Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian working hours

Australian working hours

Old Sep 26th 2002, 6:08 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian working hours

Originally posted by stay or go ?:
not disagreeing with your situation Herman, but the perception i have of australian working hours is along the same lines for different reasons.

its quite similar to the UK of 5 or 6 years ago, where you stayed late (even with no actual work to do) in order to appear loyal to the company and a non-expendable asset.

melburnians in the CBD seem to walk around with that same harried "i'm so important, there arent enough hours in the day, get out of my way i am a mover and shaker" as those silly little secretary buggers did in london - a good image, but very little substance or action.

as regards to the actual work carried out - its the same amount whether you work more or less hours. I have worked 8am-6pm 5 (sometimes 6) days per week with no lunchbreak, and 10am-4pm 3 days per week in the same industry and accomplished exactly the same amount of fiscal revenue on both occasions. I work for myself , whereas before i worked for an International firm (professional services on each occasion).

summary - the working day is longer but less-per-hour is accomplished. Harking back to the mid-90's "lunch-at-desk-must-appear-frantically-busy" attitude.

once again, not belittling your set of circumstances Herman, just saying how it has appeared from my perspective in victoria - the same but lazier !
Dead right - plenty of good actors here too. I think that 'cos I'm a pom here for 2 years the bosses like to work me hard - or at least they try. I have to admit that to impress them here is not that hard so I guess even dipping into this chat room occasionally my output is higher than others. I know many here do put in a hell of a lot of 'desk time' and if you ask them if they're busy you get an exasperated 'hell yes, overrun, no time for lunch' type response but if you walk past their desks they are organising their weekends on the phone or surfing the net. I just work like crazy for a few hours and then take breaks to check out this forum. I think some here are on a permanent break...
Old Sep 26th 2002, 6:51 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Herman:

I just work like crazy for a few hours and then take breaks to check out this forum. I think some here are on a permanent break...

You are far to bright how did you know that? , I am glad I do not work for you.
Old Sep 26th 2002, 7:07 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Chris:

"Unemployment's like 6.9%, which isn't all that bad."

Rubbish 2.7% higher than UK , and Australia is according to some is booming ,god help us when its not.

"Money isn't a reason you come to
Australia."

Could be true , insanity must enter the equation also I am sure.Maybe a mental health test before being let in might help?

"Measured in "International Dollars" (see W.H.O. pages below - it's basically
a comparative measure of earnings and buying power).
Aus: $26,524pa
UK: $24,339pa "

Would only apply if wages were on a par , so if you earned $40 per hour UK to say $20 per hour in Australia all the bullshit in these figures would mean zero.There lies ,dam lies and staistics well known saying I think?
Old Sep 26th 2002, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

God, this thread is really depressing me. Most of us, I think, are wanting to head to OZ for a new lifestyle but if we just end up working our life away what's the point ? I wouldn't work & live in London ever because it's to stressful but is Perth going to be exactly the same ?

Somebody please remind us why we would ever want to go ?
Old Sep 26th 2002, 7:21 am
Banned

Originally posted by iancurtis:
God, this thread is really depressing me. Most of us, I think, are wanting to head to OZ for a new lifestyle but if we just end up working our life away what's the point ? I wouldn't work & live in London ever because it's to stressful but is Perth going to be exactly the same ?

Have no idea what you do but ifs its not the building trade , Perth just is not going to be for you .
Lifestyle can mean anything ,to me it means more play less work and if you come to a one horse town its a case of take what you can get and head down arse up or else.

Old Sep 26th 2002, 7:49 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Nah, wont be as stressful as London. Sydney life is a breeze compared to London so Perth will be a sleepy village. And just to cheer you up and add a bit of balance to my posts - there are 6 English in my department here who all came over in the last 10 years and wont even entertain the idea of returning to the UK. It just depends what you are into. They all love fishing, rugby and sailing and 2 of them have part ownership of yachts. They absolutely love it here and think I'm a nutter for going back to England. Mind you - they all bought houses in Sydney when they were cheap so are sitting pretty. We have our reasons for going back just as they have their reasons for staying. Our priority is we want to have a baby next year and want it to know its English and Czech grandparents. Nothing will change that - we are simply not selfish enough to deny our parents or our kid that pleasure, particularly as we both loved our lives in England anyway (we came here for 2 years at the request of my firm, not because we were running away or running to something).
Who knows Ian, you may be one of the ones who falls head over heels in love with all things Australian as these guys have?
Old Sep 26th 2002, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Australian working hours

