Reload this Page >

Australian School System compared to UK

Australian School System compared to UK

Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:46 am
Just Joined

moonbeam_me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian School System compared to UK

Hi,

Looking for advice on the main differences to expect from the school system in Australia (SA) when moving between from the UK?

Mary x
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian School System compared to UK

The main thing would be, at the secondary level, is if your child is a self-starter and can work independently. Australian schools don't really crack the whip, and if your child is a drifter, they will let him or her drift. Kids automatically pass to the next year level - regardless of their results, and regardless of if they have even shown up for a single day all year. The kids know that too. Punishments are light, even for serious and violent infractions. The pass mark - to the extent it matters - is 35%, though many schools lower that to 30%.

The curriculum itself is fine; but there is no reward for doing great and no punishment for doing badly and student behaviour reflects that. There is a real sense of malaise in the government school system. The bureaucrats think it's the fault of the teachers and the teachers think it's the fault of the bureaucrats and the result of that is everyone digs in and refuses to change.

What a lot of families do, is keep their child in the government system for the first years of secondary, and then if he or she is on an academic/university track, put them in a private school for Years 11 and 12 (though that is slowly changing down to Year 9).
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn’t reflect all schools and not my experience in SA.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
That doesn’t reflect all schools and not my experience in SA.
Nor my experience in WA.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
If you want to dispute me saying schools don't "crack the whip" and the remarks about the relationship between bureaucrats and teachers - OK.

However, my other comments, I am writing about government standards/mandates and not "experiences." Automatic promotion regardless of attendance absolutely happens as a matter of course, not exception; schools are not allowed to exclude kids even for violent offences; and the pass marks are around 35%, sometimes lower.

If you are saying this is not "reflective", especially in WA - you are incorrect and are not familiar with Education Department practices.
According to the attached, public (state) schools in WA are permitted to suspend and expel students?
https://www.education.wa.edu.au/web/...spensions-down
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Suspend - yes (I didn't say they couldn't?).

Expel - ha ha ha.
what's funny? The report I attached also has information about the number of students excluded. Which would suggest that exclusion is permitted?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for quoting a press release.

My comments to OP stand.

I suggest you pay more attention to what is happening in schools.

For OP - if your son or daughter is self-motivating and independent, they will be fine. If they are not, you will have to stay on top of things, and work to ensure that they are engaged in activities and avenues that are motivating for them.

This should not be a reason to avoid Australia and stay in the UK.

Good luck.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For OP - if your son or daughter is self-motivating and independent, they will be fine. If they are not, you will have to stay on top of things, and work to ensure that they are engaged in activities and avenues that are motivating for them.
The op was looking for differences between the schooling in both countries.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

The West Australian, this week:

"WA Teachers threaten strike over classroom violence"

https://thewest.com.au/news/educatio...-ng-b88707446z

595 physical attacks against teachers by students last year - that amount has tripled since 2014. In that press release spouseofscouse cited - there were 8 expulsions last year and 12 the year before.

"Only attacks on students must be reported." So 595 assaults, just against teachers last year - but that's just what has been reported!

“Accounts of all kinds of violence have increased steadily over time but the number and nature of assaults perpetrated by young children has really surged recently."

"But the Education Department has shifted responsibility for protecting teachers to parents, saying that “moderating behaviour begins at home” and “without reinforcing positive messages outside of school grounds, a teacher’s job is very difficult”.'

Of course that just covers assaults on teachers. Not damage to property, bullying, severe classroom disruptions etc. Yeah 8 expulsions, the department is really swinging the hammer.

As I said: I suggest paying more attention to what is happening in schools.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said: I suggest paying more attention to what is happening in schools.
You're right. Our mistake. We're just commenting from the perspective of personal experience as parents of children in the education system. We should be paying more attention to official and unofficial reports.

Personally speaking, having had two children go through the UK government schooling system as well as the Queensland government schooling system (I realise the OP is only looking at SA). I personally believe there is little to choose between them, the set up is much the same, the educational standards are much the same. The only major difference I can come up with off the top of my head is that in Australia there is a continual build up to final exams at the end of Grade 12 rather than a build up to exams at the end of Grade 10 and then again in Grade 12.

As far as I'm aware (personal experience only) more children get held back to do a year again (for whatever reason) than ever happened in the UK. Just as many children get suspended/expelled regardless of country.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 6:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonbeam_me
Hi,

Looking for advice on the main differences to expect from the school system in Australia (SA) when moving between from the UK?

Mary x
About the same - the kids that come out of the end are basically the same all over the western world

Some will do well
Some will be average
Some will be poor

There is too much mumbo jumbo written about the differences (real or imagined - mainly the latter)
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:09 am
Just Joined

moonbeam_me is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I really appreciate all your comments, thanks so much.
I understand opinions on schooling varies from person to person.

If my husband is offered the job we'll be moving in June with a view to him starting in July so not much time to research and I think personal experiences speak volumes over what you can find out on the net...

I have four children, three of whom are primary school age.
I like the idea of sending them to a private school for their secondary education but I'm not sure if the costs outweigh the benefits...or if we could afford it once our fourth is at school 🙈

Do they have an equivalent of "Ofsted" in Oz where you can compare schools in an area?

The general consensus is that the systems are similar which has reassured me.
Thanks guys x
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

there is a continual build up to final exams at the end of Grade 12 rather than a build up to exams at the end of Grade 10 and then again in Grade 12.

That's quite a big thing, also reinforces that staying in to yr 12 a good idea perhaps.

Govt schools near ciites are often very good..and in the burbs parents sometimes elect to pay for cheapish private education. Im some cases it seems to be case of throw x,000 bucks and then forget. I don't necessarily think you get anything for that money. It all depends on catchment area.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 11:55 am
Concierge

Thank you for quoting a press release.

My comments to OP stand.

I suggest you pay more attention to what is happening in schools.
So as not to derail the OP's thread I'll only make one, final post.

There is no shame in making a mistake, such as stating that WA schools are not allowed to exclude students. There is no need to attempt to deflect the error, and issuing patronising statements exhorting other posters to 'pay attention' merely highlights the fact that you, in this instance, did not.

BE's a fabulous forum, a 'we're all this this together' forum. None of us knows it all, but together we come pretty damn close. Something to be both celebrated and respected
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonbeam_me
Oh I really appreciate all your comments, thanks so much.
I understand opinions on schooling varies from person to person.

If my husband is offered the job we'll be moving in June with a view to him starting in July so not much time to research and I think personal experiences speak volumes over what you can find out on the net...

I have four children, three of whom are primary school age.
I like the idea of sending them to a private school for their secondary education but I'm not sure if the costs outweigh the benefits...or if we could afford it once our fourth is at school 🙈

Do they have an equivalent of "Ofsted" in Oz where you can compare schools in an area?

The general consensus is that the systems are similar which has reassured me.
Thanks guys x
The systems are actually quite dissimilar and each state has their own system which is tricky enough for domestic transfers but, bottom line, Aussie kids end up equal at the end of Uni Honours with any other first world country. No Ofsted, Australia’s Education Union doesn’t like comparisons but the closest you will get is the myschool.edu.au site which reports on Naplan scores.

You say your DH is applying for a job - will this mean you will be temporary visa holders? In which case be aware that WA, SA, NSW and ACT all charge fees for school age kids, anywhere between $4k and $12k each. Also, as themporary visa holders you might be faced with a return to U.K. in which case you would notice that your kids will be “behind” their U.K. age peers academically. If, of course, you have permanent visas then the above is irrelevant.

Last edited by quoll; Jan 11th 2018 at 2:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.