Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Webhosting & Domains

Australian Webhosting & Domains

Old May 11th 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Webhosting & Domains

I'm looking to acquire or register a number of Australian domains (.com.au) prior to my impending move to Australia.

Can anyone recommend any *reputable* companies out there who can provide the sort of service my current hosting company here in the UK is able to provide i.e a domain with *unlimited* webspace, email, 24/7 FTP access, online FTP interface, webmail etc for £33.99 per year. (www.streamlinenet.co.uk)

Also, if any legal types can advise me on the technicalities of being able to register a .com.au domain (eg tictac.com.au) whilst still resident in the UK, I'd be grateful.

I expect I'll only be able to do this once I arrive in Aus, but if I'm able to do it before I get there that would be great.

Cheers
Old May 11th 2007, 7:15 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Webhosting & Domains

the oz registry holder . http://www.ausregistry.com.au/

gives links to lots of firms.

Should be able to host with anyone in the world.

These are the people I used for hosting. http://www.rochenhost.com.au/ scottish firm, servers in the US, but support is global. Aus guy is based in Byron Bay.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:29 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
I'm looking to acquire or register a number of Australian domains (.com.au) prior to my impending move to Australia.

Can anyone recommend any *reputable* companies out there who can provide the sort of service my current hosting company here in the UK is able to provide i.e a domain with *unlimited* webspace, email, 24/7 FTP access, online FTP interface, webmail etc for £33.99 per year. (www.streamlinenet.co.uk)

Also, if any legal types can advise me on the technicalities of being able to register a .com.au domain (eg tictac.com.au) whilst still resident in the UK, I'd be grateful.

I expect I'll only be able to do this once I arrive in Aus, but if I'm able to do it before I get there that would be great.

Cheers
I why were you looking to move your hosting? if you are happy with what you have now i personally wouldnt bother moving.
You can register and use a .com.au (or any other domain) from anywhere in the world - makes no difference.

Tiggs
Old May 11th 2007, 9:13 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Cheers
I've done a quick look at this sort of thing myself (re. registering a .net domain), and reckon that British web registrants/hosts are cheaper (uk2.net & www.ddns.com.au).

EDIT - I now think that with the URL below you can register a domain cheaper in Oz!

However, if you do host your site on a British server it will take longer to load in Aus (not terminally, but there is a delay)....I may get shot down in flames for saying that but i think it makes more sense to register a domain name & web host (even thought its pricier) in Oz.

That way, your site is hosted in Oz, being accessed from Oz, and is bound to load quicker. I found this one to be quite competitive:

https://store.domaincentral.com.au/h...H=HOSTING_PATH

I'm talking from an individual perspective, not a company.

Last edited by Urno; May 11th 2007 at 9:16 pm.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urno
I've done a quick look at this sort of thing myself (re. registering a .net domain), and reckon that British web registrants/hosts are cheaper (uk2.net & www.ddns.com.au).

EDIT - I now think that with the URL below you can register a domain cheaper in Oz!

However, if you do host your site on a British server it will take longer to load in Aus (not terminally, but there is a delay)....I may get shot down in flames for saying that but i think it makes more sense to register a domain name & web host (even thought its pricier) in Oz.

That way, your site is hosted in Oz, being accessed from Oz, and is bound to load quicker. I found this one to be quite competitive:

https://store.domaincentral.com.au/h...H=HOSTING_PATH

I'm talking from an individual perspective, not a company.
To register for a com.au or similar you have to have a business in Australia (or at least an ABN). It's not like the UK where you can register whatever you like.
Have you looked into this side of it?
Old May 12th 2007, 1:06 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
To register for a com.au or similar you have to have a business in Australia (or at least an ABN). It's not like the UK where you can register whatever you like.
Absolutley correct Kevin - I am webdesigner and I have all my servers in the US. I have will not be moving them to Australia !

As Kevin says, you cannot just register a .com.au site, you must have an Australian Business Number and have something to do with the name you are registering. Stops people registering hundreds of names they will never use but think people we pay a fortune for.

Good Luck

Nick
Old May 12th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I have tried to register a .id.au name, but have been having trouble. The rules for the domain says that you have to be an Australian or an Australian resident. Had trouble so emailed the company involved and said that I qualify as I am Australian and they ignored my e-mail. It does seem to work out more expensive in Australia. I might carry on using my current provider and take the delay hit. It will only be personal stuff anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Old May 12th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
You've answered my question . Thanks

I'm less concerned with the webhosting side of things, more e-mail hosting i.e having a .au email address but not having to go down the yahoo/free email route.

Cheers
Old May 12th 2007, 1:04 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm less concerned with the webhosting side of things, more e-mail hosting i.e having a .au email address but not having to go down the yahoo/free email route.

Cheers
Yes, just to confirm - you need an ABN/ACN to register a .com.au domain. We have one, but it is hosted in the US at http://www.bluehost.com/

Cheers,

Graham
Old May 12th 2007, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

V8sMum-in-Law is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Hi Titac,

Just a thought but if you are only cosidering the .com.au email then you still have some options if you don't necessarily need your own domain. When you purchase your internet access, your should be provided with an email address for the domain of your IP provider. Some offer webspace as well (maybe only one page). So that may cover your immediate needs.

Take a look at this page that provides an overview of some of the Broadband providers in Aus.

http://www.broadbandguide.com.au/?gc...FSejhgodawsV4w

Hope this is of some help.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by V8sMum-in-Law
Hi Titac,

Just a thought but if you are only cosidering the .com.au email then you still have some options if you don't necessarily need your own domain. When you purchase your internet access, your should be provided with an email address for the domain of your IP provider. Some offer webspace as well (maybe only one page). So that may cover your immediate needs.

Take a look at this page that provides an overview of some of the Broadband providers in Aus.

http://www.broadbandguide.com.au/?gc...FSejhgodawsV4w

Hope this is of some help.
We have a number of .com.au and .com names we use Smartynet hope that helps x
Old May 13th 2007, 10:45 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Cheers
Don't know if you have issues with a free yahoo mailbox....but I registered hotmail.com.au and yahoo.com.au email addresses by giving our daughters Aussie address.

I have hosting with 1 & 1 in the UK...but they insist on a UK based credit card, ie close your UK bank accounts and they wont deal with you....because they cannot take legal action if you fail to pay.

I anticipate moving to either 1 & 1 USA or a a US based hosting company for the above and other reasons already given in the previous replies.