Wikiposts

australiapost

Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:17 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Smile australiapost

Does anyone know the charges for a post office box?

I have gone into the site and downloaded the form and all the information is there except the costs. There is also no-where to send an e-mail for that subject. I have tried the other subjects but probably won't get answered.

Any info will assists I think you pay monthly in advance but don't know if there is a minimum period or what you have to pay up front. Any info please
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:43 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

It's around $50.

I seem to remember that boxes can be rented something like April to April, and that if you apply sometime in between, you pay on a pro-rata basis.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:49 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Thank you that does not seem too bad I want to know also if - if we rent a box in one town and buy a property a couple of towns distanct can we transferour box t the new town easily or must be cancel and start again (I am thinking of the transfer from one address to the other problems):scared: :scared:
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:58 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by yafm
Thank you that does not seem too bad I want to know also if - if we rent a box in one town and buy a property a couple of towns distanct can we transferour box t the new town easily or must be cancel and start again (I am thinking of the transfer from one address to the other problems)
I don't know the answer, but I'd be amazed if you could transfer boxes (there's money to be made). Aus is a bit on the bureaucratic side and biassed towards the rule makers rather than rule followers.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

The price varies according to location. The same size box in Brisbane main PO is nearly twice what it is in the suburbs. Also some locations don't have any empty boxes so you go on a waiting list or try a less popular location.

The price quoted is about right for small box in suburb.

I'd say you would need to rent another box as each PO seems to look after their own. I pay yearly and have never noticed a month by month option.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:06 pm
too busy to work members

Thanks everyone for your input.

We did receive a reply to our e-mail from australia post

"You have to go into the post office where you want to open a box with ID"

No answer to any of the actual questions Post office clerks the world over?????????????? - sorry to any out there you are obviously the exceptions.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:07 pm
too busy to work members

Just received an answer to my 'answer'....................!!!

I asked could a local open for me as we would probably be 3 weeks getting to australia and needed an address to give UK Post Office redirection....................

"No body else can open the Box on your behalf, you need to do this in person
at the Post office, I am sure that you can arrange to have the mail held in
the UK or redirected to a friend in the UK until your Box address is set up
in Australia."
:scared:
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Yvonne, this response is typical of the processes here. Start getting used to it!!
We ahd it redirected to parents who send it on weekly (I preprinted labels to a friends address here). Initially I started thinking I wonder whether I've missed something important, and when will my mail arrive!. After 2 delivered I realised it was all junk anyway and final few bills which they opened and I paid online.

It pales into insignificance in the grand scheme of things!
Mash

Just received an answer to my 'answer'....................!!!

I asked could a local open for me as we would probably be 3 weeks getting to australia and needed an address to give UK Post Office redirection....................

in Australia."
:scared:
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:50 pm
Can't re member

in Australia."
Can you use the address of the person who was going to sign for the box ?. Once you're out there, you can buy the box and if the address you were using is local to that post office then mail forwarding is (was for me) free for the first 6 months.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Get a friend over here to open a PO box for you, they just give you the key when you arrive. When it's time to renew, just go in and show them your ID to change it to your name.

My friends and family send stuff to our old address in the UK and the redirection to our Oz PO Box takes care of the rest. Much cheaper when they are sending presents for the kids.

I used to be a postman, so it's free to me. The only problem is my wacky ex-colleagues take great delight in sending me hundreds of rubber bands and big handfuls of household junk mail - you know, the letters addressed to "the occupier" or about 50 "this week's offers at Safeways".
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by welshpom
Can you use the address of the person who was going to sign for the box ?. Once you're out there, you can buy the box and if the address you were using is local to that post office then mail forwarding is (was for me) free for the first 6 months.
Yes just get someone out here to open a box for you. The agents I used did it for me in Auckland when I came out 10 years ago, then when you are out here get the name changed to yours.

I still get all my UK mail sent to my PO box and all important local mail as well. Letter box at the end of drive even if it's locked is not too secure.