison, other than the median being an average of about 10% less than the average, of those 3 figures

Jeez, I used to get paid for doing stuff like this once

Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]You are right, I got this info from a WA website:
QUOTE]

I guess the question would be - did they make their money in WA or elsewhere and then subsequently move to Perth.

I have to say that having a bit of an entraprenuerial streak, I look around Perth and see so many opportunities for making money, assuming you are willing to put effort into it.

For me, I am not going to OZ to take early retirement, sit on the beach slowly using up the relatively small amount of money I made on my house here in the UK. I am 28, and am looking forward to applying my skills to creating a successful business, and should I become one of the millionaire statistics you quoted - happy days!! then I will retire!!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

I have to say that having a bit of an entraprenuerial streak, I look around Perth and see so many opportunities for making money, assuming you are willing to put effort into it.

For me, I am not going to OZ to take early retirement, sit on the beach slowly using up the relatively small amount of money I made on my house here in the UK. I am 28, and am looking forward to applying my skills to creating a successful business, and should I become one of the millionaire statistics you quoted - happy days!! then I will retire!!
I wish you all the best, and hope you do well.

I recall when I was first here, in my early 30's, with just a few thousand $'s left in my bank, (after a 2 year big-spending holiday ) but like you I had an "an entraprenuerial streak", and "the will to put the effort into it", and I did what you are looking at doing.

If what you say is right, then I'm glad i'm not in Perth, I may get tempted to do it all again But this is now my decade for Holiday time

Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

I wish you all the best, and hope you do well.

I recall when I was first here, in my early 30's, with just a few thousand $'s left in my bank, (after a 2 year big-spending holiday ) but like you I had an "an entraprenuerial streak", and "the will to put the effort into it", and I did what you are looking at doing.

If what you say is right, then I'm glad i'm not in Perth, I may get tempted to do it all again But this is now my decade for Holiday time
So i guess the question was, when you tried it, did you succeed or am i just chasing an impossible goal (actually an entrapreneur wouldn't say that - they wouldnt have any doubt about reaching their goals!!)

It sounds like you may well deserve your holiday decade, and i hope that i am able to do that at some point in the future also

Cheers
Dave
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=darkless]
You are right, I got this info from a WA website:
QUOTE]

I guess the question would be - did they make their money in WA or elsewhere and then subsequently move to Perth.
In a word Mining, a lot of old money made by families way back. Want high wages also look at Mining.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:38 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

ACT - $ 56,227
NSW - $51,760
VIC - $50,403.
WA - $50,013
QLD - $47,403
SA - $46,444
TAS - $45,682

Am surprised at Perth, nurses, police, trades all start about the 38K so don't know where they get 50K from unless this is fully trained, had a few wage rises etc. Have to say though hubby is a roofer and getting it but we thought that was rather unusal
Jenny
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
Am surprised at Perth, nurses, police, trades all start about the 38K so don't know where they get 50K from unless this is fully trained, had a few wage rises etc. Have to say though hubby is a roofer and getting it but we thought that was rather unusal
Jenny
It goes back to mines again, work out there you can earn $80,000, not much of a life tho.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

BUMP for ozzieeagle! Old thread!

Good point about the median and average. And about WA and mining.

I don't think most of the people on this forum are coming out here to go and work in the Outback, 12 hour shifts, 2/3 weeks up, one week home.....!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.