Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Internet Speeds

Australian Internet Speeds

Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:24 am
ABCDiamond

Default Australian Internet Speeds

Australian Internet User Statistics

Source: ABS publication: Internet Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8153.0)

June 2008
  • There were 7.23 million subscribers to the Internet in Australia, 6.21 million being household subscribers.
  • 43% of subscribers in June 2008 had an internet speed of 1.5Mbps or faster, compared to only 17% at the end of September, 2006.
  • There were 1.57 million Dial Up subscribers in June 2008, down from 2.75 million in Sept 2006.
  • 5.66 million subscribers now use connections other than Dial Up, 3.94 million of these use DSL.
  • There are 262,000 users with a speed of 24Mbps or greater
  • There are 1,390,000 users with a speed between 8Mbps and 24Mbps
  • There are 1,440,000 users with a speed between 1.5Mbps and 8Mbps
  • There are 2,551,000 users with a speed between 256kbps and 1.5Mbps
  • There are 1,581,000 users with a speed of less than 256kbps

Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Internet Speeds

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Australian Internet User Statistics

Source: ABS publication: Internet Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8153.0)

• There are 262,000 users with a speed of 24Mbps or greater
  • There are 1,390,000 users with a speed between 8Mbps and 24Mbps
  • There are 1,440,000 users with a speed between 1.5Mbps and 8Mbps
  • There are 2,551,000 users with a speed between 256kbps and 1.5Mbps
  • There are 1,581,000 users with a speed of less than 256kbps
I bet the speeds are as quoted by the ISP and in most cases are totally unachievable.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:56 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I bet the speeds are as quoted by the ISP and in most cases are totally unachievable.
Perhaps, but I am on 30Mbps Cable and I regularly get >24Mbps when I do various speed tests. Last week it was more like 9Mbps and the quality of browsing the web has been awful for the last couple of months, peaking at crap central for the last couple of weeks.

Al
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Perhaps, but I am on 30Mbps Cable and I regularly get >24Mbps when I do various speed tests. Last week it was more like 9Mbps and the quality of browsing the web has been awful for the last couple of months, peaking at crap central for the last couple of weeks.

Al
Enjoy it while you can, when Conjob gets his filter we might all just as well use dial-up!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:41 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy it while you can, when Conjob gets his filter we might all just as well use dial-up!
Yep, well aware (see my sig)
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:00 am
ABCDiamond

I reckon the 4.1 million users at under 1.5Mbps are achieving under 1.5Mbps correctly

Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bigAPE

Al
And the kids are on holiday at the moment, (mine since the first week of December) clogging up the internet ?

It'll be interesting to see if it speeds up again after they go back to school...

Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:05 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I live nearly two hours out of Sydney and can't complain about the performance of my connection.

(ADSL2)

Last edited by harrip; Jan 4th 2009 at 11:12 am. Reason: stated connection type.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:07 am
No Clean Feed

...and on a bad day too

Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:21 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

And how many mums and dads are blindly buying into telstra, and supporting the dinosaur. Looking at the numbers many are still stuck on 8 mbps lines either by adsl 1 online exchange or denied adsl 2 by the nasty RIMs
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:23 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a small town a couple of hours south of Sydney and on my 8Mb rated line I get ...

Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:52 am
ABCDiamond

And i've been quite happy with my 1.5Mb connection... it has done what I need, and seems fast enough...

But seeing the other figures, I may consider upgrading after all.

But... how much will it REALLY save me in time, just on basic web surfing ?

Will 23,000 kb/s compared to my 1,400 really make much difference ?

Web pages appear pretty quick to me, so will I really notice the difference ?

Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:38 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

And i've been quite happy with my 1.5Mb connection... it has done what I need, and seems fast enough...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/384282595.png

But seeing the other figures, I may consider upgrading after all.

But... how much will it REALLY save me in time, just on basic web surfing ?

Will 23,000 kb/s compared to my 1,400 really make much difference ?

Web pages appear pretty quick to me, so will I really notice the difference ?
Errr... Vicky point is an adsl 1 exchange with a max speed of 8mbs.

Put your Downstream attenuation (dB) from your modem into this to calculate an estimated max speed.

http://fremnet.net/article/216/adsl-...eed-calculator
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by datamile
Errr... Vicky point is an adsl 1 exchange with a max speed of 8mbs.

Put your Downstream attenuation (dB) from your modem into this to calculate an estimated max speed.

http://fremnet.net/article/216/adsl-...eed-calculator
Downstream attenuation ? Errr.. umm I'm lost... It's a D-Link DSL-G604T

I'd actually forgotten about Vicky point being only ADSL1.
I did look it up once, but haven't really felt the need for speed enough to think much about it before.

Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:24 am
DownUnder

Downstream attenuation ? Errr.. umm I'm lost... It's a D-Link DSL-G604T

I'd actually forgotten about Vicky point being only ADSL1.
I did look it up once, but haven't really felt the need for speed enough to think much about it before.
If you can login into you modem, then I think its list under the Status/ADSL menu. Should show something like

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 576
US Margin 25
DS Margin 17
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 51
US Line Attenuation 62
Path Mode Fast Path

and of course you've changed your default modem login ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.