Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the Australian 'dream' dead?

Is the Australian 'dream' dead?

Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:05 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the Australian 'dream' dead?

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
£200,000 get you a three bed mid terrace in the SE??? Not anymore it wont!
We have been trying to get on the property ladder for years and last year nearly bought a brand new Bloor home but this would have cost us £300,000! with a mortgage of £900 a month.
We decided against it. Glad we did. House prices are ridiculous in the UK probably not much better in Oz but maybe just maybe we can get a house and it will be bigger than a 2 bed semi!
i know i go on about it but what about the poor people!!!! in aus they all eat KFC and hungry jacks or maccers as they don't know how to cook....

the Australian dream is it dead?????
not if your a dairy farmer it doesn't seem to be!!!!!!
what's in a loaf anyway? bit of flour and water how come it cost so much we are being sucked in....
oh another aussie thing...why is there denial that it is cold in the winter!!!! i visit peoples homes and they are freezing...with blue lips and fingers.....
you can get cheaper houses here that is true.....my house would cost 700k pounds in UK....it was $290k three years ago...
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

cresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't need to be in the "burbs" for work then there is plenty of cheapish land still around if you know where to look. You can buy a 5 acre block and hour and a half North of Brisbane, 1 Hour from Sunshine Coast, an hour and a half from Hervey Bay and Rainbow beach 45 minutes away for the sum of 100K. It might not be where you want to spend your twilight years, but a foot on the property ladder. A 4 bedroom house with ensuite & double garage would set you back a further 150K move in. There's no need to mortgage yourself to the hilt giving yourself an ulcer into the bargain. We have friends in Brissie that we can visit any time and refer to each other's places as our holiday homes
I might not have sea views but I do have views of the Mary Valley, Roos & wallabies that play in the back yard birds and a possum that I can hand feed. In fact we live further away from the beach than we ever did in the UK. I love it.

Where is it? Well it's a little "backwater" 20 minutes North of the nearest "City" which is being developed at a great rate of knots.Plenty of work for tradies who don't want the rough and tumble of major cities.

Deb
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anna marie shlyshen
Already have a house in Scotland so don't need another one the point I am trying tom make is that Oz is not as affordable as everyone is led to believe.
Well that's different. If you were serious about Australia you would sell your house in the UK and get a decent place in Brisbane. What you are in fact saying is that it is impossible to buy a second house in Brisbane, which is entirely different.

I'm sure lots of people would like to be in the position where they could only just afford to buy two houses, etc.

But I agree with your other point. Australian wage/house price ratio is the worst in the world.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta's conscience
If you don't need to be in the "burbs" for work then there is plenty of cheapish land still around if you know where to look. You can buy a 5 acre block and hour and a half North of Brisbane, 1 Hour from Sunshine Coast, an hour and a half from Hervey Bay and Rainbow beach 45 minutes away for the sum of 100K. It might not be where you want to spend your twilight years, but a foot on the property ladder. A 4 bedroom house with ensuite & double garage would set you back a further 150K move in. There's no need to mortgage yourself to the hilt giving yourself an ulcer into the bargain. We have friends in Brissie that we can visit any time and refer to each other's places as our holiday homes
I might not have sea views but I do have views of the Mary Valley, Roos & wallabies that play in the back yard birds and a possum that I can hand feed. In fact we live further away from the beach than we ever did in the UK. I love it.

Where is it? Well it's a little "backwater" 20 minutes North of the nearest "City" which is being developed at a great rate of knots.Plenty of work for tradies who don't want the rough and tumble of major cities.

Deb
A quarter of a million quid is still a pretty big mortgage by most people's standards though, isn't it? You'd be looking at monthly repayments of about £1400!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
A quarter of a million quid is still a pretty big mortgage by most people's standards though, isn't it? You'd be looking at monthly repayments of about £1400!
cheap by the standard of the day, and some pay that in rent.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
First, and this may be just me getting my back up - but 'backwaterish' is probably not the term I would have used!! Lots of people like what these places have to offer - just because they are far away from each other doesn't make them backwaters! There are lots of people who actually move to these areas specifically because they are quieter and a bit out of the way - these towns provide great places for retirement or for people to raise their kids out of the more congested city areas! I myuself was raised in Cundletown/Taree and feel very lucky to have grown up in such a great area.

