Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Austrlia Vs Canada

Austrlia Vs Canada

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:35 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Austrlia Vs Canada

Originally Posted by shafanm
oh boy. the australian water scenario seem very scary,
Throughout human evolution process, mankind has made water the main consideration for settlement, Believe me still that should be one of the main consideration although most people do not realized this until....

Countries like saudi arabia with a population of 20 million is fully dependent on desalinated water, hence as long as there is a sea around, water may be expensive but should'nt be a life threatening issue,
Yes Saudi Arabai has about the same population as OZ and l think they get almost no rain at all while OZ gets quite a bit during winter atleast, Saudi Arabia manages to get by with de salinated sea water so OZ could do the same if it has to.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Quality of beer and wine do give Australia a bit of an edge though....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:06 am
Just Joined

cczmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Austrlia Vs Canada

I agree with Aussieeagle. Water is going to be the biggie here. We live near Albert Park, shortly to be holding the Grand Prix. On the TV you'll see nice green verges by the track, mainly because there's been a watering tanker going round every day for the last month. Says "storm water" on the side but allegedly it isn't and is straight out of the lake. The rest of the park resembles a desert - there has been no meaningful rain since before Christmas.

If you think politicians are inept in the UK just wait until you get here (Victoria). Most electricity is brown-coal generated (the dirtiest possible method), last year at the same time the water storages were 38% and now they are 34% or even less. The fires have affected one of the key damns (meaning much less runoff due to having to replant). Some solar rebates have recently been discontinued! And yet there is an unbelievable apparent lack of investment in the required infrastructure (apart from the desal plant) which I reckon will need 10 years.

When it comes to water, the old aussie "she'll be right" attitude just isn't going to cut it. Some serious planning and $$$ is going to be needed, and soon...
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:11 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cczmark
I agree with Aussieeagle. Water is going to be the biggie here. We live near Albert Park, shortly to be holding the Grand Prix. On the TV you'll see nice green verges by the track, mainly because there's been a watering tanker going round every day for the last month. Says "storm water" on the side but allegedly it isn't and is straight out of the lake. The rest of the park resembles a desert - there has been no meaningful rain since before Christmas.

If you think politicians are inept in the UK just wait until you get here (Victoria). Most electricity is brown-coal generated (the dirtiest possible method), last year at the same time the water storages were 38% and now they are 34% or even less. The fires have affected one of the key damns (meaning much less runoff due to having to replant). Some solar rebates have recently been discontinued! And yet there is an unbelievable apparent lack of investment in the required infrastructure (apart from the desal plant) which I reckon will need 10 years.

When it comes to water, the old aussie "she'll be right" attitude just isn't going to cut it. Some serious planning and $$$ is going to be needed, and soon...
l thought they were going to build a de-salination plant in Victoria but some people were protesting that it would wreck their local beach, is it still going to go ahead?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
l thought they were going to build a de-salination plant in Victoria but some people were protesting that it would wreck their local beach, is it still going to go ahead?
Yes they are building a desal plant......and the "she'll be apples" people will believe that that's the end of the matter.

I don't know the Vic numbers but in SE Qld the daily water consumption is something like 600ML/day. The desal plant is capable of producing 120ML/day.....do you see the problem? I don't think the Qld desal plant came online as planned anyway as it started rusting before it even pumped water!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony

Read my post, it is going ahead, it is going to double Victorias water rates, it isnt enough by a long shot, and it the biggest in the world.

They need at least one more the same size just to keep pace with what the situation was in 1980.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
Quality of beer and wine do give Australia a bit of an edge though....

Quality of beer??

Is this a joke?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Quality of beer??

Is this a joke?
Only to you - I like Australian beer - and perhaps it does compare favourably with Canadian beer...
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Only to you - I like Australian beer - and perhaps it does compare favourably with Canadian beer...
Like comparing shite with piss?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Like comparing shite with piss?
Get away with you. Which do you prefer, shite or piss? You don't know until you
've tasted them.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Get away with you. Which do you prefer, shite or piss? You don't know until you
've tasted them.

I've tasted Australian beer though and they can't be that different
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've tasted Australian beer though and they can't be that different
It's an acquired taste. Thankfully the smell is not comparable.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Oh....and I have tasted piss.....it used to be an old test for diabetes.

remarkably similar to Tooheys if I remember correctly
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Cedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chikicheeta
My initial research indicate Canada is a Better Place to live in all aspect, except for wheather, One of the main reason for the Australian boom was the chinies economy, which kept things good for OZ. hence the boom, Since Chinies are now in a economic soup, so are all those who were dependent on them. and the recovery of the chinies economy would be very slower. This is why there is a lot of call for cut in migration to australia

Canada is concern they were dependent on the US economy, but unlike the chinies economy the US economy is likely to come out of the mess sooner, This is why there are no plans for cut in migration.

Further if you are a canadian and not satisfies things over there you could move to US without any paperwork under NAFTA. where as in OZ one is stuck.
Further I observe in canada there is a sence of Welcoming for the migrants where as in OZ they want migrant mainly to fill their labour shortage.

this is my opinion I could be wrong, all are welcom to share their opinion.
I don't know anything about the legal or financial aspects of moving to either place. I only know that Australians don't like the "poms", as they call us (though it's their own ancestors who were Prisoners Of Her Majesty!) and having spent a short time in Canada (one year), where I made several friends, (about 700% more than I had made in Australia in 30 years), I would recommend Canada. A lovely country. I enjoyed the winter as well as the summer. though I was in British Columbia which is not as cold as further east, it only got to 17 degrees below freezing the year we were there. The people seemed normal, no bragging about how much better they were than everyone else in the world, so you could just communicate normally. No walking on eggshells.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cedar
I don't know anything about the legal or financial aspects of moving to either place. I only know that Australians don't like the "poms", as they call us (though it's their own ancestors who were Prisoners Of Her Majesty!) and having spent a short time in Canada (one year), where I made several friends, (about 700% more than I had made in Australia in 30 years), I would recommend Canada. A lovely country. I enjoyed the winter as well as the summer. though I was in British Columbia which is not as cold as further east, it only got to 17 degrees below freezing the year we were there. The people seemed normal, no bragging about how much better they were than everyone else in the world, so you could just communicate normally. No walking on eggshells.
I'm glad you've made friends in Canada, but you could have just found a nice place in Canada and a not so nice one in Australia. I think that sometimes there's a bit of luck involved with where you move. I guess I've been really lucky because I've found extremely nice people in both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.