Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

View Poll Results: Would you prefer Fast Broadband or Solar Power on every House, at the same cost.
Super Fast Broadband
33.87%
Solar Panels on every house in Australia
66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia's 24,000 MB/s Internet connection !

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Yes, because the alternative is that we end up with another Telstra
The Telstra monopoly is being broken up by natural means anyway, with other players moving into the market.
Despite working in the IT industry, perhaps because I work in the IT industry, I'm not convinced that it's the role of Government to be involved in this. Even though I see internet access as an essential utility, every Government IT project I've been involved with has been disastrous, and I'm not convinced that this wouldn't be better just left to the existing players.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:50 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The Telstra monopoly is being broken up by natural means anyway, with other players moving into the market.
Despite working in the IT industry, perhaps because I work in the IT industry, I'm not convinced that it's the role of Government to be involved in this. Even though I see internet access as an essential utility, every Government IT project I've been involved with has been disastrous, and I'm not convinced that this wouldn't be better just left to the existing players.
But no private sector organisation would be able to build it. Off memory, this is costing $42 billion and will not be finished for about another 5 or so years. If a private organisation were able invest that much money, their shareholders would not allow such a long term investment before getting a return on it. The NBN system pretty much starts all over again, without really using any of the existing infrastructure. The Coalition's proposal is to add onto the existing infrastructure like lego blocks, however it will produce much smaller speeds and eventually will need replacing from scratch too. Under the Coalition scheme, then yes, a private organisation could build it as the nature of the scheme would mean that you could invest in increments and get return on investment in the same manner. But in terms of investment in the future, it's not much of one, it's very short-sighted.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

But no private sector organisation would be able to build it. Off memory, this is costing $42 billion and will not be finished for about another 5 or so years. If a private organisation were able invest that much money, their shareholders would not allow such a long term investment before getting a return on it. The NBN system pretty much starts all over again, without really using any of the existing infrastructure. The Coalition's proposal is to add onto the existing infrastructure like lego blocks, however it will produce much smaller speeds and eventually will need replacing from scratch too. Under the Coalition scheme, then yes, a private organisation could build it as the nature of the scheme would mean that you could invest in increments and get return on investment in the same manner. But in terms of investment in the future, it's not much of one, it's very short-sighted.
...but is it REALLY needed?

If there is a market for it, then the private sector would build it. The fact that nobody would even consider doing so at the moment suggests that there isn't a market or the demand. It would probably be built, or something similar, in most of Australia's cities over time anyway. It's a definite 'nice to have' but, personally, I think government has better things to spend that amount of money on... health and education for a kickoff.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:11 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

The iPlayer in UK works just fine even with a network that's one of the slowest in the world. You do not need this scale of network to watch bloody TV. Wireless technology called satalites do this already!

I believe it's only fibre to the cabanet though, which means every property wanting to connect has to pay $500 to get the cable connected. I have no problem with hooking up cities and high population towns, but to run a cable out to a farm 1000km in the middle of no where is stupid at best.

Also distance from exchange only effects your connection if it's using copper wires.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
but to run a cable out to a farm 1000km in the middle of no where is stupid at best.
That is not the intention of the NBN. Places like this will have enhanced wireless or satellite.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:46 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That is not the intention of the NBN. Places like this will have enhanced wireless or satellite.
Ok to be precise to role out a cable where there is 1000 people or more is pretty dumb. Which happens to occur in quite a lot of places in Australia and also 1000km in the arse end of no where.

My point still stands.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:53 am
Account Closed

And how much would you like to bet that once it's rolled out and belongs to the government, they can filter what they like because they "own" the network?

And I'm still not paying $500 to get an Internet connection!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
The NBN sounds like a fantastic infrastructure project for australia's future.

It will change business and pleasure in ways we can't even conceive yet.
It will also allow Labor to filter the internet without the need to introduce any legislation.

The removal of the telstra infrastructure monopoly will also be great for competition. I still cannot quite believe we got a govt that had the foresight and will to build the NBN. I never thought it would happen.
So we swap one monopoly for a government owned one. Telstra was owned by the government once. That is before they sold it.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, because the alternative is that we end up with another Telstra
Yes, called the NBN Co.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...but is it REALLY needed?

If there is a market for it, then the private sector would build it. The fact that nobody would even consider doing so at the moment suggests that there isn't a market or the demand. It would probably be built, or something similar, in most of Australia's cities over time anyway. It's a definite 'nice to have' but, personally, I think government has better things to spend that amount of money on... health and education for a kickoff.
Spot on. We simply don't. Nothing the NBN brings households will change anything you do at the moment. You can already download HD movies, you can already VOIP etc.

Private business sees this as well and knows that nobody would pay more for a service they already have.

And frankly, if you choose to live in the arse end of nowhere really you have to expect arse end of nowhere levels of infrastructure service and having high speed broadband is the least of your worries.

Take 55 billion and build public transport that works with train links to semi- rural communities. Or build desalination plants which means we could actually future proof our survival. Build real infrastructure. Frankly it would provide more long term jobs as well.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion
Spot on. We simply don't. Nothing the NBN brings households will change anything you do at the moment. You can already download HD movies, you can already VOIP etc.

Private business sees this as well and knows that nobody would pay more for a service they already have.

And frankly, if you choose to live in the arse end of nowhere really you have to expect arse end of nowhere levels of infrastructure service and having high speed broadband is the least of your worries.

Take 55 billion and build public transport that works with train links to semi- rural communities. Or build desalination plants which means we could actually future proof our survival. Build real infrastructure. Frankly it would provide more long term jobs as well.
Couldn't agree more - very good post.

What most people don't realise is rolling out this speed of network is just the start. It will end up costing business's billions on top! The hardware running web sites for example will need significant upgrading.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:10 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

The NBN is yet another Labour moon-on-a-stick idea, but this time at a significant cost to the Australian public.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:32 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Or build desalination plants which means we could actually future proof our survival. Build real infrastructure. Frankly it would provide more long term jobs as well.
Now there's an idea!! The problem is the government can't dress it up as sparkly as they can with the NBN. It's a choice between selling the public a new ipod or a new toaster!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

I'd love a connection that's faster than what I have now (ADSL 2+) but if I'm really honest, I don't need one and frankly with the size of the national deficit as it is currently, paying that off and improving "real" infrastructure (roads, rail, healthcare facilities etc) should be higher up the list of things this country wants to buy on credit.
I'd rather see a Liberal government next week and say goodbye to the NBN for now, than get a faster connection through which I can only view what the Conroy and his cronies deem appropriate.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:14 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
So we swap one monopoly for a government owned one. Telstra was owned by the government once. That is before they sold it.
sorry, who sold it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.