Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average monthly outgoings

Wikiposts

Average monthly outgoings

Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:13 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Average monthly outgoings

Originally Posted by busterboy
All per month as per previous poster (except those like food that say weekly). f/t as indicated.
OK, AU$1,100 for 1 child for 1 month. How many days/hours does that cover?

- CDM
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

Hi,

Hubby and I are moving to melbourne 10th august; can anyone let me know roughly how much you get back toward rent through your LAFHA ? any ideas / suggestion welcome as we are trying to work out what we can afford to pay rent wise?

Just got 457 visa approved so pannicking now!

thanks

Claire
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:17 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clairemoir
Hi,

Hubby and I are moving to melbourne 10th august; can anyone let me know roughly how much you get back toward rent through your LAFHA ? any ideas / suggestion welcome as we are trying to work out what we can afford to pay rent wise?

Just got 457 visa approved so pannicking now!

thanks

Claire
I think you negotiate your LAFHA with the employer, not all 457 holders get it (I don't).
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:42 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
OK, AU$1,100 for 1 child for 1 month. How many days/hours does that cover?

- CDM
Full time = 5 full days
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:17 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Going to x-ref with this one:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544442
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:42 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Full time = 5 full days
That's incredibly cheap compared to the UK. I have 2 kids that go to nursery 1 day a week and the monthly cost is £320.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

So - to one of the really important issues...

How much is a slab of VB??

CDM - that's sounds pretty pricey anyway - our two lads used to go for two days a week and it worked out about 450 per month.

Where are you based, just wondering if that is influencing your cost???

Colin
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:46 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
That's incredibly cheap compared to the UK. I have 2 kids that go to nursery 1 day a week and the monthly cost is £320.
What can I say - it is $270 per week fulltime. I do not live in an innercity suburb which may influence price. I also chose a small independent nursery.

I can't remeber what I paid in the Uk but it did seem more expensive than this.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

maxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LoveAlab
Monthly outgoings for family of 2 adults and 3 kids in Brisbane.

Husband works full time as truck driver and I work part time as a nurse.

Electricity $140.00
Car Insurance for one car $ 40.00
Health Insurance $175.00
Home Insurance $ 36.00
Telephone and Internet $100.00
Rates and Water $200.00
Foxtel $ 90.00
Life Insurance (2 adults) $112.00
Pet Insurance (Dog and 2 Cats) $ 59.00
School fees (2 at catholic
secondary school) $700.00
Food and wine and beer weekly $300.00
Petrol per week $ 80.00
Kids bus money and extras weekly $100.00

No mortgage or rent
Never have any spare cash left over either
Great Help, Quick Question.

The $300 for food & $100 Extras, is that $400 / week or $400 over the month.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:09 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
What can I say - it is $270 per week fulltime. I do not live in an innercity suburb which may influence price. I also chose a small independent nursery.

I can't remeber what I paid in the Uk but it did seem more expensive than this.
We used to pay £1320 per month for full time nursery 8am to 6pm. We now pay $A1394 full time from 7.30am to 6pm. Not really anything in it £ to $ but remember its not £ you are going to be earning, and is getting a place that is harder.

Do not remember paying a great entry fee into some ELC but we pay around $1400 for entry over here. This is ELC Early Learning Centres and private for children over 3.

Ps Comparing Melbourne (central) versus west sussex in UK.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CDM

ouch
! mine goes to childminder.. my youngest goes to nursery (9-12:20) and eldest is in school full-time (9-3)
averagely now, i pay £450 a month for both!!!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

LoveAlab will become famous soon enoughLoveAlab will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maxtye
Great Help, Quick Question.

The $300 for food & $100 Extras, is that $400 / week or $400 over the month.

Its per week, $300 covers all our food, including one or two takeaways, a few beers and a few bottles of wine. The $100 for extras is mainly for kids lunches (which I could make but am lazy) and bus money, and any other incidentals the kids need during the week.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:25 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by LoveAlab
Its per week, $300 covers all our food, including one or two takeaways, a few beers and a few bottles of wine. The $100 for extras is mainly for kids lunches (which I could make but am lazy) and bus money, and any other incidentals the kids need during the week.
I could agree with this. I find some weeks I pay $125 for shopping (usually the week where I do not go to the butchers). Other weeks are nappy and milk and butcher meat weeks and the total is nearer $200 per week.

I also have lunch costs for both my OH and I if we haven't prepared anything.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocCake

ouch
! mine goes to childminder.. my youngest goes to nursery (9-12:20) and eldest is in school full-time (9-3)
averagely now, i pay £450 a month for both!!!
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but oz schools generally operate really good before and after school clubs, an idea they were just thinking about in the UK previous to us leaving. I think it works out to be something like $8 per child before school (6.30 - 8.30) and $11 after school (3.00 - 6.00).