Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Education

Australian Education

Old Aug 6th 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hevs, I didn't mean to come across as saying all Comps are bad, there is a fantastic one near us called Mountain Creek, but you have to be in the catchment area as it is so popular

What you are saying is true, there are great schools out here as well as in the Uk. I have been pleasantly surprised so far, after all the talk on here I was imagining kids sitting in class chewing straw all day, making hanging-cork hats and playing footie

Badge: The tests are used to compare the kids performance across the state and within the school. It is called benchmark testing and has happened for years in schools. It allows the school to be compared against others, including factors such as social poverty ( number of kids on low income) Eng as 2nd language, indigenous heritage and many other factors which unfortunately make it harder for kids to succeed at school.

Also kids are tested at say grade 1 and then this can be compared with their results at grade 3 and 5, to see if they have improved along the same curve, have exceeded or dropped lower and may need extra support.

All this information is collected by the state and they get an idea of what the intake of a school is like and how it is performing for its' pupils. Also which schools have a high % of Special Needs and will need extra funding etc.

Hevs: A bigger school will get more funding than a small one as schools get an amount for each child, the more children they have the more money they get!

Last edited by tinaj; Aug 6th 2004 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 12:00 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Education

Originally Posted by NZtoUK
I'm a teacher too and I wonder whether we teach in the same country! Where is it 'generally known' that we start formal education too early? Certainly not amongst my colleagues. Our primary schools are amongst the best in the world and statistics bear this out. I have never heard of any class with 43 children in it (with the exception of Victorian schools) though I don't doubt you. There is something wrong with the school you are in if this is acceptable and/or the norm.
I teach in a below average catchment area and yet the spread of abilities is nowhere near as big as yours. Our schools are well resourced and professionally run. Tell me that interactive whiteboards are becoming the norm in Australia as they are in English schools.
By the way, your spelling was appalling, don't you proof read?
Hi NZtoUK,
I am a soon to be NQT and I had a similar range of reading/writing ability (6 1/2 yrs to 15) in my year 5 class on my first assessed teaching practise. Even with setting differentiation was a nightmare.

I agree with you about the Interactive Whiteboards, aren't they great (I am biased though my degree is in computing). I have landed my dream job in a high achieving village school in a beautiful rural location 6 minutes away from my 9 year old's school. My new school has very supportive parents, lovely children, I get a free laptop and an I-board in every class the only downside is that I will have 32 children (mixed year group 4/5) in my class so planning will be more challenging than at present. We are planning to move to Perth next year and I am dreading having to give it all up.

I read on the net that I-boards are on their way to Perth schools but how long it will take for them to become as widespread as they are here I've no idea.

Anyone one over in Perth have any info about I-boards in primary schools?

ACE

Last edited by ACE; Jun 5th 2005 at 12:12 am.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

I have nothing but praise for Queensland state education after my children's experiences. I have even emailed my sons uk school (a very 'good quality state school') to tell about his progress.

Jake (14) was identified as 'gifted and talented' in the uk. Then nothing happened. No change to his study, or more challenging work. He inevitably got bored and developed an 'attitude problem'. During the two years he was in high school he became apathetic, depressed, fell behind with work and disengaged himself from the system. The school responded by telling him if he worked hard and completed the set work they would reward him by giving him extra and more challenging work - yeh, like that would motivate him. He was moved down sets and in his own words he was going to eventually 'drop out'.

Here in oz he was in high school for one month before they identified his ability. He was moved into a 'high achievers' set. He has a different and more challenging curriculum and is thriving. Most importantly he is happy, motivated and proud of his achievements. The teaching style/curriculum suits him far better. The teachers treat him as a person (less hierarchical) and the curriculum is very student-led and centred. They reward kids for achieving (something they don't seen to to in the uk incase they upset less academic kids). He is now talking about going to uni.

My daughter (10) is more like her mother (clever socially and creatively clever rather than academically - ha ha). She is also enjoying the oz system. We were talking about it yesterday. She says the work is about the same level as the uk, but the teaching is different. There seems to be more interactive teaching eg. pretend gambling to demonstrate probability. There is also more creative stuff going on - music and art (taken out of the uk curriculum to make way for maths and english).

This is obviously based only on my kid's experiences, but I couldn't be happier with the education here.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australian Education

Originally Posted by ACE
We are planning to move to Perth next year and I am dreading having to give it all up.

