Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian version of child benefit?

Australian version of child benefit?

Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Australian version of child benefit?

Sorry if this has been done to death, but I have searched and come up with all kinds of irrelevant topics which I read anyway so I have been on here for hours this morning

I know there isn't child benefit as such, but I thought there was some kind of tax thing (that would be a technical term ) in two sections. Does anyone know what the upper limit for earnings is, is it something you get through earnings or do you have to claim it, etc. etc.?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian version of child benefit?

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Sorry if this has been done to death, but I have searched and come up with all kinds of irrelevant topics which I read anyway so I have been on here for hours this morning

I know there isn't child benefit as such, but I thought there was some kind of tax thing (that would be a technical term ) in two sections. Does anyone know what the upper limit for earnings is, is it something you get through earnings or do you have to claim it, etc. etc.?

Family tax benefit

www.centrelink.gov.au

It's means tested so depends on how much you earn to how much you get. The maximum wage to get the full amount is $40k per annum (may have changed with the new tax year) anything over that and a certain amount in the dollar is taken off.

You can claim it fortnightly or you can claim it all at the end of the tax year. If you go for the yearly payment, they pay it after you have lodged a tax return - you have to ring them if you're not required to lodge one or you won't get it.

If you claim it fortnightly, make sure you keep your earnings up to date with them or you could end up owing them some back.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery

Yes the upper limit is $90,000. Was sorting it out last week.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Verndownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

How long do you have to be in the country to claim anything?

Thanks

Tracey
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Verndownunder
How long do you have to be in the country to claim anything?

Thanks

Tracey
Depends on your visa type, and on what you are claiming - and sometimes on which State you are in.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:27 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Roughly speaking, if you were on about 40k, how much would you expect to get per fortnight (someone with no other income or savings...)?

I've made two applications now and they're being a bit difficult. I'd like to know a ball-park figure for ongoing budgeting.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urno
Roughly speaking, if you were on about 40k, how much would you expect to get per fortnight (someone with no other income or savings...)?

I've made two applications now and they're being a bit difficult. I'd like to know a ball-park figure for ongoing budgeting.

Are you on a PR visa and what age are your kids? and I'll work it out for you.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:01 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
Are you on a PR visa and what age are your kids? and I'll work it out for you.
Ooh, ta! Yes, we're PR's, kids are 5 & 3.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Urno
Ooh, ta! Yes, we're PR's, kids are 5 & 3.

If you earn less than $41,318 per year you will be entitled to the full amount of FTB, which is paid at a rate of $145.46 per fortnight or $4460.30 per year for each child under 13 years of age.

If your actual annual family income is more than $41 318 for the financial year, your payment will reduce by 20 cents for each dollar above $41,318, until your payment reaches the base rate of Family Tax Benefit Part A which is $67,014 for you.

Income limit will be higher if you are eligible for Rent Assistance.

If your earnings reach $107,797 then your FTB will stop, as you won't be eligible anymore.

Payment per year figures include the effect of the $667.95 Family Tax Benefit Part A Supplement which is available only after the end of the income (financial) year when annual family income can be assessed. Families with income approaching these amounts may only be able to be paid the Family Tax Benefit at the end of the income year and not as fortnightly payments.

So if you earn $40k per year you are entitled to $8920.60 per annum or $290.92 per fortnight.

Full details are here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...g_payments.htm

It should be noted that this amount only applies to people with 2 kids under 13 years of age. If your kids are older or you have more or less than 2 kids the amounts change.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Hello. I've just been looking at this confusing minefield of benefits. Which do you think I should be applying for?

Arrived recently and both of us still unemployed with 2 kids aged 9 and 4.

also, do you know if its backdated?

I can't decide between:

* Family Tax Benefit Part A - for parents or carers to help with the cost of raising children.
* Family Tax Benefit Part B - for single income families or sole parents.
* Parenting Payment - for parents or guardians to help with the cost of raising children.
* Child Care Benefit - for families to help with the cost of child care.
* Child Care Tax Rebate - additional help for families with the cost of child care.

I'm guessing it could be Part A, Parenting Payment of child care benefit, do you apply under all three or just one? very confused....

Thanks

KAREN
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen
Hello. I've just been looking at this confusing minefield of benefits. Which do you think I should be applying for?

Arrived recently and both of us still unemployed with 2 kids aged 9 and 4.

also, do you know if its backdated?

I can't decide between:

* Family Tax Benefit Part A - for parents or carers to help with the cost of raising children.
* Family Tax Benefit Part B - for single income families or sole parents.
* Parenting Payment - for parents or guardians to help with the cost of raising children.
* Child Care Benefit - for families to help with the cost of child care.
* Child Care Tax Rebate - additional help for families with the cost of child care.

I'm guessing it could be Part A, Parenting Payment of child care benefit, do you apply under all three or just one? very confused....

Thanks

KAREN
As a new migrant on a PR visa you can claim: Family tax benefit part A, and part B if applicable (seems like you will qualify for that).

You may also be entitled to rent assistance, depending on if you are renting and are entitled to FTB part A.

You can get child care benefits if you are both working, so this doesn't apply to you just now.

You can't claim the parenting one, or anything else until you have been here two years