Reload this Page >

Availability of Automotive Management Jobs

Availability of Automotive Management Jobs

Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

markymarkncaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Availability of Automotive Management Jobs

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are both 32 years old and have been seriously considering moving to Australia with our two Children aged 8 and 4 to seek a better quality of live for us all.

We have been looking most closely at Melbourne on the internet as it sounds as though it is the area that will suit us most, however we plan to visit there within the next year or so as it is obviously impossible to choose a place to live based only on internet information.

My question is on the subject of finding work. My Husband is the main breadwinner in our family as has been a Aftersales Manager for a busy car dealership for nearly 9 years. Prior to that he qualified as a Vehicle Technician although he does not particually want to go back on the tools anymore.

Can anyone advice me if motor industry management jobs are in demand in Australia? I would also be grateful if anyone can provide me with links for Australian automotive job search websites.

If possible I would like to speak to anyone who is in the motor trade and now living in Australia. Any help and advice will be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Caroline xx
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Availability of Automotive Management Jobs

Take a look at www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au for jobs in his field.

Just as an aside, what visa are you planning to move over here on? Look at www.immi.gov.au to see whether you are even eligible?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply and the helpful links.

I believe we will be eligable on a Skilled - Independent - Migrant (subclass 175) visa.

Any other advice you can provide will be gratefully appreciated.

Caroline xx
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

You should be aware that car sales have more-or-less dropped off a cliff recently so if you're looking to make a move soon you might find it harder than otherwise.
Some company names to research (in case you haven't figured them out already) are Ford, Holden and Toyota who all have manufacturing operations in Victoria. I also *think* that Mercedes have some sort of large facility in SE Melbourne which I think is to do with some of their military contracts.

The following link might be useful background reading although it may not be immediately relevant to your question.

Autralian Govt Motor industry review
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you,

I must admit we do have concerns about the current global financial climate and the way it has created a slump in the motor trade. I have heard that so far, Australia has not been as effected by the credit crunch as many other countries. Is this true in your opinion?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markymarkncaz
Thank you,

I must admit we do have concerns about the current global financial climate and the way it has created a slump in the motor trade. I have heard that so far, Australia has not been as effected by the credit crunch as many other countries. Is this true in your opinion?
I believe it has not been hit as badly as other countries.

However, I think the bad news for Australia is about to come. In particular the half year reporting season to December 2008 is about to start and I expect there will be lots of write-downs and companies making record losses: therefore the next 6 weeks or so in particular will seem very bad.

Structurally Australia is hugely dependent on motor vehicles so I think longer-term there will always be opportunities for people in the motor industry.

The likes of Ford and Holden will need to re-work their business plans to start producing vehicles that people actually want to buy, however!