Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australias new tax rates from july 1 2006

Australias new tax rates from july 1 2006

Old May 10th 2006, 7:40 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australias new tax rates from july 1 2006

[QUOTE=Ray51]
Originally Posted by Amazulu
Australia's infrastructure is about right for the size of it's population...

A brave statement , for a country with no fast trains and hardly any decent motorways ?
do you mean hardly any decent motorways across the outback ? cos in the urban areas they seem ok 4 lanes in fact. no-one wants to drive across the outback and if they did make it motorways in the outback then it'd make it harder for the lone psycho unibomber nutcases who inhabit the outback to get their roadkill brunch and catch tourists for sado-masochistic torture/murder.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:41 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Ray51][QUOTE=Cosh Fulton]
Originally Posted by Ray51

Aeroplanes are faster than trains and boats.

...and much less : user-frendly , civilised and comfortable.
only in economy
Old May 10th 2006, 7:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Superannuation is a good system but there are good super funds & there are bad super funds & then there are downright crap super funds. Anyone who pays NI for a certain length of time (not sure what it is) is entitled to a state pension.
Could you tell that to Gordon - as regards the Australian retirees anyway? <g>
Old May 10th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
A few points...

I'm not a UK citizen, so I get no benefit from the pension component of my NI. That's just money down the drain, as far as I'm concerned.
Not true. As long as you work legally in the UK you will be contributing NI some of which goes towards your state pension.

Should you leave the UK, then as long as you make up your pension shortfall to reach the minimum no of 11 qualifying years for a man, then you'l bee entitled to a pension at retirement.

You can make these contribitions from abroad as class 2 or 3 NI.

Don't take my word for it...phone up the Department of Work and Pensions.

Regards
TC
Old May 10th 2006, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Superannuation is a good system but there are good super funds & there are bad super funds & then there are downright crap super funds. Anyone who pays NI for a certain length of time (not sure what it is) is entitled to a state pension.
Too true, super funds are usually investing in the share market, the returns go up and down then, this year and last many have made good returns, the 3 years prior to that many lost money or made 1/2%, plus there was a tax when you paid money in and tax when you took it out and there are fees deducted too. Many retirees needing to draw on funds in those years had far less than expected.
Old May 10th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. My super scheme with Post was protected against loss by the government, so that was a real bonus.

But will I get that state pension - or at least part of it - when I go back home?

I'm guessing the answer is "No."
You poor dear.

When I was in Oz I paid way too much tax for so-called public servants that "worked" short hours.

Oh, and my taxes protected your pension and those with protected jobs.

Looks like we're even.
Old May 10th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

A few points...

I'm not a UK citizen, so I get no benefit from the pension component of my NI. That's just money down the drain, as far as I'm concerned.

The 9% super is paid by the employer, not the employee. Employees are only required to pay 2%. They can choose to pay more - and if they choose to do so, their employer must match these additional payments up to 5% (or thereabouts.) This results in a compound effect which benefits the employee tremendously.

So in actual terms, that 9% should be revised to 2% - which is a lot cheaper than the UK. And when you take into account the high threshold of the Medicare Levy Surcharge (which the majority of Australians will not pay at all) it looks even better.

Back home, when I worked for Australia Post, I received 14.5% super - of which only 2% came out of my salary. The rest was paid by Post. I'd call that a pretty good deal. It certainly beats the hell out my current situation here in the UK.

Super is much better value than a state pension. You need look no further than the current UK pension crisis to realise that this is another case of "money down the drain" from an NI perspective.

I was horrified when I came to the UK and discovered that superannuation is virtually unheard of over here.

I have since set up a private pension scheme with HSBC, but it's still not as good as my superannuation back home.

Vash you're starting to epitomise the whinging Pom attitude so disliked in Australia. But you're doing it the other way round.
Why don't you just go home if you don't like it here? I just don't get it. When I go to Aus if I find myself on here stating how much things are better back home in UK I'll just come back. I cannot fathom why you live in a country you think you know everything about but appear to intensely dislike it?
Old May 10th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Vash you're starting to epitomise the whinging Pom attitude so disliked in Australia. But you're doing it the other way round.
Why don't you just go home if you don't like it here? I just don't get it. When I go to Aus if I find myself on here stating how much things are better back home in UK I'll just come back. I cannot fathom why you live in a country you think you know everything about but appear to intensely dislike it?

I disagree.

He's only comparing...not whinging...and if this website isn't the place to do it....then where is?

We all compare from time to time. If nobody compared, then how would people make a decision on whether to emigrate or not?
Old May 10th 2006, 9:50 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Thanks for posting this. Dont suppose you know (or anyone else) what the current levels are do you? I want to work out how much better off we're gonna be!

Cheers

Rach xxxx
On the TV they said someone on $25,000 would be $1,000 per year better off, $50,000 would get $500 and $150,000 would get $6,000. Which means the middle-income guy is getting jibbed
Old May 10th 2006, 10:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
What on earth?

Thank God that some people can give honestly held opinions about their adopted country.

There must be other forums where you can keep rose tinted specs on but in this one - keep all sides of the arguments going, please!
Old May 10th 2006, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmoore
On the TV they said someone on $25,000 would be $1,000 per year better off, $50,000 would get $500 and $150,000 would get $6,000. Which means the middle-income guy is getting jibbed

Someone who is earning $150,000 a year is not gettign 'jibbed'. They were getting well and truly 'jibbed' before these reform and will be getting a little less 'jibbed' now.

These reforms are addressing the issue....and that is that before the reforms there was not too much of an incentive of Ozzies to better their pay....becuase of fear of getting 'jibbed'...sorry to say it mate..but your view is a prime example of whats been wrong in Oz.

Now people can do their best, encourage their kids to study and earn more etc..as their is less 'jibbing' going on the more you earn.

ps...where does the word jibbed originate from?

TC
Old May 10th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
What on earth?

Thank God that some people can give honestly held opinions about their adopted country.

There must be other forums where you can keep rose tinted specs on but in this one - keep all sides of the arguments going, please!

eggsatley
Old May 10th 2006, 10:09 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Someone who is earning $150,000 a year is not gettign 'jibbed'. They were getting well and truly 'jibbed' before these reform and will be getting a little less 'jibbed' now.
In my book someone on $150,000 is a high income earner. Certainly I'm on less than half that and I'm the kind of 'middle-income' earner I was talking about.
Old May 10th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmoore
In my book someone on $150,000 is a high income earner. Certainly I'm on less than half that and I'm the kind of 'middle-income' earner I was talking about.
In my book...a doctor earning $150,000 a year is good value compared to some of these ponces in offices who earn half that but still believe that they should earn more because they 'do such stressful jobs' such as punching numbers into a spreadsheet.

(disclaimer...I'm not referring to u as a ponce and I should be earning around $60K in Oz)

TC
Old May 10th 2006, 10:16 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
In my book...a doctor earning $150,000 a year is good value compared to some of these ponces in offices who earn half that but still believe that they should earn more because they 'do such stressful jobs' such as punching numbers into a spreadsheet.

(disclaimer...I'm not referring to u as a ponce and I should be earning around $60K in Oz)

TC
That's a different discussion and I don't doubt that a doctor earns his keep. I was saying I'm a middle income earner and I've got a bum deal from the budget. Low and high income earners are getting something like a 4% cut, while I get 1% (rough figures, don't bother to correct me ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.