Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Work Ethic

Australian Work Ethic

Old Nov 11th 2012, 6:48 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Work Ethic

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Same in our office
The kiwi fruit are always left till last - and the big fat oranges but the little oranges and the bananas are bitterly fought over with the bananas in first place and I will snag two on a Monday morning for breakfast with my cereal

The apples are slowly eaten through the week out of desperation. I hate peeling kiwi fruit so avoid them.

I do like my bananas.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rld1177
although I suspect many of us are here for the boom times and plan to head off in a few years anyway before all that $hit hits the fan.
So you seem to be here to work hard, make a few quid and head off for the next thing. Which is totally fine. But you can't expect everyone to have the same attitude. Most people, especially aussies obviously, plan to stay here and to enjoy their life while doing so without necessarily obsessing about crawling up the corporate ladder.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:49 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7

The apples are slowly eaten through the week out of desperation. I hate peeling kiwi fruit so avoid them.

I do like my bananas.
Cut the ends off the kiwi and eat it, skin and all. Or cut it in half and eat it with a teaspoon.

Life is too short to peel a kiwi fruit.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Cut the ends off the kiwi and eat it, skin and all. Or cut it in half and eat it with a teaspoon.

Life is too short to peel a kiwi fruit.
We get the punnets sold here with a plastic spoon/knife implement to do exactly this - cut half and scoop
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Melbourne since March, working for one of the big 4 banks.

I'd be very curious to hear about others experiences regarding the Australian work ethic. I spent many years in London and in New York, and I continue to be shocked with what I experience here.

I had my annual performance review recently and for my 'negatives' I was told I 'work too hard' and that it 'looks bad to finish work on weekends'. In almost 9 months, I've probably worked a net of 20 hours total over the weekend and work in the office to 6 or 630 rarely and only then to meet a deadline. In the USA or even the UK, my work effort here in terms of hours worked would be viewed as utterly lazy. I regularly witness people leave at 5 pm as if a school bell went off (despite deadlines), leaving work unfinished, or presenting something to senior executives that, frankly, if you tried in New York or London you'd likely be shown the door or given a personal development plan.

There also seems to be a strange sense of pride in NOT having qualifications - I've heard many say things like 'I wouldn't waste my time on an MBA' or 'I do compliance and never needed to study law formally' etc etc. Most of the ex-pats I work with have impressive credentials so perhaps some of this is just trying to justify not having them by some of the locals, but again I find this attitude strange.

The most common expression I hear weekly is 'I am not putting my hand up for that' and the amount of blaming others vs admitting you screwed up is unreal. I have been involved in some projects that would have been completed in two weeks in London or New York that are still going on, never progressing past a powerpoint (which is then reworked) presentation since no one will take accountability to actually deliver something.

Is this typical, or did I just land at an unusual bank or department? Something just feels a bit off to be working the least hours in my life, and making by far the most money, while being surrounded by people that seem to take no pride whatsoever in their professionalism or quality of their work.

*Note: Australia itself is great, I love Melbourne and all there is to do here, this is just a question about the Australia work ethic.
I do whatever is required off me from 8.30 to 5pm, but I never feel compelled to stay beyond 5pm. People who feel compelled to regularly work longer than they get paid for either

a. don't do a good enough job during the day and know they need to make up for it?
b. need their head looked at, why the hell would you do more hours than you get paid for?

I think you should be glad you're no longer getting the pi$$ taken out of you by your employer
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
So you seem to be here to work hard, make a few quid and head off for the next thing. Which is totally fine. But you can't expect everyone to have the same attitude. Most people, especially aussies obviously, plan to stay here and to enjoy their life while doing so without necessarily obsessing about crawling up the corporate ladder.
Hmmmm.. I wish there wasa way the Immogration Department could weed these "its all about me, stuff Australia' people out and give visas to people who are actually grateful for them.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I do whatever is required off me from 8.30 to 5pm, but I never feel compelled to stay beyond 5pm. People who feel compelled to regularly work longer than they get paid for either

a. don't do a good enough job during the day and know they need to make up for it?
b. need their head looked at, why the hell would you do more hours than you get paid for?

I think you should be glad you're no longer getting the pi$$ taken out of you by your employer
I used to work for a lady in a bank branch, she was married to a chef and seemed to have no life. We only got paid to 4.30pm but she would regularly make us work to 6.00pm for no reason. It is stupid. Work to live. not live to work. Be efficient while you are there and you shouldn't need to stay late all the time (except occasionally.) The American and UK banking systems fell apart during the GFC so all this crowing means nothing.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Hmmmm.. I wish there wasa way the Immogration Department could weed these "its all about me, stuff Australia' people out and give visas to people who are actually grateful for them.
And fasta the shit will cometh
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:14 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
We get free fruit as well and it is like a bun fight for the bananas
They are target #1 for me too. Our floor is more focused on the Social Club chocolates, bonus for me

Originally Posted by eddie007
I love my commute, even if it adds a couple of hours to my day..... Up time and down time.... Me time.... Bliss
I hear that, time on train reading is good time
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Australian Work Ethic

I'd be very curious to hear about others experiences regarding the Australian work ethic. I spent many years in London and in New York, and I continue to be shocked with what I experience here.
I'm Australian, and my ethos has always been 'a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.'

