Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the australian 'soccer' season

the australian 'soccer' season

Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice
Default the australian 'soccer' season

saying soccer just sends shivers down my spine

anyway back to the point

we are visiting melbourne and townsville in june/july and as a liverpool fan id like to spend some time stalking one mr robert fowler who has just joined north queensland fury

i was wondering if anyone can tell me if the season will be on when were there so we can go and see a game?

cheers in advance
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:11 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: the australian 'soccer' season

Yeah 'Soccer' just dont sound right does it ??

And my first match @ Anfield was the 5-0 thrashing of Fulham courtesy of the great Mr Fowler
So i Will also be popping along to see him if we ever get there !!

They are a brand new side i know that much and there is nothing on there web site
HERE

or on the A-League web site (not sure if they will be in this or yu have to earn a place on it and they will be playing in the Queensland league first??)HERE

But is does look like they play there season through the same 'seasons' as us so since you going in there winter ish time you should be good for a few matches but dunno weather the Fury will be set up then ?? lets hope someone can shed some more light on the matter

Dougie
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:18 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

I will stand corrected dont think you will see him playing then doesn't look like he will be playing till later in the year

have a look here

Dougie
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:28 pm
Swollen Member

Sorry me again !

You dont need to pass any beauty contests to be a referee in that league thats for sure clicky clicky

looks like you may be out of season for sure they start in early august

Dougie
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Didn't they "offically" anounce it is to be called Football a few years ago?

[QUOTE=Simo429;7260276]saying soccer just sends shivers down my spine [QUOTE]
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:34 pm
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of

In Australia a lot of toilets are made by a company called Fowler.

So, rather than "Armitage Shanks" or "Twyfords", you often get "R FOWLER" embossed on the porcelain. (Google it if you don't believe me.)

As a Manchester United fan, it always amuses me that I can pee on R FOWLER every day. My colleagues must think I'm weird when I come out of the toilet smiling.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I bet they do!!!

Originally Posted by nicktork
My colleagues must think I'm weird when I come out of the toilet smiling.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Although I agree the 'soccer' doesn't sound right the word was actually invented in the UK in the 1880s to distinguish the game from rugby.

The A-League site is here:
A-League website
The regular season starts in August and finishes at the end of January. There is then a 'Finals' process in February (basically glorified play-offs) which result in a Grand Final at the end of that month.
The North Queensland Fury will be playing from next (ie 2009-10) season. I think the season after that at least 1 more franchise, a second Melbourne team, is due to join as well. I'm not up on what other franchises are due to join.
Those who go regularly will have their own opinions about the standard: I'd put it at low Championship or high League One level at its best.
There's generally a much more family-orientated atmosphere. After 20+ years watching football all over the UK I still can't get over away fans freely mingling with home fans and being able to drink beer at your seat!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:54 pm
Swollen Member

[QUOTE=RCoight;7261436]Although I agree the 'soccer' doesn't sound right the word was actually invented in the UK in the 1880s to distinguish the game from rugby.

After 20+ years watching football all over the UK I still can't get over away fans freely mingling with home fans and being able to drink beer at your seat![/QUOTE]

Thats what its all about IMHO

Dougie