Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian superannuation

Australian superannuation

Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:38 am
je1
Just Joined

je1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really nice
Cool Australian superannuation

I migrated from UK to Brisbane as a permanent resident in 2006, and am planning to return to the UK. Unfortunately I transferred my UK pension to an Australian superannuation fund. I've now found out that there is no legislation to allow transfer of superannuation funds out of Australia. This means I have a fund I'll have to pay fees on until I'm old enough to claim it, and then I'll have to stand whatever costs are associated with getting my payments from Australia to England when the time comes. I know this site is mainly used by people coming out to Australia (and I used it myself a few years ago) rather than returning to England, but is there any one out there who has encountered this problem, and may have any advice or tips about this? (other than think very very carefully about transferring your UK pension to a super fund)
Julie
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian superannuation

Originally Posted by je1
I migrated from UK to Brisbane as a permanent resident in 2006, and am planning to return to the UK. Unfortunately I transferred my UK pension to an Australian superannuation fund. I've now found out that there is no legislation to allow transfer of superannuation funds out of Australia. This means I have a fund I'll have to pay fees on until I'm old enough to claim it, and then I'll have to stand whatever costs are associated with getting my payments from Australia to England when the time comes. I know this site is mainly used by people coming out to Australia (and I used it myself a few years ago) rather than returning to England, but is there any one out there who has encountered this problem, and may have any advice or tips about this? (other than think very very carefully about transferring your UK pension to a super fund)
Julie
One of my friends was here. He was from Asia. Came as a student and worked for 1-2 years before he headed back.

I think, there is a provision where you write to the authorities and explain that you are leaving Australia for good. They release the payment after 15% tax. This was I think 2006 if I remember right.

Not an expert but a financial planner would surely tell you straight away. Walk into any bank branch and ask for a financial planner. I am sure they will tell you straight away......
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.australiansuper.com/resou...per_Nov07R.pdf
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:59 am
je1
Just Joined

je1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really niceje1 is just really nice

thanks for the info, much appreciated
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by je1
thanks for the info, much appreciated
No worries.....let us know what happens...Wud be good to find out for others....
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
One of my friends was here. He was from Asia. Came as a student and worked for 1-2 years before he headed back.

I think, there is a provision where you write to the authorities and explain that you are leaving Australia for good. They release the payment after 15% tax. This was I think 2006 if I remember right.
Only possible if one was on an "eligible temporary visa."
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Only possible if one was on an "eligible temporary visa."
Of course.

He was on a Student and then a Temp visa.

My knowledge on this is limited and hence the link....