Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average cost of an average house build in an average area?

Wikiposts

Average cost of an average house build in an average area?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:04 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Average cost of an average house build in an average area?

My parents (happily living back in NSW after 40 years over here) have been sending me real estate literature regularly, including approved building plots. One of these plots includes permission for two houses - so the thought occured to me - why not build two houses (economies of scale, use of same builders etc) on the land and earn a few dollars in the process. So I was just wondering if anyone had a ball-park figure for a bog-standard 4 bedroom home. Doesn't have to be anything precise since this is just a 'what if' scenario - but some vague idea of cost would be nice.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average cost of an average house build in an average area?

Originally Posted by Hutch
My parents (happily living back in NSW after 40 years over here) have been sending me real estate literature regularly, including approved building plots. One of these plots includes permission for two houses - so the thought occured to me - why not build two houses (economies of scale, use of same builders etc) on the land and earn a few dollars in the process. So I was just wondering if anyone had a ball-park figure for a bog-standard 4 bedroom home. Doesn't have to be anything precise since this is just a 'what if' scenario - but some vague idea of cost would be nice.
Don't know, but I can tell you, you will be one of thousands thinking the same thing. I was stunned when I went to visit houses and auctions where the land had permission to be sub-divided, the places were always swarming with developers, builders and people with your same idea.

I don't know if you'd make much in the current housing price climate, you'd have to do the maths and stick to the limit you set yourself when bidding on the house, and of course factor in unexpected extras.

Also alot of the ones you'd be bidding against would be builders, who could get mates rates, so they could bid higher than you for the property yet still make a profit.

Cheers,
JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 28th 2005 at 9:58 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

New builds used to be quoted in $x per square (100 sq ft in pre-metric days with 20 squares plus being on the larger side of average).

I dare say others on the ground can quote typical figures these days (?) Are you also looking for an average builder using average priced materials in an average priced state on a site an average distance for deliveries with average access to the blocks and average weather when building construction takes place?

OzTennis
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:07 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

our 4 bed house in Qld is costing just under $200,000, as we were quoted 161 days from start to finish.....that incluses weekends and bad weather days public hols etc
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:31 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Price can depend on the release from the building company if you are looking at land and home packages, as well as area. I'm no expert ion this area but I would think your best bet would be to bring as much funds as you can here, get a modest rental for a while ( until you have settled and been working a while). By then you will be more aware and have abeeter grasp of local conditions where you are. Could be $200,000 as Biggsy said, could be double that. It all depends.