Reload this Page >

australian driving license types/ changing uk one over

australian driving license types/ changing uk one over

Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

magsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default australian driving license types/ changing uk one over

hi all

i have a uk driving license with a class 2(C) on it.

i would like to no how to transfer it to aussie equivalent and what is needed to drive lorry's out there, any info would be much appreciated

many thanks

magsey
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australian driving license types/ changing uk one over

Originally Posted by magsey
hi all

i would like to no how to transfer it to aussie equivalent and what is needed to drive lorry's out there, any info would be much appreciated

many thanks

magsey
Which State are you moving to?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:57 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

That must be an old licence, as Class 2 hasn't been used for years! A UK class C licence is equivalent (in Queensland) to an HR licence which entitles you to drive a rigid truck of any weight.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:04 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magsey
hi all

many thanks

magsey
If it's SA you'll have to take at least a practical test. They only automatically transfer a basic car and motorbike licence. Best to check the website of whatever state you're moving to
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
If it's SA you'll have to take at least a practical test. They only automatically transfer a basic car and motorbike licence. Best to check the website of whatever state you're moving to
Same in QLD. Well it was six years ago, it may have changed but the husband couldn't get his transferred over without testing first.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:27 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Same in QLD. Well it was six years ago, it may have changed but the husband couldn't get his transferred over without testing first.
No test in Queensland now, it was stopped about 3 or 4 years back (from memory )
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No test in Queensland now, it was stopped about 3 or 4 years back (from memory )
For an HR licence?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 4:31 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

From the Qld Gov website:
Can I drive in Queensland under my valid foreign driver licence?

When driving on a road in Queensland under your valid foreign driver licence you must:
•only drive the class of motor vehicle authorised on that licence
•comply with the conditions (if any) of your licence
•show your licence to a police officer when asked to do so.
If your licence is in a language other than English you should carry a recognised English translation of the licence.

Heavy vehicle licence holders

If you are applying for a Queensland heavy vehicle driver licence (class LR, MR, HR, HC or MC) and you hold, or have held within the past five years, a driver licence, other than a learner licence, that corresponds to a heavy vehicle licence, granted:

•from a country other than New Zealand - you will need to successfully complete the written road rules test and the practical driving test for that class of vehicle.

Or in other words, you can drive a heavy goods vehicle (unarticulated) on your UK licence (for 3 months) but you will need to take the test to obtain the Queensland licence.

If the idea of a practical test scares you, try popping over to New Zealand, converting your UK licence to a NZ one, then coming back and swapping the NZ licence for the Queensland one. No practical test involved, although you will need to do two different theory tests!

Last edited by KJCherokee; Apr 17th 2012 at 4:39 am.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
For an HR licence?
Ah don't know about that, the test for the car/bike licence was removed.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ah don't know about that, the test for the car/bike licence was removed.
Lol even I know that! I remember being seriously naffed off because I'd had to do the test. In fact it still naffs me off, everyone should have to do a test to get a licence in a different country. Bloody silly that they changed it.

Rant over, as you were.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I am on a 457 Visa, I am supposed to change my licence in the first 3 months but didn't. Can you get penalised for not doing it?
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I am on a 457 Visa, I am supposed to change my licence in the first 3 months but didn't. Can you get penalised for not doing it?
The 457 is a Temp visa. You don't have to change it at all, you are able to drive on your UK one for the term of your visa.