Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Automatic Pool Cleaner

Automatic Pool Cleaner

Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Automatic Pool Cleaner

My Baracuda is starting to fall apart. It belonged to the previous previous owner. Since I moved in the original hoses have all split and I replaced them with some non-original white ones. These don't bend enough and consequently the pool is not being cleaned properly. Often the head is resting on one part of the pool bottom.
Last week the plastic tube attached to the rubber diaphragm split and now the whole unit just vibrates rather than "bob".
It looks like to time to replace the whole thing but the Barracuda and Kreepy Krauley seem very expensive. That and the fact that I am thinking of downsizing to a house or unit without my own pool makes me want to buy something to tide me over. Any recommendations?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Automatic Pool Cleaner

Just get a new ring, cheap as chips, then you might need to adjust the flow rate due to the pressure build up or try backwashing
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

It's the plastic tube attached to the diaphragm that I need. Can't find any on ebay. Then there is the problem with the non-original hoses.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:23 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
It's the plastic tube attached to the diaphragm that I need. Can't find any on ebay. Then there is the problem with the non-original hoses.
have you tried clark rubber for either the tubes & spares or even a new creepy crawly. They stock a fair range of pool accesories & parts.

A good one is expensive, but a cheapo on ebay or clark rubber might only cost 150/200.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll give Clark Rubber a ring tomorrow. I think a new Kreepy is at least $500.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:39 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
I'll give Clark Rubber a ring tomorrow. I think a new Kreepy is at least $500.
what about this mob.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10-x-1M-AUTOM...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks I had already seen this advertiser when trawling for pool cleaners. Fact is they don't sell the plastic tube itself. I would be looking at buying a Kreepy clone from them if anything.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Bunnings have a non automatic vacum head (20-30$) that you attach to the hose and end of pole.
Takes 10 minutes to clean the pool manually.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually I have a similar one. It is like the head of a normal vacuum cleaner rectangular and flat. Problem is that the pool bottom is mostly not flat and it is a convoluted twist to clean the pool sides.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

This might be worth a look http://www.crazysales.com.au/index.php?productID=883
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mipik
Bunnings have a non automatic vacum head (20-30$) that you attach to the hose and end of pole.
Takes 10 minutes to clean the pool manually.
I agree with Mipik. I bought a barracuda auto cleaner which cost $800 and never ever cleans the pool thoroughly no matter how long it's left in there. It's also an eye sore and gets in the way when going for a swim, or is a hassle to take it out. It really doesn't take long to clean it out by hand especially if you get a continuous hose that you don't have to assemble. It does require somewhere to coil it down for storage though. But at least the pool will be clean all over.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Hey, look how long I've been a member. Anyone beat that?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

The local pool shop sell the plastic tube thingy for A$51 - ouch! A new pool cleaner with hose (albeit of an unknown brand) can be bought off ebay for around A$40 plus shipping.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by furkew
have you tried clark rubber for either the tubes & spares or even a new creepy crawly. They stock a fair range of pool accesories & parts.
Clark Rubber have the plastic tube thingy for A$59. A new system may be my best option.