Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Curry Houses

Australian Curry Houses

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road
Default Australian Curry Houses

Why cant they make a decent curry in Australia?

Am I the only one, but have been to many takeaway curry house ‘chains’ (you know the ones I mean), walk in, look at the stainless steel counter (the ones with the lighting effects that makes everything look appetising, even though its been there for three days).

The vindaloo curry looks bright red and extremely hot, so plump for the mystery meat Madras (starting to get old you know), take food home and VOILA - beefy stew with rice, I have had spicier chilled M&S casseroles than any curry in Oz.

Any recommendations on decent Indian restaurants/Takeaways in any state in Oz?

(n.b. this does not apply to Chinese food, geez - they know how to make the use of their chillies!)

UM
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Ahhh too true.

Had a "curry" at the place on the boardwalk, south bank in Brisbane two weeks ago. Brother ordered Madras, 5 yr old son wanted korma.

Food turned up and my son started to cry. Poor little sod was eating some non descript stew with a load of chilli in it. Chef assured me it was the korma. All I can say is I'm glad little 'un was out of nappies. Just to put it in perspective he'll eat schezuan, mildish madras and thai jungle curries so when he says it's hot, I believe him.

Truly awful, the worst I've had anywhere in the world. I've been advised theat curry as western europeans know it is just no good.

Unless anyone knows better (Perth please).....

Cheers
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:42 pm
earlswood

I think we went to the same place 8 weeks ago and had a fantastic meal. You must of had a different chef to us.

Earlswood

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:40 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default curry

Originally posted by Nibbs
Ahhh too true.

Had a "curry" at the place on the boardwalk, south bank in Brisbane two weeks ago. Brother ordered Madras, 5 yr old son wanted korma.

Food turned up and my son started to cry. Poor little sod was eating some non descript stew with a load of chilli in it. Chef assured me it was the korma. All I can say is I'm glad little 'un was out of nappies. Just to put it in perspective he'll eat schezuan, mildish madras and thai jungle curries so when he says it's hot, I believe him.

Truly awful, the worst I've had anywhere in the world. I've been advised theat curry as western europeans know it is just no good.

Unless anyone knows better (Perth please).....

Sorry to dissapoint you, after 2 years in Perth we've tried about 15 different "Indian restaurants" The curries range from poor casserole type dishes to awful powdery things, in at least 3 places we couldn't even eat the food (and I eat anything). There are 2 in Joondalup which are the best of the lot, Mr India and Krishna Palace, but even then I wouldn't rush there. Next try is Chutney Marys, newish in city....I live in hope!!

Cheers
Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:15 am
dazuk

not only can you not get a decent curry in oz, u cannot smoke in them!!! Surely this takes away one of the essential ingriedients of a great curry!!!

Aussie laws ban smoking in restaurants, what a nanny state

Old Jul 4th 2003, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Curry in OZ is generally stew with a teaspoon of curry powder.
New curry house here is run by the owners of McDonalds

However:-
I have posted this before , Hathi Indian Restaurant next to Sizzler in Maroochydore, run by Indian, cooked by Indians, Tandoori Ovens etc. Decor is pretty awful, food is delicious, always packed out with Pommies and the very rare indian you get here.

New Thai in Buderim is also very good, Thai Frenzy, right on the top of Buderim, food is so fresh you feel they just cooked it just for you, very nice and a lot lighter than Indian.

Going there myself tonight if you fancy seeing the real live me.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Curry Houses

[QUOTE]Originally posted by unrefined_mind
Why cant they make a decent curry in Australia?

Hubbie and I went to local curry house a few weeks ago, he ordered a Madras - waiter asked "would you like it very mild, mild, medium or hot"????
Old Jul 4th 2003, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot understand why you people are even thinking about emigrating when all you do is moan about how you can't get British things in Australia.

For F***'s sake - Australia is a different country! Why does everybody want to recreate British culture and then moan when they can't find it ? You need to learn to adapt. If you cannot do that then you shouldn't even be thinking about emigrating.

Curry is a British dish and, unlike other British dishes such as Fish and Chips, it hasn't really caught on in Australia.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Typical ozzie meals if my husbands OZ rellies are anything to go by.

Roast with lots of veg.

Mince in spaghetti, meatloaf, rissoles etc.

Roast Chook as they call it.

Snags and mash.

Going out KFC Maccas Pizza Big rooter or for the rich/trendy asian food esecially Thai which is nice light and usualy very fresh tasting. Ultra trendy is white plate, small odd meat portion covered in fruit sauce garnished with sprig of herb and a blob of mashed potato which is then baked. UGH at $30 a plate.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 6:57 am
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by etlniwd
I cannot understand why you people are even thinking about emigrating when all you do is moan about how you can't get British things in Australia.

For F***'s sake - Australia is a different country! Why does everybody want to recreate British culture and then moan when they can't find it ? You need to learn to adapt. If you cannot do that then you shouldn't even be thinking about emigrating.

Curry is a British dish and, unlike other British dishes such as Fish and Chips, it hasn't really caught on in Australia.
Those living in Aus who post here do so because their head is in a different place to their bodies. Most likely they will be part of the 50% who emigrate from Australia.

Old Jul 4th 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Curry is DEF not a British dish, it's from India even I know that and I won't touch it with a barge pole let alone eat it.

You'll be telling us next that Chinesse meals are from Brum ( I don't eat those either).
Old Jul 4th 2003, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

KP is right, how on earth can curry be British?

Yes, curry dishes are properly more popular in UK than Australia.

But try explaining that it is an English dish to an Indian, Bangladeshi or a Thai person - they wont be best pleased with such an uneducated comment.

UM
Old Jul 4th 2003, 8:40 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Just in case you havn't noticed, the world has changed over the last 50 years, especially regarding cuisine. I grew up eating stews, roast dinners and fried breakfasts. I now expect to be able to eat dishes from all over the world, anywhere in the world. I especially like a good curry, and if I can't find a good curry house I will endeavour to make my own.
You sound like you are the one that's moaning, is it because you have a less sophisticated palete and don't appreciate the finer things in life?

Slater

Curry &
Old Jul 4th 2003, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by unrefined_mind
KP is right, how on earth can curry be British?

Yes, curry dishes are properly more popular in UK than Australia.

But try explaining that it is an English dish to an Indian, Bangladeshi or a Thai person - they wont be best pleased with such an uneducated comment.

UM
Sorry mate but you are the uneducated one. Most people in India would have no idea what you were talking about if you asked them to cook you a 'Curry'. The 'Curries' that are served in 'Indian' restaurants in Britain are dishes concocted for the British and served by Bangladeshis. You will be hard pressed to find any of this food in India, Bangladesh, or Thailand. Have you ever been there ?

The British national dish is now recognised as Chicken Tikka Masala. This dish was invented by the British Bangladeshis some years ago. Later came the Balti which was devised in Birmingham.

Next you'll be telling us that Chicken Chop Suey with Cashew Nuts is Chinese. Yeah right.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Curry is DEF not a British dish, it's from India even I know that and I won't touch it with a barge pole let alone eat it.

You'll be telling us next that Chinesse meals are from Brum ( I don't eat those either).
You don't know what you're missing then!.
From what I have heard from Indians visiting the UK, the 'curry' served ther is a far cry from the authentic stuff dished out in India (or in Dubai, where I live, for that matter). And the variety of Indian cuisine is mind boggling - South Indian, North Indian, East Indian, Mughlai, Goan, etc etc.

Cheers
Nina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.