Australian Kids

Old Nov 11th 2002, 4:55 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Kids

Even the kids here will not admit to being Aussie?

Many children don't feel Australian: study

BRISBANE

ONE in 10 second generation Australian children surveyed recently say they don't feel Australian.

The Queensland study of about 900 children between the ages of 12 and 16 released today looked at their views on national identity.

More than half of the recipients were second generation Australians.

Of those, fewer than 50 per cent regarded themselves as being "totally Australian" even though they were born here and so were their parents.

And almost 10 per cent felt "not at all" Australian, as did one in three children who were born overseas.

Researcher Nola Purdie, of Queensland University of Technology, said more research was needed to find out why.

She said researchers were still analysing the data to find out whether those children were more likely to be from certain cultural groups.

She said the traditional icons of an outdoor lifestyle with barbies, the beach and drinking beer were least important.

Dr Purdie said some of the data was collected after last month's Bali bombings.

"There was a small, but significant decrease in the diversity factor so that kids were slightly less inclined to say that being Australian means that we accept people from all over the world," she said.

"After Bali, there was an increase in the value respondents gave to well-being at home.

"This suggests that with these things happening overseas, young people value our safety and prosperity here more than ever."

Dr Purdie said the study was believed to be the first large survey looking at young people's perceptions of the Australian identity.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

ianduggan5 is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds exactly like the UK! I wish I had a penny for everybody I have met in the UK who is less than 3rd or 4th generation who says that they are going 'home' for a holiday, I would be a very rich man.

This happens the world over!
Old Nov 12th 2002, 10:55 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ianduggan5
This sounds exactly like the UK! I wish I had a penny for everybody I have met in the UK who is less than 3rd or 4th generation who says that they are going 'home' for a holiday, I would be a very rich man.

This happens the world over!
More from an Aussie.

New Aussie way

WE SHOULD hardly be surprised to learn that a Queensland survey has revealed that one in 10 second-generation Australian children doesn't feel Australian at all (Children miss out on feeling Australian, 12/11).

What can we expect when we have elected a series of governments that have done their level best to ensure such attitudes prevail?

While we have a massive water crisis on our hands and our education and health systems are screaming for funds, we pay out almost $2 billion a year on overseas aid, including millions to India and Pakistan. These countries then spend billions making nuclear weapons while multitudes of their citizens live in abject poverty.

Former prime ministers Fraser and Keating are among many public figures who are constantly berating us for wanting to protect our borders against illegal entrants, but for those who have come to this country after paying people smugglers thousands of dollars we spend $104 a day to keep them as against $54 a day on each of our elderly nursing-home patients.

Legal aid lawyers eagerly take up the cases of these illegal immigrants as they launch appeal after appeal if they're found not to be refugees, but just let the average Aussie taxpayer try to fund a legal battle.

What could be described as politically correct attitudes are condoned and encouraged by certain sections of the media and talkback callers to radio programs who try to voice opposition to multiculturalism and the burning of our flag often meet ridicule and derision from certain hosts.
PETER STINSON, Redcliffe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------