I can also see why some people don't like it - especially English people - because you guys are so used to being near to everything/everyone all the time. I feel very clausterophobic in England and laugh when people talk of the the 'garden' county - I live in Kent and I have never been anywhere thats more than 500 yards from a road or house!!!

I could comment on this forever really - my parents lived in a great place, I had my own boat from the age oe 12 and spent weekends out on the water or surfing/fishing with my mates! We would take our boats and go on weekend camping trips and generally made our own fun! I have never thought of it as backwaterish - just different (but definitely different in a good way to my current live in a box, commute to work, spend all my money on bills and train fares lifestyle (actually my current lifestyle is nothign like that - but thats how most of my english friends seem to live))

Second - its not limited to NSW - Generally, Australia has some large conurbations (my word of the day ' conurbations'), but then lots of open space between towns!

You state that's why people have moved to Byron/Gold Coast etc. But keep in mind that apart from the Gold Coast/Brisbane/Sunshine Coast strip (which has long been cited as 'over-developed') there is no stretch of coast in Qld which has similar 'non-backwaterish' feel to it! North ot Maroochy there really isn't much except 5000 miles of open road with a few moderately sized towns every 500 miles (Bundaberg, Gladstone, Townsville et al).

I think its a bit of a perception thing - I have grown up miles from a major city, had my family live thousands of miles apart etc. Put an English person 100 miles from the nearest major city and they think they're in the middle of nowhere!!

This is repeated in pretty much all states.

Hope this doesn't offend!!??

A
No. That's OK. Some of the best times I had in Australia were in fact not far from Taree.

All I have done is noticed other people's complaints about alot of the NSW coast which appear out of proportion to a status I feel it should enjoy.

Alot of international tourists do seem to shoot through though.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 20th 2007 at 11:56 am.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is a good point to make, and I have argued it before. For too long, the inequality between British and "colonial" housing prices offered the average British bloke a short-cut to paying the mortgage off. He could cut maybe 10 - 15 years off his mortgage or maybe even get rid of it altogether. This happened in Australia and to a lesser degree Canada.

Things have changed, and people need to get used to it. Houses in Australia and Canada are still better value than their British equivalents because while they cost the same per average "unit" they are bigger and generally have more land. For now - but this will change too.

What they mean is, they can't afford a four bedroom McMansion with a swimming pool and a view of the beach. LIke you said, they wouldn't evert get that in Slough, so why should they expect it in WA? Australia isn't a registered charity.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:27 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

A quarter of a million is a pretty hefty mortgage - but what can you get fro £250,000 in the UK anyway!?? Nothing in London thats any bigger than a box with a toilet!

In the south east (where I am living) 2 bed TINY TINY apartments and semi's cost about that!! You can go a little cheaper - but whatver you save on the purchase price you would have to spend making the place habitable! Then you would have to live with no parking (I pay £350 a year just for a parking space) and Council tax bill for me is around £1300 - thats nearing $4000!!!!!!!!! -

Atleast if you pay that sort of money somewhere within an hour or so of Brisbane you can have a house woth enough room to swing a cat (plus a nice outlook and a better lifestyle). PLus 5 acres for the kids to run around on.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:09 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Things have changed, and people need to get used to it.
I'd rather have a good cry about it and blame it on some imaginary third party with evil intent that sold me a pipedream...

Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

A quarter of a million is a pretty hefty mortgage - but what can you get fro £250,000 in the UK anyway!??
Out of the big cities you could get quite a decent house with £250,000 or less.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

A quarter of a million is a pretty hefty mortgage - but what can you get fro £250,000 in the UK anyway!?? Nothing in London thats any bigger than a box with a toilet!

