Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian people: how do you find them?

Australian people: how do you find them?

Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:37 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian people: how do you find them?

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Have an Auntie in Australia, but not anti Australian.
Love living in North Yorkshire. Want to go to Aus as so many of my family live there or are moving there and really like Australia.
Think you'll find I point out not all of UK is crap and not all of Australia is "gods country" :scared: as I love being the devils advocate

You can come out from under the table now!!!!!
No stay under the table mand take a number ........ mm
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

I have always found Australians very nice indeed. Always easy to get on with and always very helpful and open.

Once when I was using my Uncles car in Perth on a Sunday I thought there was something wrong with the engine, there was loads of water coming out the bottom. (yes yes I hear you all saying that's the air con, but I'm from Scotland and don't know what air con is ) So anyhoo I stopped at the local vistor centre and asked if there was any garages open, the kind ozzie explained it was sunday, no garages open but she knows a man who could help, she rung him, no answer, she then told me to visit their version of halfords, I drove there, the man behind the counter couldn't help but he knew a man who could, this other guy worked for the AA and after a short phone call to him was happy to come by and have a look. he came, he saw, then took pitty has he explained to me it was the air con. I slipped him $10 to buy himself a beer and we were off again.

To this day I remember this, and can garuantee nothing like this would have happened in Scotland, in fact here's the scottish version...

Got to visitor centre, no one there, after finding someone get told, "no sorry, can't help you, it's a Sunday", then find halfords myself, get told "were halfords, can't help unless you want to buy a part", then me, join the AA and get someone out.

I love OZ and can't wait to get back. Although I'm sure OZ has places where the people aren't so friendly

Dave
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sasbear
Generally quite easy really - they usually live next door to you and often can be found in the supermarkets, clubs, gymnasiums and the local tavern
Thanks that made me giggle!

Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:35 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mashy
I explained that eating bacon butties was also an english past time but she didn`t offer
Did they know what a 'butty' is? They probably think you're some sort of sexual pervert now.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
i have found in general aussie folks are real nice however the other day i was at work im a travel consultant i had a older couple come to me has soon has they heard my accent they was not happy i was told to go back where i come from and they walked out the shop swearing and shouting...

me i was completely shocked and so where other people in the shop ,ive also had some one over the phone ask to speak to a aussie consultant ??

ok it upset me but i got this kind of attitude in the uk ,i would always say you get 90% nice people but it does no matter where you are you will also get that 10% who are nasty rude but thats there problem..

cheers

Thats not happened to me, or anything like it in the 26 years I've been here. Errm I'd go as far as to say thats bullshit...

I've had people take the piss though, at parties, but that is more of a joke, and being the odd man out type syndrome.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future

I only called it gods country as more than a few Aussies have referred to it as that! Glad that overall people have found them to be a bunch of likeable folk too. I was just surprised that people I spoke to before I came had such a bad opinion of the pom/aussie relationship. Oh and I think I have seen the Aussies in the supermarket too, are they the ones with no shoes?! That is something I find rather odd but manageable. Glad I am not a podiatrist, i'll bet they are busy! Saw one lady with only one leg and only three toes on the remaining one and she had no shoe on! Thought she would have taken better care of what she had left!

If this really is Gods country then I am on my knees praying that we don't get pasted at the Ashes. We are off to day 2 at the Gabba, come on England!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jond]
Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
i have found in general aussie folks are real nice however the other day i was at work I'm a travel consultant i had a older couple come to me has soon has they heard my accent they was not happy i was told to go back where i come from and they walked out the shop swearing and shouting...

me i was completely shocked and so where other people in the shop ,Ive also had some one over the phone ask to speak to a aussie consultant ??

Thankfully I haven't come across that attitude. I have had more comments about the weather than I can remember, a cold wet day over here immediately brings out the "you must be used to this its the same as your summer" my standard reply is "I come from England not Finland".