I read on the net that I-boards are on their way to Perth schools but how long it will take for them to become as widespread as they are here I've no idea.

Anyone one over in Perth have any info about I-boards in primary schools?

ACE

Don't have any info. on I-boards in Perth, although I do use one. They are very expensive and not usually provided by the Department. However, isn't technology and aid to good teaching, not a substitute? I have no doubt that given good teaching ability you will do well without your I-board.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 8:03 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

My kids enjoy a more laid back education compared to the strict catholic education they recieved in the UK and as a result have faired much better I feel. The teachers like the fact we are involved in our childrens education and find it no problem to contact us if they have any worries.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:00 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Don't have any info. on I-boards in Perth, although I do use one. They are very expensive and not usually provided by the Department. However, isn't technology and aid to good teaching, not a substitute? I have no doubt that given good teaching ability you will do well without your I-board.
Agreed.

Our Lea here in Southend had a Tesco's type deal-buy one I-board get one free, so my home school bought 2, the parents bought 1 and they got 3 free. As a result we have one in every class throughout the infants school.

It is nice to have one as my children absolutely love our i-board, it's really useful to have another resource to help vary their curriculum. I was a singer (12 years West End musicals/opera) in my previous career so I also use drama and music when teaching literacy and numeracy. There are so many other great resources in primary schools now, things to make the curriculum more exciting and accessible to children with SEN, EAL pupils, kinaesthetic learners etc. I-boards are just another weapon in a teacher's armour.

ACE[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ACE; Jun 5th 2005 at 9:09 am.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 1:39 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Smile Re: Australian Education

Originally Posted by RReed
Jake (14) was identified as 'gifted and talented' in the uk. Then nothing happened. No change to his study, or more challenging work. He inevitably got bored and developed an 'attitude problem'. During the two years he was in high school he became apathetic, depressed, fell behind with work and disengaged himself from the system. The school responded by telling him if he worked hard and completed the set work they would reward him by giving him extra and more challenging work - yeh, like that would motivate him. .
I can really relate to this.

My son is in Year 4 here in the U.K. The teachers have always told us that he is very bright, which was nice. But in practical terms, at best it made no difference, and at times caused us real problems.

When he was in Year 2 we were told his spelling was aprox age 12 and his maths 9+. Consequently he found the class spellings, reading and maths homework (e.g. write down all the odd numbers up to 20) very easy and he got frustrated. The teacher said she recognised that he found it unchallenging but (and I quote) it caused too much extra work for her to provide him with individual work. She told me to go to WHSmith to buy a book so he could start learning his tables, and to just forget about the spelling homework.... I do appreciate that teachers have a lot of work to do, but this sent a terrible message.

Now, 2 years later, we are told that his work is "well-above average". As I said, this is nice, but it seems that because they can be ticked off the list and said to be doing well, there is no scope (time/interest/too many children in the class/pressure of league tables) for making sure that these children are actually still being challenged by what they are doing.

The school he is at is very highly thought of, and I dare say it isn't bad although in my opinion it is rated highly because it is small, new, and it's catchment area means that its pupil/parents are all educated, white, and middle-class... (opps - a rant for another time, perhaps?)

My daughter has just started at a very good girls high school and has been put on the Gifted and Talented Register for maths. The school is big on maths, so I really thought she'd be given lots of "enhancement" type work to keep up her interest.... in theory she should, but her teacher is new and clearly can't cope with the numbers and ranges of abilities in even this top set. Her books are rarely marked, they get very little homework and a few weeks ago she spent 20 minutes with her hand in the air, as instructed, waiting for him to give her the advanced work... which she never got.

I realise that for parents of children with recognised special needs, this seems like carping on about nothing.... and I also expect I may find a similar situation in Australian Schools, but I'm hoping that if we choose carefully, they may be like your son and stay switched on!!!

thanks for letting me rant - I feel better now
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by floss
I can really relate to this.

My son is in Year 4 here in the U.K. The teachers have always told us that he is very bright, which was nice. But in practical terms, at best it made no difference, and at times caused us real problems.

