Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

View Poll Results: Would you prefer Fast Broadband or Solar Power on every House, at the same cost.
Super Fast Broadband
33.87%
Solar Panels on every house in Australia
66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

Originally Posted by bcworld
Perhaps because despite your best attempts to attribute it to the NBN and no doubt Gillard by proxy:

...as far as I can see the 'thousand times faster' is the interpretation of an ABC journalist, nothing more.
So which is it ? My "best attempts to attribute it to the NBN" or the interpretation of an ABC journalist ?

You can't blame everyone, 'except' the head of the NBN

But it is good that some people see it, even though Conroy didn't, all he is quoted as saying in reply was
"STEPHEN CONROY: I actually only found out about it yesterday (laughing). They might have told my office a couple of days before but I actually only found out about this yesterday, so it was actually news to me yesterday as well. "

Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
But you are claiming that the average speed that that website shows for Australia is the official average, which it isn't.
I must admit I didn't intend to claim them as 'Official' averages, and find it odd that I did, so odd that I looked back, and can't see how I did ??

Maybe I am missing something... I quoted worldwide speedtest.net averages, but didn't, as far as I can tell, say that these commercial results were official.

The figures are intended to show the similarity between UK and Australia, as many people say that Australia is so far behind the UK.

What do you think that the normal speed is in both countries ?

Old Aug 16th 2010, 11:28 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You can't blame everyone, 'except' the head of the NBN
Let's keep it simple then, did the head of the NBN, or anyone representing the NBN claim that there would be a '24,000 MB/s Internet connection'?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 11:38 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I didn't intend to claim them as 'Official' averages, and find it odd that I did, so odd that I looked back, and can't see how I did ??

Maybe I am missing something... I quoted worldwide speedtest.net averages, but didn't, as far as I can tell, say that these commercial results were official.

The figures are intended to show the similarity between UK and Australia, as many people say that Australia is so far behind the UK.

You did it by proxy. You were claiming that those speeds were the realistic speeds of this country, which they are not and we have told you why they are not several times before in other threads, but you choose to ignore it and use it to back up your arguments, which in turn are misleading because of the "facts" you are basing them on.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:02 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

try this one as something more realistic
http://www.comparebroadband.com.au/a...band-speed.htm

In its 'State of the Internet' study of broadband speeds around the world, content distribution service Akamai gave Australia a global rank of 50 for its average connection speed of 2,613kbps, while New Zealand charted at 42 with 2,912kbps.
http://www.broadbandexpert.com.au/br...zealand_771778

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/221179...port-card.aspx
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:50 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

The Australian Bureau of Statistics seem to contradict thise links.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/8153.0/
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:49 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

3 points from my view on this fiasco:

1. Whats the point of a superfast backbone locally here in Aus when the majority of our served content is coming from overseas. Yes there is some major benefits but essentially high speed gaming etc needs to go to the US. The subsea links are pretty crap here so thats whats driving internet costs up.

Its like having a super fast in-country intranet.

2. If you want faster links get a Dual DSL router and pay for a second line and have 2 x DSLs coming in. Dont clobber the rest of us! People did that with modem lines before DSL came about, just do it again!

3. IMO the market is the best driver for technology.
We went from Dial up to ADSL without the govt wading in for a ride. Yes they believe today its requires a whole new optical system, but whos to say that something comes along that doesnt need new cables in the future.

This leads on to things like new developments. New suburbs and developers can easily lay fibre to new suburbs, much cheaper than retrofitting it. Once it catches on, you'll see older suburbs catching on and re-installing slowly.

I agree its a bit like 3G being useless till the IPhone came along and it was a bit like "build the infrastructure and they will come" with that. However the big difference is the govt made pot loads, rather than spending.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:55 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

1 Business to business and intra business comms. I agree that more subsea cables are needed from a security point of view as well.
2 Fibre is much better for latency and packet loss. Business as well as gamers like that.
3 Putting in fibre is a high up front cost that will scale to the future. Post GFC markets are incapable of financing this type of investment at reasonable cost. Current markets/duopoly has been backwards at coming forwards with the technology in Australia. Basically like with water or electricity comms is a natural monopoly that needs moulding through good regulation.

Originally Posted by mark213
3 points from my view on this fiasco:

1. Whats the point of a superfast backbone locally here in Aus when the majority of our served content is coming from overseas. Yes there is some major benefits but essentially high speed gaming etc needs to go to the US. The subsea links are pretty crap here so thats whats driving internet costs up.

Its like having a super fast in-country intranet.

2. If you want faster links get a Dual DSL router and pay for a second line and have 2 x DSLs coming in. Dont clobber the rest of us! People did that with modem lines before DSL came about, just do it again!

3. IMO the market is the best driver for technology.
We went from Dial up to ADSL without the govt wading in for a ride. Yes they believe today its requires a whole new optical system, but whos to say that something comes along that doesnt need new cables in the future.

This leads on to things like new developments. New suburbs and developers can easily lay fibre to new suburbs, much cheaper than retrofitting it. Once it catches on, you'll see older suburbs catching on and re-installing slowly.

I agree its a bit like 3G being useless till the IPhone came along and it was a bit like "build the infrastructure and they will come" with that. However the big difference is the govt made pot loads, rather than spending.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:14 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
The Australian Bureau of Statistics seem to contradict thise links.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/8153.0/
except those stats are now at least 9 months out of date now. Those links I provided were based on results published last month
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:05 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
except those stats are now at least 9 months out of date now. Those links I provided were based on results published last month
So have speeds degraded in the last 9 months? Speed wasn't my issue though - the links would have you believe vast swaths of Australia is using dial up which is simply not true. 10% have dial-up.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:51 am
ABCDiamond

It all makes interesting reading...

None of the cities in the UK featured in the list of the world’s top 100 cities with the fastest average broadband connection and the UK itself didn’t make the top 10 fastest countries in the world either.

the Akamai report shows the average UK broadband connection speed be 3.7Mbps

The UK Government is currently working on next generation broadband for 90% of the country. In this case, the estimates have been put to £1 Billion

This raises even more questions. The UK is way slower than many people seem to think, even though they use the argument that the UK is so much faster than Australia.

Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the best communications you can get in Alice.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It's been said before in this thread, but it's still worth repeating. If you chose to live in places like Alice, basically the arse end of the planet, then you shouldn't expect to get first world infrastucture.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think this is the best communications you can get in Alice.

http://ypcommando.com/images/tin_can_string.jpg
So not TCPIP but TCPWS... Two Cans and a Piece of Wet String.