Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Tax Office - my experience

Australian Tax Office - my experience

Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Re: Australian Tax Office - my experience

Originally Posted by Cam1977
Aussie tax is more dependent on PAYE income tax, so there's a general feeling that you're paying more tax when you get your pay slip. However, in the UK you pay more in indirect taxes - council tax, VAT, fuel excise, death duties, etc. The overall tax take in Oz is about 30% of GDP; in the UK it's about 36%. (That's from memory, so don't quote me.)
Cheers for that, I thought it kind of equalled itself out but if not, it is just a risk we take.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:27 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

However, in the UK you pay more in indirect taxes - council tax, VAT, fuel excise, death duties, etc.
You only have to pay council rates, GST and fuel excise and any other levies, after you get your payslip.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
You only have to pay council rates, GST and fuel excise and any other levies, after you get your payslip.
Well yes, but the point I was making is that some people only look at how much income tax is taken from their pay and then claim that Oz has higher taxes than the UK. That's what makes the Blair/Brown strategy of 'stealth taxes' work. When people see petrol going up another 2P it doesn't seem to register that more than half of it is tax.

If you want to compare taxes in both countries then you have to look at ALL taxes, not just income tax.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

coggerocks2 will become famous soon enough

Well yes, but the point I was making is that some people only look at how much income tax is taken from their pay and then claim that Oz has higher taxes than the UK. That's what makes the Blair/Brown strategy of 'stealth taxes' work. When people see petrol going up another 2P it doesn't seem to register that more than half of it is tax.

If you want to compare taxes in both countries then you have to look at ALL taxes, not just income tax.
Blair/brown..?! you dont think that the Conservatives before where just as guilty?

I was really just taking a dig at vash and hes typical posts

But have you considered FBT, GST (on everything virtually!), payroll tax (paid by a company), Medicare levy, Medicare Levy surcharge, stamp duty ( on cars too!?) etc. I think you'll find there are lots of State tax's out there too...

Until recently the tax brackets where pretty bad e.g. you really didnt have to be earning that much to be loosing nearly 50% of your pay....the 9% super its not a tax but your company has to pay it so you dont get it... pretty much like NI?!..

Apparently there are only two sure things in life Death and tax's (although I have heard nurses can be added to this list..)
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Without getting into a debate on relative taxation, my own experience with the ATO has been good - they seem more au fait with things than the majority of other enterprises here.

For example, I rang our local council this morning after receiving my first rates demand on our vacant land - they could not answer the most fundamental questions about the calculations or how to BPay online.

The ATO online tax return is also streets ahead of the UK one - which I NEVER got to work!