Last night we popped out for a meal and when I asked for a beer at the bar the old git next to me said " I bet your not used to cold beer are you". I followed this with an icy stare and a very sarcastic "wow not heard that one before"

On the whole I find the Aussies very friendly and helpful, though I think it is a lot on the outside and you would take a long time to become real friends with one. This has has probably got a lot to do with the fact that they have there own circle of friends already.

I get called a pom all the time and I even call myself one. One thing I am glad of is that I am no shrinking violet and give more than I get. Today I got called a whinging pom over something or other and replied your be the ones whinging next week when we kick your arses at the Gabba (finger crossed)

John
Spot on Jond, Thats exactly the right reaction, Although the bloke at the bar was probably trying to be freindly... Beleive it or not. !
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shonalouise
I only called it gods country as more than a few Aussies have referred to it as that! Glad that overall people have found them to be a bunch of likeable folk too. I was just surprised that people I spoke to before I came had such a bad opinion of the pom/aussie relationship. Oh and I think I have seen the Aussies in the supermarket too, are they the ones with no shoes?! That is something I find rather odd but manageable. Glad I am not a podiatrist, i'll bet they are busy! Saw one lady with only one leg and only three toes on the remaining one and she had no shoe on! Thought she would have taken better care of what she had left!

If this really is Gods country then I am on my knees praying that we don't get pasted at the Ashes. We are off to day 2 at the Gabba, come on England!
I love the way you phrase things SL, I agree totally with what you are saying... However what you are saying makes me realise, that if go back to the UK after spending half of my life here, I will have a lot of trouble relating to the locals there, because obviously I now have mostly Aussie mannerisms.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I love the way you phrase things SL, I agree totally with what you are saying... However what you are saying makes me realise, that if go back to the UK after spending half of my life here, I will have a lot of trouble relating to the locals there, because obviously I now have mostly Aussie mannerisms.
I am still very much a Brit, only been here a few months! Surprised how many people have said that they love my accent. Very broad, common and northern through and through. People in the UK would look down on me due to my accent, over here they can't get enough of it. Getting bored of people mimicking me say 'cup o tea', although they do a mean impression of it! I haven't quite developed enough linguistic skill to mock their accent, yet!!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am still very much a Brit, only been here a few months! Surprised how many people have said that they love my accent. Very broad, common and northern through and through. People in the UK would look down on me due to my accent, over here they can't get enough of it. Getting bored of people mimicking me say 'cup o tea', although they do a mean impression of it! I haven't quite developed enough linguistic skill to mock their accent, yet!!
That will take years Shona (same name as my Daughter )... No one looks down on anyone here because of accent. Takes a bit of getting used to that one. Nope wipe the slate clean, you really are in a country that judges you for what you are and how you react to people, and you are reacting just fine

Takes years for some poms to realise this
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:19 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't quite developed enough linguistic skill to mock their accent, yet!!
Don't worry, you will!

I recommend watching a Steve Irwin video... After a few hours of that, you'll be fluent.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

I haven't quite developed enough linguistic skill to mock their accent, yet!!
check this out

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

should provide some laughs
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the LUCKY country it would be referred to as (certainly by older Aussies because it was actually an ironical term of derision coined by Donald Horne in his book of the same name)?

http://www.naa.gov.au/Exhibitions/events/mulvaney.html

Re the Ashes I can only re-iterate that wonderful banner:

"Poms used to come here 200 years ago to be flogged. Nothing's changed"

(166 run defeat to a second or third eleven was an inauspicious beginning, I only hope it isn't a damp squib like most before and that it isn't a case of one swallow making a summer). At least you can't be in a losing position by Day 2 at The Gabba.

OzTennis
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

That's terrible how they mimick "cup o' tea". There's no way you would be drinking one - firstly your whippet would be pulling at the lead, there would be feathers in it from your pigeons and the peak of your cloth cap would strike the cup.
Honestly, these Aussies are so stereotypical.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
I think they went with the "Mind Games" plan.
As long as we get as far as day 3 of the Perth Test I dont mind.
Having just paid $570 for membership so do I as I can't go on days 1 or 2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.