autism

Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:07 am
Just Joined

anandapurr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default autism

Hi everyone, I'm in the UK atm. Migrating to Oz by 4th May 2012.... A BIG question for us is where to in Australia to head??? We have a 7 year old with autism - anyone hear or know where best schools / services would be. I know they differ from one part to another but I'm trying to work out the best place for us - I'll be leaving all my support behind here so want to make the transition as easy as I possibly can for my son and us. Any ideas would be very welcomed. He currently attends special school although I would class his disability as mild to moderate. He's doing really great..... smashing kid!

So 'big wide world of knowledge people' please send replies if you know.

Thank you so much

Anita
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: autism

Hi Anita,

I hope you find your answers soon. Oz is a big place, but I'm sure there will be lots of places that would be able to provide the support you need for autism.

There will some peeps along soon enough with advice (I hope).
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anandapurr
Hi everyone, I'm in the UK atm. Migrating to Oz by 4th May 2012.... A BIG question for us is where to in Australia to head??? We have a 7 year old with autism - anyone hear or know where best schools / services would be. I know they differ from one part to another but I'm trying to work out the best place for us - I'll be leaving all my support behind here so want to make the transition as easy as I possibly can for my son and us. Any ideas would be very welcomed. He currently attends special school although I would class his disability as mild to moderate. He's doing really great..... smashing kid!

Thank you so much

Anita
Do you have a visa? That might be your first stumbling block. Basically, if your child requires special education or support he may not pass the medical. But, if he does pass the medical he will likely be classed as too high functioning for support.

There have been lots of discussions about autism/aspergers on here over the years. Do a search and you'll find some of us with ASD kids who've shared our experiences with the education system.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Do you have a visa? That might be your first stumbling block. Basically, if your child requires special education or support he may not pass the medical. But, if he does pass the medical he will likely be classed as too high functioning for support.

There have been lots of discussions about autism/aspergers on here over the years. Do a search and you'll find some of us with ASD kids who've shared our experiences with the education system.
Thanks Dorothy We do have our visa's...... very very long story - I should write a book really. The immigration departments in both Perth and UK have shown so much compassion and understanding;really outstanding. Our little chap was diagnosed the month he had his medical and refused 1st time but then granted on appeal. I am very active in the autism world over here, but am just stuck as where to base ourselves bearing autism in mind. We have contacts in Sydney, Perth, Melbourne and now Queensland..... nobody's come up with anything yet!! I'll keep looking in on here though - thank you Anita
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Go where you can get a job and you have the best support network.

Services for kids with autism arent that much different from state to state - eligibility for services are probably tougher in Vic than other states so it might be wise to try other states first. Some states have integrated therapies into schools whereas other jurisdictions choose to have a family based service but wherever you go actual therapy from a speech therapist is probably going to be very light on - they may give a program for an aide or yourselves to work on

Dont expect services though, just because of a diagnosis. Bring with you IQ, adaptive behaviour, speech therapy assessments plus the scores on whatever tools used to make the diagnosis and the qualifications of the person/team who made the assessment. Some states will want to do their own assessments and other states will take what you have got as long as it is expert and current. Increasingly you are going to need adaptive behaviour assessments and you are better getting them from teachers who know your child in an educational setting at the moment. Expect little and be grateful for what you do get (special ed budgets are strapped because they tend to be finite pies with an increasing number of people all wanting a slice of it - they are geared to cater for the lowest 2% pretty much across the board)

Edited to say most states have pared back their special school programs in favour of inclusion support (or integration support) in mainstream so you may well not get a special school offer but if you are lucky you might get a unit offer in a mainstream setting (ACT has several special schools for moderate to severe disabilities so that might be something to consider)
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

We are in the NT and have a 9 yr old diagnosed with Asperger's. Can't advise on which state has better facilities. I think it also has to do with the schools themselves.

It may be worth getting in touch with relevant organisations over here and asking their opinions/ advice.

Eg
Theasdclinic.com.au is in Melbourne
Autismsa.org.au in South Australia
Autismnt.com.au in the NT.

I'm sure each state has similar organisations.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Having some support for yourself is equally important so it may be a good idea to look at a place where you already have some friends.