I work the hours I'm given, for the pay I'm promised. I'll work overtime if it's paid but I won't work for free. I am not a charity. If an employer wants my time he must pay for it.

When I lived in the UK I noticed a lot of employers expected their staff to work regular overtime without pay. This is unacceptable and I simply refused to do it. The more free labour you given an employer, the more he will expect and the more he will take.

The only time I'll work without remuneration is when I choose to do so on my own initiative. In the past this has included going the extra mile for a valued client, covering emergency situations, and helping stressed colleagues to clear a backlog. I found my employer valued me more as a result, and rewarded me by increasing my autonomy.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 11th 2012 at 12:44 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

Vash I think you have it spot on ,what gets to me is we're I work and my wife even if people are in the middle of things some just think its time to go and leave it for the few who will stop and finish it,as always its the same people every time who stop back.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zen10
I think it's a lot longer than "for now". The quantity of stuff in Australia is mind-boggling. As for the stats - they're the only thing we have so we have to go with them. And shit hitting fans? Are you kidding? The biggest pile of shit, heading towards the biggest fan on earth is in the US. $16 trillion debt, totally unrepayable, 320 million people with 14% real unemployment. Australia will be an oasis of calm bowling greens and suburban respectability compared with the US in 25 years' time.
The US could definitely be at a tipping point, that is for sure. This election may have changed some things though, I suspect they will get a budget deal done and for all the moaning about the 'fiscal cliff' automatic spending cuts and the letting the Bush era cuts expire could be a good thing longer term. The USA doesn't need to pay back the entire debt (nor does Australia, which I believe has a per capita debt level of roughly the same levels as the USA, something near 600 billion, correct?) Private sector debt levels in Australia are quite high - I know many people here on very high incomes that are locked in to mega mortgages in very average looking houses by American standards who have to budget their pints and days eating out - much like American's before housing prices collapsed there. The credit card debt levels in this country have been discussed many times on this thread.

If you are right and Australia continues to boom and maintain low unemployment things will be great. I've now lived through two other booms in two other countries and some of the warning signs are here - a housing boom, people 'investing' in properties that have increased in value at unsustainable rates, an economy dependent on commodity prices and a China that is working to source those commodities in places like Mongolia longer term, etc. This could go on for years though, just as people have been writing about the terrible US debt levels since it crossed 1 trillion in dollars.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm Australian, and my ethos has always been 'a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.'
Thanks, very useful to understand your perspective better.

It is a nice outlook really - since I've been here I've found I have more free time to work on business ideas and spend more time with my partner, so I definitely love the work life balance? In the US and UK to an extent I think the idea is if you are on a salary you work the hours needed to do a good job - if you are an hourly worker, then you certainly don't work extra time. It sounds like many here view salary work in a similar way, makes sense if that is the culture and it is really helpful to understand it better. I do, however, still think working a few minutes extra once in a while to do a quality job is a good thing though - it sounds like do when appropriate which is the key thing. Cheers
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a meeting on friday that was a kickoff meeting for a project. The meeting was put back and back for a year and a half. The project couldn't start without the kickoff meeting and it is quite a big project. The meeting finally happened and it was to discuss peoples roles within the project ie, what their title in the project was - nothing else, as well as when the next meetings would be scheduled. That took an hour.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, very useful to understand your perspective better.

It is a nice outlook really - since I've been here I've found I have more free time to work on business ideas and spend more time with my partner, so I definitely love the work life balance? In the US and UK to an extent I think the idea is if you are on a salary you work the hours needed to do a good job - if you are an hourly worker, then you certainly don't work extra time. It sounds like many here view salary work in a similar way, makes sense if that is the culture and it is really helpful to understand it better. I do, however, still think working a few minutes extra once in a while to do a quality job is a good thing though - it sounds like do when appropriate which is the key thing. Cheers
I can understand people seeing 39hrs a week on their contract and seeing the salary on the same document. I sometimes do overtime which I don't mind doing if it's something I can do when I get home. I hate staying back and thats kind of an OCD thing I have, catching my regular train. Sounds silly.

One real issue I have with Australia is how little you can do and yet convince people you are working hard and very focussed on your job by these little things, such as following up on an email you sent. I guess there's no real way to measure someones performance even when it's obvious to colleagues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.