Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Australians racist against Indians?

Are Australians racist against Indians?

Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:31 am
Banned

ajsingh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are Australians racist against Indians?

After reading news on some australian thugs attacked on Indians, makes me wonder -Are Australians racist against Indians? Can an Indian live comfortably and not feel 'outsider' in Australia? Every comment is welcome. thanks.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are Australians racist against Indians?

Originally Posted by ajsingh
After reading news on some australian thugs attacked on Indians, makes me wonder -Are Australians racist against Indians? Can an Indian live comfortably and not feel 'outsider' in Australia? Every comment is welcome. thanks.
you will always be an outsider when u immigrate...its a choice u make when u decide to leave ur country...
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:20 am
Just Joined

ponzki is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by slippery30
you will always be an outsider when u immigrate...its a choice u make when u decide to leave ur country...
I agree...100%
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:32 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife works in IT with a Bangladeshi, Pakistani and an Indian and they enjoy their life here and have experienced no problems
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:43 am
Banned

ajsingh is an unknown quantity at this point

'you will always be an outsider when u immigrate...its a choice u make when u decide to leave ur country...'

slippery30, I know that. No need to clarify.
But If people are welcoming, you can feel that you belong and easily be part of the society.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:44 am
Account Closed

aman_sharma2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Man, You will be an outsider in a different country!! Even if you get the AUS citizenship, You will be an Indian..
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Ali-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant future

Well I have remained in Sydney for seven months in 2002. I was attacked once near UNSW but I dont consider that to be a racial attack; one can be attacked anywhere and by anyone. One needs to be a little careful though during night times; as I felt that some thieves can mug you during night. After that incident I used to be very careful during nights.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:47 am
Account Closed

'you will always be an outsider when u immigrate...its a choice u make when u decide to leave ur country...'

slippery30, I know that. No need to clarify.
But If people are welcoming, you can feel that you belong and easily be part of the society.
No one is welcoming you!! No local people wants you there!!

Even in india, people of one state don't want people from other state..how u can think about countires!!!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1
No one is welcoming you!! No local people wants you there!!

Even in india, people of one state don't want people from other state..how u can think about countires!!!
My friends are there in Aus..They are working there from last 3-4 years..After working in Aus..I have seen change in my frnd'd mindset!! They often tell people are very warm there. They are doing well and have good frnds there. They have learnt how to respect a human,more importantly..

In india, I will say we are more racist!!We don't like prople of other states, other cast and bla bla bla...
Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:12 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

There were many "white" australians shocked by those news reports. So please don't feel or take it that its acceptable behaviour.

In answer to live comfortable and not feel outsider .... yes of course but depends on state and area.

Come to Melbourne is far more multi cultural and welcoming
Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I work with five Indians and they all seem to be fine
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the Indian students are working as well as studying and travel on the trains at night. I believe our trains are a problem at night whoever travels on them. The students also have laptops and probably good phones and these thugs steal them. The worst thing is some of these thugs or most of them are probably immigrants themselves or children of immigrants.

So to answer the question

"No."

I think people make friends with people they like and feel comfortable with wherever they come from. Obviously there are Brits who would not like me and vice versa and Indians that may not like you and vice versa no difference at all.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but it really depends on what you do and where you live.

There are targetted muggings and bashings of Indians, certainly in places like Footscray/Sunshine and many of them now travel in groups deliberately to avoid this sort of thing. Many of these are newer immigrants from India.

And yes, the attacks are probably done by other immigrants or sons of immigrants.

And having said that I also witnessed 4 Indians bash a Vietnamese man so it goes both ways.

I'll say the same to any race - fit in with Australia and you will never have a problem, try and insulate yourself and enforce old ways/customs and manners and you will create problems, that goes for Kiwis, Brits and anyone else.

I work in IT and there are generally two types of Indians, those who are friendly and some of the nicest people you could meet. Then there also seems to be an over-representation of the other kind who are shifty, dishonest, often lie about their abilities, and then break into their own language with each other when they don't want you to hear something.

Of course if you are of Indian descent and completely Westernised (like many in the UK) you won't have a problem at all.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:24 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I have witnessed an attack on what I think was a sri lankan , but that was by a Indian he slapped him well hard in the face. Then after being corrected by his finds slapped him again even harder. They then got off and left the guy. It was all in a language I don't understand so I cant say what it was about.

But if you are asking if some aussies hate you well yes they do , just like I am sure some indians hate white people.

If your not hated by someone in this life you dont exist....
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:26 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Then there also seems to be an over-representation of the other kind who are shifty, dishonest, often lie about their abilities, and then break into their own language with each other when they don't want you to hear something.
The language thing really sh1ts me no end...no offence meant but it does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.