Jilliebee x
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

We live in Brisbane and my twins school has several children with various forms of autism there and they are all doing brilliantly. The parents seem really pleased with how the school works with them. This is a Catholic school.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 6:24 am
Just Joined

cornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nice

Thank you so much

Anita

If your son has had regular speech pathology and occupational therapy and you want access to these services don't just look at schools but also where you might access these through both the public and private sectors. the more rural the locality the less access to a range of therapies.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Go where you can get a job and you have the best support network.

Services for kids with autism arent that much different from state to state - eligibility for services are probably tougher in Vic than other states so it might be wise to try other states first. Some states have integrated therapies into schools whereas other jurisdictions choose to have a family based service but wherever you go actual therapy from a speech therapist is probably going to be very light on - they may give a program for an aide or yourselves to work on

Dont expect services though, just because of a diagnosis. Bring with you IQ, adaptive behaviour, speech therapy assessments plus the scores on whatever tools used to make the diagnosis and the qualifications of the person/team who made the assessment. Some states will want to do their own assessments and other states will take what you have got as long as it is expert and current. Increasingly you are going to need adaptive behaviour assessments and you are better getting them from teachers who know your child in an educational setting at the moment. Expect little and be grateful for what you do get (special ed budgets are strapped because they tend to be finite pies with an increasing number of people all wanting a slice of it - they are geared to cater for the lowest 2% pretty much across the board)

Edited to say most states have pared back their special school programs in favour of inclusion support (or integration support) in mainstream so you may well not get a special school offer but if you are lucky you might get a unit offer in a mainstream setting (ACT has several special schools for moderate to severe disabilities so that might be something to consider)
thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'll certainly use all the info I get from to help us decide Have a great w/e - it's raining in the UK!!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi.

We are in the NT and have a 9 yr old diagnosed with Asperger's. Can't advise on which state has better facilities. I think it also has to do with the schools themselves.

It may be worth getting in touch with relevant organisations over here and asking their opinions/ advice.

Eg
Theasdclinic.com.au is in Melbourne
Autismsa.org.au in South Australia
Autismnt.com.au in the NT.

I'm sure each state has similar organisations.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Having some support for yourself is equally important so it may be a good idea to look at a place where you already have some friends.

Jilliebee x
thanks...... I have similar thoughts to yourself but it's good to hear that from someone 'removed' from me! thank you for taking time to reply, Anita x
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
We live in Brisbane and my twins school has several children with various forms of autism there and they are all doing brilliantly. The parents seem really pleased with how the school works with them. This is a Catholic school.
thank you - I'm just looking at Brisbane. All these little bits of information / advice really helps regards, Anita
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cornishoz
If your son has had regular speech pathology and occupational therapy and you want access to these services don't just look at schools but also where you might access these through both the public and private sectors. the more rural the locality the less access to a range of therapies.
thanks, I'd not thought about the more rural locations having less 'services' to offer... something else to add to my list! best regards, Anita
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:52 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Brisbane and have 6 years old with ASD.
Very little support in public schools and you have to fight tooth and claw for it. Changing to a private school next year, they can be hit and miss as well but some like having ASD kids because of the extra funding.

thank you - I'm just looking at Brisbane. All these little bits of information / advice really helps regards, Anita
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
We live in Brisbane and have 6 years old with ASD.
Very little support in public schools and you have to fight tooth and claw for it. Changing to a private school next year, they can be hit and miss as well but some like having ASD kids because of the extra funding.
Im up in darwin with a 9 year old son with Aspergers, in the public system he spent most his time in the head teachers office.
WE arrived in June 2010 and found it hard getting a school to accept him. Luckily at the start of this school year we got him into a private school and things have much better. Ive got a meeting with the school next week to plan next years support, as he will finally get a teaching assistant the school applied for the funding and have been succesful.
With Austism it really is different where ever you live. Some pockets of places can be amazing for kids , others not so good. I have founf the public mental health system to be lacking for my son. However i go privatly for him to see a child psychologist using a mental health plan and she has been amazing for my son and us. I also get carers allowance $100 fortnightly is not much but ive also got a consession card so his meds are so much cheaper too.
Good luck
Mandy
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:53 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that sounds like us, he got suspended a few times.
Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Im up in darwin with a 9 year old son with Aspergers, in the public system he spent most his time in the head teachers office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.