Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Austrlia Vs Canada

Austrlia Vs Canada

Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austrlia Vs Canada

Originally Posted by torcraw
Prices in Toronto area this morning are CAD 86 cents a liter, or about AUD$1.06. (prices were only CAD 78 cents a liter four days ago, so it's jumped quite a bit since last week).

Checking out motormouth.com.au and just picking a random suburb in a major city (i selected Oakleigh/Camberwell near Melbourne), that website is showing current prices there at AUD$1.24 a liter.
It's about AUD$1.13 around our area as we don't pay as much tax as Melbourne. So about 7 cents difference to yours I guess...ours was a lot cheaper recently as well....down to AUD89c.....assuming you can directly compare on exchange rates which I doubt.

Your point is taken though....most of us realise that the fuel has traditionally been a lot cheaper in North America even if our politicians ignore that.

Those in Europe would probably argue that high costs have led to smaller cars and less emissions...
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shafanm
what ever bad is said about canada, they have 178 billion barrels of proven oil reserves, which is second only to Saudi Arabia. Whereas OZ has only 350 million barrels of proven reserved. This is alone sufficient to keep their economy in the top 10 for a considerably long period.

I think planting your self in Canada is safe. as long as oil does not hit, below $20 a barrel.
What has number of oil barrels got to do with anything, would not come on top of the list when considering where to migrate to.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Well, Dorothy, I am in my 40's too. to be honest, for me living above 70 yrs is just taxing yourself and your loved ones, besides by that time of age one should have fulfilled all his life obligation, and prolonging death is nothing but agonising.
Die when active, so you can take care of things by your self in heaven or hell.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

IMO the canadian immigration system is a vicious circle, although one can gain sufficient points to gain entry, they are usually prevented from working in skilled labour posts due to lack of experience with a canadian employer. Professionals like dentists require full-time study at university for several years before being permitted to sit the appropriate canadian exams..not possible unless one can maintain themselves. UK qualifications are usually acceptable in aust without further study or sitting exams.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:46 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by laguna33p
What has number of oil barrels got to do with anything, would not come on top of the list when considering where to migrate to.
Yes if which country has more oil barrels is so important to immigrate then Saudi Arabia or Iran.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, Dorothy, I am in my 40's too. to be honest, for me living above 70 yrs is just taxing yourself and your loved ones, besides by that time of age one should have fulfilled all his life obligation, and prolonging death is nothing but agonising.
You've obviously not met my grandmother. My grandmother is 76 or 77 now and she goes to the gym 3-4 times a week to work out. She also played racquetball until she was about 76 and was still managing to beat some of the young guys at the gym. She could've whooped my butt while she was playing. She only quit because it was getting a bit hard on the joints. She still goes for really long bike rides through the city though.

She also was windsurving and waterskiing until she was about 75, regularly too during the summertime. Age is just a number, it depends on how you feel. Some people age better than others, in my mothers family they age very well. We had quite a few 80 year olds jummping in the water to go waterskiing at our family reunion, they of course had to take their hearing aids and teeth out first.... but they did it!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Yeah, We more often compare things to Europe and the UK....sometimes to Canada and the US.

BTW...isn't your petrol $CAD 90c vs mine at $AUS 1.05 until recently. Doesn't seem all that different or do I have it wrong?
When you account for the exchange rate it works out to be pretty much on par.
You obviously have not met my mother or my late father. My mother is 84 and golfs 4 times a week, teaches dance classes at the local seniors centre, volunteers at the local library stocking shelves and lives in a 3rd floor walkup apartment.

My father was 88 when he died 2 1/2 months ago and up until a couple of months before his death from cancer he also was very active. He taught computer/internet/email use to seniors, ran the senior centre Scrabble club, walked at least 2 km per day, golfed once per week (he stopped playing so much with my mother because she beat him every time), babysat his great grandchildren regularly. He only gave up driving 8 or 9 months prior to his death because his doctor told him the chemo drugs would probably impair his vision and that it was better if my mother drove instead.

So, no. I don't intend to die before age 70. I intend to live well into my 80's or 90's. I intend to live an active life and contribute just the way my parents did/do. And by the way, I don't subscribe to the notions of heaven or hell.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
When you account for the exchange rate it works out to be pretty much on par.

