Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

View Poll Results: Would you prefer Fast Broadband or Solar Power on every House, at the same cost.
Super Fast Broadband
33.87%
Solar Panels on every house in Australia
66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:42 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

Why is it a choice? Kind of like Bush's you are with us or against us. Give me both if there is a pay back.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
However, no one has commented on the 24,000MB speed that was effectively quoted in that article.
Perhaps because despite your best attempts to attribute it to the NBN and no doubt Gillard by proxy:

24,000 Mb/s, yes that's 24Gb/s... far fetched yes ???

Well, not according to the NBN ...

The head of the NBN has now announced a speed that's 1,000 times faster than Australians receive now.
...as far as I can see the 'thousand times faster' is the interpretation of an ABC journalist, nothing more.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:53 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Only time can tell. You may well look back on this piece of infrastructure as a pivotal moment in this country's future prosperity in years to come. You and I cannot say for sure that it will be either shit or great until then.
It will be great, just an obscene waste of money. All of the goals set out can be achieved at the fraction of the price. The future is not in cables in the ground it's in wireless. When I walk out my front door I want to take my connection to the Internet with me, as do most other people as seen in the increase in mobile data usage.

In Perth for example the whole metro is covered by WIMAX with peak speeds between 5-8 Mbits and usually just under 10Mbits. That's with a USB dongle, with a base station it's more. $19 gets you 2Gb per month, that's meets most peoples needs already, why an earth people get 3G data plans is beyond me.

A draft spec of this technology has increased the theoretical maximum to 1Gbit . That's the future as most other countries already know, by the time Australia gets those cables in the ground it will have already been superseded.

Vividwireless.com.au if your interested.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

That's one reason that I have kept putting it off. I wanted to see real peoples, real electric bills, to see the real story, not the media garbage.

However, if you paid the full price for solar, without getting any rebates, then you would be 100% right.

At $8-9,000 for a system, it isn't very cost effective.
But getting that system for $2,000 makes a very big difference.

Currently the government are subsiding to the tune of about $6-$7k per system

To do every house in the country, with bulk buying discounts, I reckon they would have change from $43 billion, without us having to pay any difference.
This is why I can't understand the greenies/government policies (I don't want to make this political). How is it sensible to "give" someone 6 grand to convert 1 house?

I think instead of converting 10,000 houses this money should be spent on a commercial solar powerstation with all the cost savings of having it all in 1 place and probably supplying 15000 homes.

But saying that I'm now considering putting the panels up, why look a gift horse in the mouth? I might disagree with the principle but I may save some money. Our electricity was 12 cents a unit 12 months ago and is now 18 cents a unit and I don't know if there are any other price rises in the pipeline.

If labour wins the election, with the greens support, then I can see the carbon tax coming in soon. The price might be 30 cents a unit in 3 years.

I've just found this site http://forums.energymatters.com.au/

Another forum. I hope it's as much fun as this one

I'm about to have a look see.

Keel
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Wireless will coexist with cabled broadband as it does now. The massive speed difference cable has, and will continue to have over wireless (using fibre), will support the most communication intensive applications of the future. As it does now wireless will support cut down mobile versions of them with less intensive comms. Future apps is the key, not current ones. Future fixed or wireless would support current apps but the internet will be used for far more comms intensive apps that only fibre will support....because fibre will make them possible.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 15th 2010 at 2:32 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
Wireless will coexist with cabled broadband as it does now. The massive speed difference cable has, and will continue to have over wireless (using fibre), will support the most communication intensive applications of the future. As it does now wireless will support cut down mobile versions of them with less intensive comms. Future apps is the key, not current ones. Future fixed or wireless would support current apps but the internet will be used for far more comms intensive apps that only fibre will support....because fibre will make them possible.
I agree to a point but the latest wireless technologies are actually faster than the proposed fixed cable. Still no one has answered that despite the huge cost, consumers are still left with a minimum $500 + new router(s) + possible software upgrades, so would anyone fork the cash out to get a faster connection?

And what about the extra cost to small/medium business's, will the government help pay them and ISP's the costs associating with this kind of upgrade.

Again look at my Swindon example - fast, free broadband that's the future. The high cost for the consumer will just create a massive digital divide.

Fast next generation networks can be done right now at 15% of the price.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

...which government?
The government that was in power at the time.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
The opinion column in yesterdays West Australian ran a story on the new network. When it was first mentioned by Rudd 3 years ago it was going to cost 4 billion and thats whe we had a surplus of 20 billion. This then rose to 15 billion and now it is 43 billion whilst running a deficit. What's to say it won't now blow out to 50 billion.
And according to an IBM Consultant it will blow out to $80 - $100 billion.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
And according to an IBM Consultant it will blow out to $80 - $100 billion.
That's my main problem with the NBN - where does the cost end? It would be interesting to see who paid for Korea's 100Mb FO network - private or state?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

NBN is a question of when rather than if as far as I'm concerned. It should def happen at some point. Why not now?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:53 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
The government that was in power at the time.
Oh, you mean the Liberals?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone would deny that it would be "nice" to have 1Gb, 2Gb or more speeds - but the question is how much are you prepared to pay for it? Let's face it, most of us don't need anything like the speeds that are being talked about.

I am quite happy with 1.5Mb - realistically 1.2Mb - but it would be nice to have say 5Mb/sec - at the same price. I wouldn't pay any more than I am now for that, though.

If you "needed" 10Mb, would you want to pay for 100Mb?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh, you mean the Liberals?
Irrespective of who was in power at the time, the fact remains that Telstra, a government owned monopoly, was sold off to become a privately owned monopoly.

Do you think the NBN Co will not eventually be sold off?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Just doing a bit more research and found that if the fibre runs past your property or business, you have no choice but to pay for it to be connected - its mandatory.

So if you want to keep your cheap broadband i.e. your happy with you 1.5-5Mbit because all you do is check emails, surf the web etc, then sorry you'll have to fork out the cash. Minimum of $500.

Thats the kind of sh*t that annoys me - the real detail that is glossed over to win votes.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Just doing a bit more research and found that if the fibre runs past your property or business, you have no choice but to pay for it to be connected - its mandatory.

So if you want to keep your cheap broadband i.e. your happy with you 1.5-5Mbit because all you do is check emails, surf the web etc, then sorry you'll have to fork out the cash. Minimum of $500.

Thats the kind of sh*t that annoys me - the real detail that is glossed over to win votes.
That's the kind of shit you get with a Labor govt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.