Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Crime Statistics

Australian Crime Statistics

Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

chriskitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Crime Statistics

I am curious to know why the crime rate in Australia is so high, When reading our newspapers reporting on an 80% rise in violent crime in the U.K. they state that the only country you are more likely to be attacked in is Australia. Are these figures correct and if so Why ! It seems to go against everything that I picture Australia to be.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:03 pm
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Australian Crime Statistics

Originally Posted by chriskitch
I am curious to know why the crime rate in Australia is so high, When reading our newspapers reporting on an 80% rise in violent crime in the U.K. they state that the only country you are more likely to be attacked in is Australia. Are these figures correct and if so Why ! It seems to go against everything that I picture Australia to be.
What crime~in Oz !!!!Dont ya watch blue heelers ~only a small place and its responsible for half Australias crime wave
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Because we are a real country with real people, westernised society despite being nearer to asia, so we have all the same problems as Europe or USA.

Last edited by jad n rich; Sep 27th 2004 at 9:18 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:50 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Are these figures correct and if so Why ! It seems to go against everything that I picture Australia to be.
'cause people are people, or don't you expect Australia to have crims and loons too??
One thing to remember too, the unemployment figures are higher here, so perhaps that is one of the reasons for some crime being a tiny bit higher. It's around 7. something percent I believe, where the Uk is 3. something % ( I believe)

Also gambling debts are quite high in this country, this could lead to "attacks" and crime etc. Million and one reasons for it.

There also seems to be quite a lot of domestic violence here, ie some loon of a husband, or son holding his family with a gun etc.. so that could even push up the figures to this " you're more likely to be attacked" . It really depends how they get those figures. They may be including domestic violence in those "attacking" figures too.

I don't understand why you think Australia should be any different to any other country when it comes to some crimes.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 28th 2004 at 1:55 am.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:55 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Crime may be less in Ramsey Street but elsewhere not much difference between UK and Oz I suspect.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:48 am
ABCDiamond

Unemployment rates

AUSTRALIA
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument
August 2004
* EMPLOYMENT increased to 9,663,600
* UNEMPLOYMENT increased to 576,400
* UNEMPLOYMENT RATE remained at 5.6% or 5.7% Seasonally Adjusted

UK
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12
Labour market statistics published on 15 September 2004.
The unemployment rate fell slightly to 4.7 per cent, from 4.8 per cent the previous quarter. The number of unemployed people fell by 16,000 to reach 1.41 million

Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:09 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Unemployment rates

AUSTRALIA
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument
August 2004
* EMPLOYMENT increased to 9,663,600
* UNEMPLOYMENT increased to 576,400
* UNEMPLOYMENT RATE remained at 5.6% or 5.7% Seasonally Adjusted

UK
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12
Labour market statistics published on 15 September 2004.
The unemployment rate fell slightly to 4.7 per cent, from 4.8 per cent the previous quarter. The number of unemployed people fell by 16,000 to reach 1.41 million
14/7/2004

The latest Labour Market Statistics for Wales show the unemployment rate in Wales is below the UK average and the claimant count rate falling to its lowest level since February 1975.

The latest figures for the quarter to May 2004 show the unemployment rate in Wales is 4.6% compared with 4.8% for the UK as a wholee and that employment in Wales has risen by 5,000 over the year to the three months ending in May and by 89,000 since the same period in 2002.

The claimant count rate fell to 3% in June, its lowest level since February 1975.

Wales has an employment rate higher than all the EU countries outside the UK except for Denmark, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Claimant count unemployment fell in all Welsh local authorities apart from Blaenau Gwent and Caerphilly over the year

september figures it's 4.6 for us..just blowing a myth away at the same time.

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 28th 2004 at 3:11 am.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:36 am
ABCDiamond

Sydney's northern beaches continued to record Australia's lowest unemployment rate, at just 2.8 per cent.

Other regions with low unemployment rates included:
the Murray-Murrumbidgee region of NSW 3.8 per cent
the Goulburn-Ovens-Murray region of Victoria 4.0 per cent
Sydney's eastern suburbs 4.0 per cent
southern and eastern South Australia 0.5 per cent
and the ACT 4.1 per cent

Only one region in Australia still has an unemployment rate above 10 per cent, new figures show.

The region with the highest rate was the Wide Bay-Burnett area of Queensland, which fell 3.2 percentage points to 11.8 per cent - the only region remaining in double figures.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...616322749.html

It all varies all over the place

Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:43 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I find most of the unemployment stats arent worth the paper they are written on. When I used to work for the CES (pre-Centrelink days), the unemployment when up and down with the amount of new schemes and different funding the Government of the Day could invent.

Put people on a "Back to work Scheme" for 6 weeks, call their dole something different for the time, and BOOM!! Another off the Dole....

Put someone on a course for 8 weeks, call their dole something else for the time and again....BOOM!! Another off the Dole.....

I dare say they do it in the UK and loads of other places....especially in the run up to an election.....