British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   the australian 'soccer' season (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australian-soccer-season-589919/)

Simo429 Feb 7th 2009 2:42 pm

the australian 'soccer' season

saying soccer just sends shivers down my spine

anyway back to the point

we are visiting melbourne and townsville in june/july and as a liverpool fan id like to spend some time stalking one mr robert fowler who has just joined north queensland fury

i was wondering if anyone can tell me if the season will be on when were there so we can go and see a game?

cheers in advance

Dougie Feb 7th 2009 5:11 pm

Re: the australian 'soccer' season

Yeah 'Soccer' just dont sound right does it ?? http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...007/scared.gif

And my first match @ Anfield was the 5-0 thrashing of Fulham courtesy of the great Mr Fowler :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
So i Will also be popping along to see him if we ever get there !!

They are a brand new side i know that much and there is nothing on there web site
HERE

or on the A-League web site (not sure if they will be in this or yu have to earn a place on it and they will be playing in the Queensland league first??)HERE

But is does look like they play there season through the same 'seasons' as us so since you going in there winter ish time you should be good for a few matches but dunno weather the Fury will be set up then ?? lets hope someone can shed some more light on the matter

Dougie

Dougie Feb 7th 2009 5:18 pm

I will stand corrected dont think you will see him playing then doesn't look like he will be playing till later in the year :thumbdown:

have a look here

Dougie

Dougie Feb 7th 2009 5:28 pm

Sorry me again !

You dont need to pass any beauty contests to be a referee in that league thats for sure clicky clicky :rofl:

looks like you may be out of season for sure they start in early august

Dougie

seayork2002 Feb 7th 2009 7:27 pm

Didn't they "offically" anounce it is to be called Football a few years ago?

[QUOTE=Simo429;7260276]saying soccer just sends shivers down my spine [QUOTE]

nicktork Feb 7th 2009 7:34 pm

In Australia a lot of toilets are made by a company called Fowler.

So, rather than "Armitage Shanks" or "Twyfords", you often get "R FOWLER" embossed on the porcelain. (Google it if you don't believe me.)

As a Manchester United fan, it always amuses me that I can pee on R FOWLER every day. My colleagues must think I'm weird when I come out of the toilet smiling. :D

seayork2002 Feb 7th 2009 7:37 pm

I bet they do!!!:D

Originally Posted by nicktork (Post 7260998)
My colleagues must think I'm weird when I come out of the toilet smiling. :D

RCoight Feb 7th 2009 10:45 pm

Although I agree the 'soccer' doesn't sound right the word was actually invented in the UK in the 1880s to distinguish the game from rugby.

The A-League site is here:
A-League website
The regular season starts in August and finishes at the end of January. There is then a 'Finals' process in February (basically glorified play-offs) which result in a Grand Final at the end of that month.
The North Queensland Fury will be playing from next (ie 2009-10) season. I think the season after that at least 1 more franchise, a second Melbourne team, is due to join as well. I'm not up on what other franchises are due to join.
Those who go regularly will have their own opinions about the standard: I'd put it at low Championship or high League One level at its best.
There's generally a much more family-orientated atmosphere. After 20+ years watching football all over the UK I still can't get over away fans freely mingling with home fans and being able to drink beer at your seat!

Dougie Feb 7th 2009 11:54 pm

[QUOTE=RCoight;7261436]Although I agree the 'soccer' doesn't sound right the word was actually invented in the UK in the 1880s to distinguish the game from rugby.

After 20+ years watching football all over the UK I still can't get over away fans freely mingling with home fans and being able to drink beer at your seat![/QUOTE]

Thats what its all about IMHO

Dougie :thumbup: