Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australians by ancesty

Australians by ancesty

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 8:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Australians by ancesty

For anyone who's interested, some interesting demographics data from the 2001 Census:

Total population: 21 million

Australian: 6.7m (38.7%)

English: 6.4m (36.5%)

Irish: 1.9m (11%)

Italian: 800,000 (4.6%)

German: 742,000 (4.3%)

Chinese: 557,000 (3.2%)

Scottish: 540,000 (3.1%)

Greek: 376,000 (2.2%)

Dutch: 269,000 (1.5%)

Lebanese: 162,000 (0.9%)

Indian: 157,000 (0.9%)

Vietnamese: 157,000 (0.9%)

Polish: 151,000 (0.9%)
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 8:42 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australians by ancesty

Yeah!! We are catching up
Do you think Aussies will be the minority??
J x
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 8:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Australians by ancesty

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
J x
Over my dead body!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 10:02 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Proudly sixth generation ozzie ...
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 10:03 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering...

how many of these people are australian citizens?

and how many were themselves born overseas and how many where born in oz and list their ancestory as their parents/grandparents place of birth?

Interesting numbers though - i suppose being used to the uk i don't think of things like this - it will be interesting living in a country that has absorbed such high numbers of people from different nations.

Adele
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
For anyone who's interested, some interesting demographics data from the 2001 Census:

Total population: 21 million

Australian: 6.7m (38.7%)

English: 6.4m (36.5%)

Irish: 1.9m (11%)

Italian: 800,000 (4.6%)

German: 742,000 (4.3%)

Chinese: 557,000 (3.2%)

Scottish: 540,000 (3.1%)

Greek: 376,000 (2.2%)

Dutch: 269,000 (1.5%)

Lebanese: 162,000 (0.9%)

Indian: 157,000 (0.9%)

Vietnamese: 157,000 (0.9%)

Polish: 151,000 (0.9%)
Very interesting that

Son doing pie-charts in Maths...might get him to use this data to make one!
but then again........i think he wants to go fishing instead! :scared:

say hi to blighty

L-j
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:00 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
J x
Poms are only 300,000 behind the Aussies, if another 300,000 Poms immigrate to OZ, then Poms will make up the majority and rule OZ and Aussies will just be an ethnic minority.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Australians by ancesty

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Just wondering...

how many of these people are australian citizens?
From the Census notes:

The census includes all people in Australia on census night, with the exception of foreign diplomats and their families.

Visitors to Australia are counted regardless of how long they have been in the country or how long they plan to stay.

Australian residents out of the country on census night are out of the scope of the census.
Source (page 8.)

and how many were themselves born overseas and how many where born in oz and list their ancestory as their parents/grandparents place of birth?
I don't know; the full Census report might have this information. It does say that people with dual ancestry were included. I imagine that they are expected to answer with the country of their parents' birth - not necessarily the country that they themselves were born in.

Interesting numbers though - i suppose being used to the uk i don't think of things like this - it will be interesting living in a country that has absorbed such high numbers of people from different nations.

Adele
Yes, that was one thing which surprised me about the UK; lots of immigrants, but a surprising lack of cultural diversity. It's something I miss, having grown accustomed to it back home.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Australians by ancesty

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Very interesting that

Son doing pie-charts in Maths...might get him to use this data to make one!
but then again........i think he wants to go fishing instead! :scared:

say hi to blighty

L-j
Will do.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: Australians by ancesty

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Poms are only 300,000 behind the Aussies, if another 300,000 Poms immigrate to OZ, then Poms will make up the majority and rule OZ and Aussies will just be an ethnic minority.
Not such a bad idea! Considering the British propensity for state-sponsored nannying and taxpayer-funded government handouts, I reckon we'd do rather well out of that situation.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:45 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting report vash, but when I looked at a similar table but on other information it bears equally interesting results.

Source : Census Data 2001, Search by 'take-away restaurant' ,results shown by country.

Total population: 1.6 million

Australian: 0.0m (0.0%)

English: 0.0m (0.0%)

Irish: 0.0m (0.0%)

Italian: 0.2 (8%)

German: 0.1 (4%)

Chinese: 0.8 (32%)

Scottish: 0.0 (0.0%)

Greek: 0.1 (4%)

Dutch: 0.0 (0.0%)

Lebanese: 0.1 (4%)

Indian: 0.4 (16%)

Vietnamese: 0.0 (0.0%)

Polish: 0.0 (0.0%)
Old Jun 4th 2006, 2:31 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

that was one thing which surprised me about the UK; lots of immigrants, but a surprising lack of cultural diversity. It's something I miss, having grown accustomed to it back home.
You're taking the piss, right?
Old Jun 4th 2006, 4:33 am
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I just read what Vash wrote and thought exactly the same thing.
Where in the UK do you reside Vash? The top of Ben Nevis or similar?
Old Jun 4th 2006, 4:44 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Will do.
Thanks....

can i ask a personal question?

Lj
Old Jun 4th 2006, 4:56 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Australians by ancesty

Originally Posted by elfman
Nope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.