When he was in Year 2 we were told his spelling was aprox age 12 and his maths 9+. Consequently he found the class spellings, reading and maths homework (e.g. write down all the odd numbers up to 20) very easy and he got frustrated. The teacher said she recognised that he found it unchallenging but (and I quote) it caused too much extra work for her to provide him with individual work. She told me to go to WHSmith to buy a book so he could start learning his tables, and to just forget about the spelling homework.... I do appreciate that teachers have a lot of work to do, but this sent a terrible message.

Now, 2 years later, we are told that his work is "well-above average". As I said, this is nice, but it seems that because they can be ticked off the list and said to be doing well, there is no scope (time/interest/too many children in the class/pressure of league tables) for making sure that these children are actually still being challenged by what they are doing.

The school he is at is very highly thought of, and I dare say it isn't bad although in my opinion it is rated highly because it is small, new, and it's catchment area means that its pupil/parents are all educated, white, and middle-class... (opps - a rant for another time, perhaps?)

My daughter has just started at a very good girls high school and has been put on the Gifted and Talented Register for maths. The school is big on maths, so I really thought she'd be given lots of "enhancement" type work to keep up her interest.... in theory she should, but her teacher is new and clearly can't cope with the numbers and ranges of abilities in even this top set. Her books are rarely marked, they get very little homework and a few weeks ago she spent 20 minutes with her hand in the air, as instructed, waiting for him to give her the advanced work... which she never got.

I realise that for parents of children with recognised special needs, this seems like carping on about nothing.... and I also expect I may find a similar situation in Australian Schools, but I'm hoping that if we choose carefully, they may be like your son and stay switched on!!!

thanks for letting me rant - I feel better now
That sounds so familiar! My son coasted along behaving himself in primary school and attained the best SATs maths score the school had ever had. Two years later (and a boost of hormones) he was bored with an attitude problem and failing. It's sounds like your daughter is coping better in the 'gifted and talented' programme. But, I think it is unfair to expect kids to work through the standard work before being given the 'advanced work'.

I know the uk try not to segregate kids. But it seems to work really well in oz. Kids who are high academic achievers are working together. The teacher can focus at this level, and the kids aren't embarrassed to be 'geeks'. Jake still has mixed ability classes for some subjects and mixes socially with both sets. The kids who are good at the Arts and Sports (definately not Jake) are also picked up and challenged in these areas.

I hope you are also lucky enough to find a good school in oz!
Rachel
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:29 am
Just Joined

KatyH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
my name is Katy Humphries and I am a journalist with 'Australian News', a monthly publication to help British people considering moving to Australia. I am currently researching the similarities and differences between education in the UK and Australia. There have been so many fascinating observations, and I would really like to include some personal experiences in my story, so if you would be happy to help could you post your observations (inc your name) or e-mail me at [email protected].
Many thanks,
Katy
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:00 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RReed
That sounds so familiar! My son coasted along behaving himself in primary school and attained the best SATs maths score the school had ever had. Two years later (and a boost of hormones) he was bored with an attitude problem and failing. It's sounds like your daughter is coping better in the 'gifted and talented' programme. But, I think it is unfair to expect kids to work through the standard work before being given the 'advanced work'.

I know the uk try not to segregate kids. But it seems to work really well in oz. Kids who are high academic achievers are working together. The teacher can focus at this level, and the kids aren't embarrassed to be 'geeks'. Jake still has mixed ability classes for some subjects and mixes socially with both sets. The kids who are good at the Arts and Sports (definately not Jake) are also picked up and challenged in these areas.

I hope you are also lucky enough to find a good school in oz!
Rachel
Your son sounds about the same age as mine (13 in Sept) and of similar ability except that my son is fairly good at sports as well. Loves sport anyway. Is your son at state school or private? We are looking to move to Perth in January and have thought that we should start to email schools already.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Your son sounds about the same age as mine (13 in Sept) and of similar ability except that my son is fairly good at sports as well. Loves sport anyway. Is your son at state school or private? We are looking to move to Perth in January and have thought that we should start to email schools already.
Jake is getting into sport over here - impossible not to. He is good at athletics but doesn't like team sport (worrying!). I think his main problem is that he doesn't like doing something his is not the best at. He needs to learn how to be a loser like his parents - ha ha!

We live on the Sunshine Coast and he goes to Mountain Creek High. This school is frequently mentioned on here, so do a search. It's a state school and has an excellent reputation which it has lived up to. It was one of the main reasons why we chose this area to live in.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Perth schools. Good luck with your move and your research.
Rachel