Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Equivalent of Comet/Dixons

Australian Equivalent of Comet/Dixons

Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future
Default Australian Equivalent of Comet/Dixons

Hi everyone,
We just received a quote today of nearly £3,000 to ship our goods to Australia and that is mainly for our 2 large 32" LCD tvs, Xbox 360s, computers etc. We are a little stunned by this and think it's far too high.
We were wondering if it might just be better to buy when we're there but aren't sure of which shops are available that are similar to Dixons and Comet here in the UK. We've had a quick look around and can't seem to find anything like them. Any help would be much appreciated.
Have looked at JB Hifi, Harvey Norman, Kmart, Target etc, but they're not really the same.
Thanks
Tracy
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Australian Equivalent of Comet/Dixons

Hi.

Don't know about shops in Oz, but i do know that tv will not work out there. You will get sound but no picture.

I'm looking into prices at the moment and X box etc seem more expensive out there but i'm still looking around.

Steve.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Hi,
Thanks for replying. The TV will work out there so long as you use a set top box or have foxtel which we will be. The Xbox will be fine there too as well as the games. The prices for the Xbox Premium system over there is $649. Same as here really.
Tracy
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:50 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Dick Smiths is the equivalent of the old Tandy stores. The Good Guys is very similar to Comet. Harvey Norman (excusing the fact that they sell home furnishings too) is very similar to Dixons.

With regard shipping costs - might be worth getting a quote off Excess Baggage (assuming that they're not the ones who already quoted you 3 grand!!) - or one of the other smaller cargo sized shippers.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi.

Don't know about shops in Oz, but i do know that tv will not work out there. You will get sound but no picture.

I'm looking into prices at the moment and X box etc seem more expensive out there but i'm still looking around.

Steve.
That's not strictly true. If it's an older TV then you'll have sound issues, which are easily rectified by piping the audio through your VCR. If it's newish (like five years or so) then it'll work fine.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:02 pm
Australia's Doorman

You can find a rough guide to the costs of furnishing/filling a house in a thread I posted a couple of months ago - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349298
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hutch
That's not strictly true. If it's an older TV then you'll have sound issues, which are easily rectified by piping the audio through your VCR. If it's newish (like five years or so) then it'll work fine.

Ha ha. Just shows that i shouldn't believe everything i read on forums. I was led to believe no tv fro UK would work in OZ.

Thanks for info.

Steve.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by r1c1
Ha ha. Just shows that i shouldn't believe everything i read on forums. I was led to believe no tv fro UK would work in OZ.

Thanks for info.

Steve.
No worries. Should clarify that there's only an issue with the sound on those older tellies if you talk about the signal coming straight from the roof aerial into the back of the telly. If the signal is coming via your Foxtel/AusStar box, DVD, VCR or Media PC then there won't be an issue.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

loomatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been quote £2500 -taking 4 single beds - sofa bed - large tv - computers- lawn mower- 2 bikes- table - chairs and a stack more stuff
matt