Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Healthcare system??

Australian Healthcare system??

Old May 15th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Healthcare system??

Originally Posted by jad n rich
At ER we were have always been given a form on arrival in which you declare if you want to use private or medicare for your treatment.
I guess what you put on the form depends on what the situation is, but the form to me has never read if you have private you must use it, its always been a choice. Besides if you pay private insurance you still pay the medicare levy hence the choice??
Originally Posted by joho
You do not have to use your insurance if you dont want to, you just tell them you want to go public. I have been in hospital 3 times in the last 18 months (as an admittance), me and wol sound similar in our health probs since moving here I always say yes you can use my insurance if you waive the gap, I get no bills but the hospital claims some from my health insurance win win.

Jo
Thanks, good points, so I can chose whether to be treated as a private patient or not.

And also good point about the No Gap bit, I guess the public hospital can then claim some back from the private health insurance so everyone wins.

You'd think that as I work at a private hospital I know all of this but I've only just started and none of the nursing staff know much about the fees etc and they are not really interested either!

Sam
Old May 15th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Healthcare system??

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No medal, just a new wife...

But I did return to the UK in between then and now, for a few years.

Sam