In the south east (where I am living) 2 bed TINY TINY apartments and semi's cost about that!! You can go a little cheaper - but whatver you save on the purchase price you would have to spend making the place habitable! Then you would have to live with no parking (I pay £350 a year just for a parking space) and Council tax bill for me is around £1300 - thats nearing $4000!!!!!!!!! -

Atleast if you pay that sort of money somewhere within an hour or so of Brisbane you can have a house woth enough room to swing a cat (plus a nice outlook and a better lifestyle). PLus 5 acres for the kids to run around on.
Sure - I agree. I made the point about better value in Australia a few posts ago. I know how much my house is worth in the SE and I wouldn't pay this for it!

With full consideration of the outrageous wage/house price ratio in Australia, I can still get better value for my £/$ there than in the UK. Like Laura writes in the above post = £250,000 will get you a decent house if you go just 30kms out of the major cities, and much closer if you're looking at some of the smaller cities.

re. British house sizes and felines: It depends if you swing the cat by the end of its tail or the top of it.......

Last edited by Tableland; Jul 20th 2007 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:46 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure - I agree. I made the point about better value in Australia a few posts ago. I know how much my house is worth in the SE and I wouldn't pay this for it!

With full consideration of the outrageous wage/house price ratio in Australia, I can still get better value for my £/$ there than in the UK. Like Laura writes in the above post = £250,000 will get you a decent house if you go just 30kms out of the major cities, and much closer if you're looking at some of the smaller cities.

re. British house sizes and felines: It depends if you swing the cat by the end of its tail or the top of it.......
I understand what you are saying about prices further out from the cities.

Where I live (Canterbury) developments and older houses on the EDGE of the town start at around £200,000 for a half decent 2 bedder. In order to gata a'family' home you need to go above that!

In contrast, my brother just bought (about 4 montsh ago) a house forequivalent value in Newcaslte (NSW) - its similarly located (about 15 mins drive from the town/city centre) and for $500,000 (About £200,000) he got 5 bedrooms plus study, 3 living areas, 3 bathrooms, 650 sq m block (room for the pool) three car garage and workshop with EVERYTHING done (fencing, landscaping, outdoor entertaining area etc).

If I were to go to an agent in Kent and say I want a 5 bed, 3 bathroom house with 3 car garage my cheque would have to say MILLIONS rather than hundreds of thousands!!

In the UK I feel like you pay a lot and get very little - I don't want to live in a shoe box forever
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where I live (Canterbury) developments and older houses on the EDGE of the town start at around £200,000 for a half decent 2 bedder. In order to gata a'family' home you need to go above that!

In contrast, my brother just bought (about 4 montsh ago) a house forequivalent value in Newcaslte (NSW) - its similarly located (about 15 mins drive from the town/city centre) and for $500,000 (About £200,000) he got 5 bedrooms plus study, 3 living areas, 3 bathrooms, 650 sq m block (room for the pool) three car garage and workshop with EVERYTHING done (fencing, landscaping, outdoor entertaining area etc).

If I were to go to an agent in Kent and say I want a 5 bed, 3 bathroom house with 3 car garage my cheque would have to say MILLIONS rather than hundreds of thousands!!

In the UK I feel like you pay a lot and get very little - I don't want to live in a shoe box forever
There's no doubt you get better value.

Some would say aussie houses aren't as well built - but they're not going to fall down overnight, and some new English houses aren't exactlybuilt like Victorian homes.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:01 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There's no doubt you get better value.

Some would say aussie houses aren't as well built - but they're not going to fall down overnight, and some new English houses aren't exactlybuilt like Victorian homes.

Good point, though of course land rises in value here and houses generally fall (or have done historically) in value.

Last edited by temptininnit; Jul 20th 2007 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Andy

My 30kms out of town comment was about Aus - not sure if I made that clear though. I totally agree with your assessment of UK prices. The way I look at it is that most 'ordinary' folk seem to be talking about spending about $350,000 - $500,000 on properties in either country. When you look at what this will buy you in say Berkshire, and then in say the Melbourne area, you will see that Australia offers better value.

The other day online I found a bungalow for sale in a village in the SE. It had a dining room, sitting room, kitchen, bathroom and two bedrooms. The garden was 12 metres long. The cost was $655,000.

Last edited by Tableland; Jul 21st 2007 at 9:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.