Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Defence Security Clearance (ADSC)

Australian Defence Security Clearance (ADSC)

Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default Australian Defence Security Clearance (ADSC)

Is permanent residence adequate to get Australian Defence Security Clearance (ADSC)? Or is Australian citizenship a must?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australian Defence Security Clearance (ADSC)

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
Is permanent residence adequate to get Australian Defence Security Clearance (ADSC)? Or is Australian citizenship a must?
The Australian Submarine Corporation is specific that it requires Citizenship or, to be eligible:

http://www.asc.com.au/aspx/careers_w...australia.aspx

Security clearance

Most positions within our company require applicants to be eligible for an Australian Defence Security Clearance (ADSC). This is a standard requirement applicable to all Australian defence companies.

To be eligible for an ADSC, you must meet the criteria set by the Commonwealth Defence Security Agency. This includes the requirement to be an Australian citizen, or be eligible for citizenship.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship.

If you want to work in that arena, you're going to need to accept that you can't for the first 4 years in all likelihood (depending on when you landed). There will be exceptions, but they are few and far between.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NikiL
Citizenship.

If you want to work in that arena, you're going to need to accept that you can't for the first 4 years in all likelihood (depending on when you landed). There will be exceptions, but they are few and far between.
Nikil,

Yes, it would seem so but, if you go to the ASC website they are seeking employees from overseas....

Working in Australia

We are committed to finding the best employees from across the world, as well as locally and nationally.

We already boast a highly diverse and skilled workforce with many of our employees from other countries around the world. Why not come and join us?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JR230898
Nikil,

Yes, it would seem so but, if you go to the ASC website they are seeking employees from overseas....

Working in Australia

We are committed to finding the best employees from across the world, as well as locally and nationally.

We already boast a highly diverse and skilled workforce with many of our employees from other countries around the world. Why not come and join us?
Some agencies/departments are able to enact a waiver allowing security clearance to a non-citizen. However it takes much longer, and requires a lot more paperwork because of more detailed checks overseas.
Would require a discussion with the department or agency concerned
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your replies. So it seems the citizenship criteria can be waived.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Both my OH and I come from security cleared backgrounds and it was something we looked into a lot before we moved as we both wanted to stay in Defence.

Overseas clearance checks take several (3+) months from an easy country - and can take 12 months plus from what is deemed a high risk country, something that would be viewed as a factor in whether you chose to offer the job to a certain individual.

While they are able to employ overseas citizens, it depends very much on what the role is and the level of clearance required. The assumption should not be made that you can walk into a security cleared role as an overseas citizen.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Both my OH and I come from security cleared backgrounds and it was something we looked into a lot before we moved as we both wanted to stay in Defence.

Overseas clearance checks take several (3+) months from an easy country - and can take 12 months plus from what is deemed a high risk country, something that would be viewed as a factor in whether you chose to offer the job to a certain individual.

While they are able to employ overseas citizens, it depends very much on what the role is and the level of clearance required. The assumption should not be made that you can walk into a security cleared role as an overseas citizen.
I guess it depends on the level of clearance required: http://www.htr.com.au/index.php?opti...d=12&Itemid=24
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I guess it depends on the level of clearance required: http://www.htr.com.au/index.php?opti...d=12&Itemid=24
You've answered your own question - the very first sentence states

In order to obtain an Australian Defence Security Clearance, you need to be an Australian citizen and have traceable history of 5-10+ years depending on the level of clearance you are applying for

Its a pretty normal requirement even for basic SC in any country.

The requirement can be waived, but it tends to be (from my understanding) the citizenship qualification that can be waived under exceptional circumstances where the individual has a skill set that brings specific enhancements to the required arena. That has to go through legal channels and is not a guaranteed result.

Accept it, the chances are that if you want to remain in an SC environment the likelihood is that it isn't going to happen until you can qualify for citizenship - its one of the hiccups that you live with when you choose to emigrate.

Good luck to you proving me wrong, but I don't think you will.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You've answered your own question - the very first sentence states

In order to obtain an Australian Defence Security Clearance, you need to be an Australian citizen and have traceable history of 5-10+ years depending on the level of clearance you are applying for

Its a pretty normal requirement even for basic SC in any country.

The requirement can be waived, but it tends to be (from my understanding) the citizenship qualification that can be waived under exceptional circumstances where the individual has a skill set that brings specific enhancements to the required arena. That has to go through legal channels and is not a guaranteed result.

Accept it, the chances are that if you want to remain in an SC environment the likelihood is that it isn't going to happen until you can qualify for citizenship - its one of the hiccups that you live with when you choose to emigrate.

Good luck to you proving me wrong, but I don't think you will.
That's correct; in order for the security services to consider a waiver the department/agency has to demnstrate why it needs the waiver - and the usual issue here is that they have to prove the person for whom they are sekeing the waiver holds a skill set that justifies that path.
12 months is the timeline that I've heard quoted for someone from the UK, with an easily checkable background - and that's for a relatively low level of clearace.
Like NikiL, I'm not going to say it would be impossible, but its certainly not something you should bank on being able to do in order to get a certain position. Very much the exception rather than the rule.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

I have to wait another 3 years 10 months for my citizenship
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

I have to wait another 3 years 10 months for my citizenship
Do you currently have Permanent Residency?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:54 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to be cleared to SC(DV). As I'm not currently an Australian citizen that counts for very little and why would it?. I'm not allowed to work on DIAC systems, let alone military.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Dec 28th 2009 at 6:00 am.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

My question regarding Permanent Residency was because, as a PR you can make application to join the ADF, both Full Time and Part Time.

My understanding is that, after a 3mth probation period, Citizenship is available and required....and no, I am not in Recruiting.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JR230898
My question regarding Permanent Residency was because, as a PR you can make application to join the ADF, both Full Time and Part Time.

My understanding is that, after a 3mth probation period, Citizenship is available and required....and no, I am not in Recruiting.
As far as I read it, you have to agree to apply for citizenship after 3 months (or six if with the Reserves). That does not guarantee approval of citizenship though. It's not necessarily available but it is required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.