Hi Ian

I, like you, am finding this thread unsettling but i reassure myself that no one i know (family and friends) that have emigrated to Perth have regretted their decision in the slightest and wouldnt come back for the world. One of the things that appeals to us about Australia is that we dont spend 3/4 of the year in the house, not being able to plan anything even vaguely outdoors and consequently spending an arm and a leg taking oursleves and child to venues that cost money. The thought of being able to say to friends 'come round to ours for a bbq' whenever we feel like it, and know that the sun will be kind to us (with sunblock of course!). I know it's the simple pleasures in life that appeal to me about Australia and as far as work is concerned, ok maybe you will have to work slightly longer hours, but at least you have 2 qulaity days per week with friends, living the life of riley!

Dont give up on your dreams, they are all we have.
Good luck to you and your family.

Love

Nicky

Old Sep 26th 2002, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

It's just so easy to swing between extremes of emotions when you're just sitting here waiting. Every little bit of opinion takes on unrealistic significance in the absence of any real news.
Old Sep 26th 2002, 10:07 am
Robert Edwards

utter rubbish.....it is against the law (Workplace Relations Act 1996) to
coerce or force an employee to sign an AWA (Australian Workplace Agreement)

"pommie bastard" wrote in message
news:425574.1033010320@britishexpats-
.com

, also a lot of
    > employers in Australia make new workers sign away rights in work place
    > agreements.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 26th 2002, 11:47 am
Chris

"Herman" wrote in message
news:425606.1033012247@britishexpats-
.com
    > Sure are a lot of sacrifices for those buscuits!

What the hell are you doing here then? Were you sent here by the company
or is there something else that made you travel all this way?

Chris

> --

Old Sep 26th 2002, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Herman, I think youi better change companies...and how the heck do you get 26 weeks sick per annum....Do you only work every second week???
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:43 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo:
Herman, I think youi better change companies...and how the heck do you get 26 weeks sick per annum....Do you only work every second week???
UK company I worked for after five years service = 26 weeks full pay sick and 26 weeks half pay. Swopped to UK branch of amercian company, sick entitlement = 20 days per annum. Now in Aus for same american company I have 10 days entitlement. I will add I have only taken 4 days sick in the last 10 years but it is nice to know a company values your contribution to the extent they will cover a real long term illness. Low sickness entitlement can work to the detriment of any company, to the extent employees can view a few days sick as a legitimate opportunity to extend the annual leave entitlement. Have seen that view in many companies - my background is payroll and HR, so jumped in on this thread, I do not want to start a hugh debate as I could end up wasting time checking Personnel and HR reference material to prove either side of the argument. So before I ramble more I am stating 6 months sick leave is not abnormal in some UK companies. PS I have had a drink, its my birthday!!!

Cheers
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

I know your not exactly my greatest fan (happy birthday btw) but wondered if you could give me some advice -do you need IPD to work in Oz in HR. I work as a PA to MD + do all the HR and recruitment for the company i work for as i did 5 years in a recruitment agency before that. How are they at taking you and letting you study p/t. What is the score there basically?
Thanks
Nicky
Old Sep 26th 2002, 3:09 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
I know your not exactly my greatest fan (happy birthday btw) but wondered if you could give me some advice -do you need IPD to work in Oz in HR. I work as a PA to MD + do all the HR and recruitment for the company i work for as i did 5 years in a recruitment agency before that. How are they at taking you and letting you study p/t. What is the score there basically?
Thanks
Nicky
Sorry I am laughing ''not your greatest fan'' - I like your posts - you are passionate, good on you, I just like having my point of view too. Can you email me via the site and I can get you some more relevant information. I am more payroll focused, IPPM now TAPS to be but IPD background as well, I work with some terrific people who can help me with some of your possible specifics.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, I feel as I get a longer one, 24hrs in Aus and then chatting on email I get the UK ones cause of the extra 9 hours.

Cheers
Old Sep 26th 2002, 5:14 pm
Robert Edwards

Ian, you will always find those with a dislike for Australia but try to see
through some of the absolute rubbish they write and go on your own knowledge
or that of your friends, if you do proper research you should be able to
make a balanced decision as to what is right for you and your family.

"iancurtis" wrote in message
news:425740.1033024401@britishexpats-
.com
    > God, this thread is really depressing me. Most of us, I think, are
    > wanting to head to OZ for a new lifestyle but if we just end up working
    > our life away what's the point ? I wouldn't work & live in London ever
    > because it's to stressful but is Perth going to be exactly the same ?
    > Somebody please remind us why we would ever want to go ?
    > --

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.