You obviously have not met my mother or my late father. My mother is 84 and golfs 4 times a week, teaches dance classes at the local seniors centre, volunteers at the local library stocking shelves and lives in a 3rd floor walkup apartment.

My father was 88 when he died 2 1/2 months ago and up until a couple of months before his death from cancer he also was very active. He taught computer/internet/email use to seniors, ran the senior centre Scrabble club, walked at least 2 km per day, golfed once per week (he stopped playing so much with my mother because she beat him every time), babysat his great grandchildren regularly. He only gave up driving 8 or 9 months prior to his death because his doctor told him the chemo drugs would probably impair his vision and that it was better if my mother drove instead.

So, no. I don't intend to die before age 70. I intend to live well into my 80's or 90's. I intend to live an active life and contribute just the way my parents did/do. And by the way, I don't subscribe to the notions of heaven or hell.
Does the fuel rates above take into account the difference in octanes?

Typically (the lowest) in Australia it's 91 grade, and in Ontario it was 87. So if you are going to compare fuel prices make sure it's 91 to 91.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdnexpat

Typically (the lowest) in Australia it's 91 grade, and in Ontario it was 87. So if you are going to compare fuel prices make sure it's 91 to 91.
I have to fill my car up today so I'll check what octane it is here. I thought it was 87 or 89 but don't really know for sure.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The same also goes for comparing UK prices where the minimum allowed RON is 95.....clearly UK consumers don't have the option of anything lower, but 95 is likely to offer more mpg and better performance.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have to fill my car up today so I'll check what octane it is here. I thought it was 87 or 89 but don't really know for sure.
I'm pretty sure it's 91 in Australia - I can't vouch for every state, but when I compared prices with Toronto (back in July when I was there) it was the same. I had to of course compare with the "premium 91 grade" that was available at Petro Canada and other gas stations.

The "premium" grade in Oz is 97 as far as I know.

The lowest I saw was 87 in Ontario - most of the regular gas stations sell this as their normal grade.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
The same also goes for comparing UK prices where the minimum allowed RON is 95.....clearly UK consumers don't have the option of anything lower, but 95 is likely to offer more mpg and better performance.
I think most countries (in the future) will force higher octane petrol/gas as it's cleaner burning. Might just take some time for them to get there though.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

I'm pretty sure it's 91 in Australia - I can't vouch for every state, but when I compared prices with Toronto (back in July when I was there) it was the same. I had to of course compare with the "premium 91 grade" that was available at Petro Canada and other gas stations.

The "premium" grade in Oz is 97 as far as I know.

The lowest I saw was 87 in Ontario - most of the regular gas stations sell this as their normal grade.
Another thing I found when using some gas stations like Sunoco or Shell is that they "water down" their petrol. I'm not sure if this was just a local rumour in Toronto or actual reality - but you'll find that some gas stations actually give you worse milage for your petrol then others...so far haven't had that problem is Oz. All pretty much seem the same.

Anyone notice this problem in Oz?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:56 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Another thing I found when using some gas stations like Sunoco or Shell is that they "water down" their petrol. I'm not sure if this was just a local rumour in Toronto or actual reality - but you'll find that some gas stations actually give you worse milage for your petrol then others...so far haven't had that problem is Oz. All pretty much seem the same.

Anyone notice this problem in Oz?
My husband used to hate Shell in Canada, he said the gas never lasted as long and he could feel the truck run differently when using it.

Here, he really dislike using any sort of Shell station.
He always prefers to fill up at BP, for some reason he likes their gas (petrol). I must admit I have noticed the car run differently when we fill up at a Shell station, I used to think he was crazy though.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555
My husband used to hate Shell in Canada, he said the gas never lasted as long and he could feel the truck run differently when using it.

Here, he really dislike using any sort of Shell station.
He always prefers to fill up at BP, for some reason he likes their gas (petrol). I must admit I have noticed the car run differently when we fill up at a Shell station, I used to think he was crazy though.
So it isn't just me or my friends/family that thought this...Good to know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.