Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Computer Society

Australian Computer Society

Old Mar 26th 2006, 5:25 pm
Chris Thomas

christhomas99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Australian Computer Society

has anyone out there had to have their skills assessed by the Australian Computer Society? If so what does it entail no doubt it will include relieving us of even more money!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 5:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Computer Society

Originally Posted by christhomas99
has anyone out there had to have their skills assessed by the Australian Computer Society? If so what does it entail no doubt it will include relieving us of even more money!
have you looked at the guidelines at http://www.acs.org.au ?
Old Mar 26th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I did about 6 yrs ago. Was straightforward, just lots of paper-gathering from places I had work(yearly appraisals etc) and declarations. Took around 1 yr though.

As the other poster says, see their web site for full details.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 6:49 pm
Chris Thomas

Angry Re: Australian Computer Society

Originally Posted by JAJ
have you looked at the guidelines at http://www.acs.org.au ?
Cheers,

I'm currently an IT manager within a large Manufacturing plant, had just over 5 years in the job, project managed some major software installations, e-storefront, and currently in the throws of replacing the companies telecommunications systems, this along with managing the network and servers and training staff, and now I've been told that we have to hang on until Jan next year before we can apply for a visa because I have to have 6 years experience before I can have my ability assessed by the ACS...I mean I know people with IT degrees and you wouldn't think they had 1 brain cell never mind anything else! but you only need 4 years experience it's great isn't it. I was just seeing if there was some way around it so that I could apply earlier.

Chris
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Yes, I did this last year. It took around 8 weeks from submitting the forms to the ACS for them to provide the assessment letter back.

It is a straightforward process providing you can get detailed references about your experience. I found that some companies I had worked for in the UK did not want to give detailed references about my actual responsibilities and activities - they wanted to simply say that I worked there as their HR policy generally excludes them from giving detailed references. Once I explained that the reference was for a visa application, most companies provided the required detail. This was the only hard thing about the application.

If you have a degree, you need to get hold of your course transctipts if you have not got them. This took a few weeks from my University.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

I went through this a couple of years ago and found it quite straight forward. The only problem was the paper gathering and the fact that my boss had signed the reference but hadn't dated it. This added a couple of weeks onto the process.
I was fortunate that I had just moved into my seventh year of employment as I don't have a degree either.
Every application has it's trying moments and I am sure you will find a couple more.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:35 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
I went through this a couple of years ago and found it quite straight forward. The only problem was the paper gathering and the fact that my boss had signed the reference but hadn't dated it. This added a couple of weeks onto the process.
I was fortunate that I had just moved into my seventh year of employment as I don't have a degree either.
Every application has it's trying moments and I am sure you will find a couple more.
Have you the alternative option of obtaining British Computer Society (BCS) membership?
I was in a similar boat a couple of years back, having worked in IT for a while but not been formally qualified.
I weighed up the relative complexities of BCS and ACS applications and opted for the former.
From what I recall I had to obtain employer references and attend an interview with a bunch of academics. I came out of the latter feeling doomed as the conversation seemed to be headed towards - go and do this and this basic IT course and come back when you've passed. I was therefore somewhat surprised to be granted membership. Maybe their quota was down that month.
The whole process took a few months.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:33 am
Chris Thomas

Originally Posted by bal56
Have you the alternative option of obtaining British Computer Society (BCS) membership?
I was in a similar boat a couple of years back, having worked in IT for a while but not been formally qualified.
I weighed up the relative complexities of BCS and ACS applications and opted for the former.
From what I recall I had to obtain employer references and attend an interview with a bunch of academics. I came out of the latter feeling doomed as the conversation seemed to be headed towards - go and do this and this basic IT course and come back when you've passed. I was therefore somewhat surprised to be granted membership. Maybe their quota was down that month.
The whole process took a few months.
Thought of that thanks, but they will only now accept the ACS as validation.

Chris
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

fajita is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought of that thanks, but they will only now accept the ACS as validation.

Chris
I underwent the assessment last year- it took about 8 weeks. The largest problem I had was that the RPL assessment requires you to prove that you have accomplished in your working career all the major topics covered in an Australian IT degree (this evidence can require some fairly wordy explanations!), and if you're a programmer you need to include code samples with special mention of the bits you think are especially good. Best advice is to make sure you get the latest docs from their web site and read them thoroughly- and the more (relevant) supporting documentation(certificates/testimonies/references etc) you can provide the better. BTW I also found that some previous employers wouldn't provide references but in this case a contract schedule and statutory declaration sufficed. Good luck!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 11:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fajita
I underwent the assessment last year- it took about 8 weeks. The largest problem I had was that the RPL assessment requires you to prove that you have accomplished in your working career all the major topics covered in an Australian IT degree
Normally they expect the equivalent of an IT diploma.

Work experience is 8 years for RPL, they reduce to 6 if you have any formal qualifications equivalent to Australian diploma, even if not in IT.

And ACS do like to see *professional* IT experience. Computer Support Technician is a separate occupation, not assessed by ACS.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

jamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the rough

Hi Chris

I have done quite a lot of research on this and am just about to start work on preparing my RPL for the ACS - unfortunately BCS membership now means nothing to the ACS..

I am 41 and an IT Manager/Project Manager type in global oil and gas business and about 18 years experience in IT now - also just managed to get STNI sponsorship for Melbourne through Victoria government (although its Perth I wanted originally!) as various IT skills are on the MODL list

Anyway, there is a website http://rplhelp.50webs.com/ that gives an example of a successful RPL submission and some useful advise - costs about £20 or so. Not for copying but gives you a feel on what you need to think about for your own experiences..

Good luck!

Cheers

James

http://rplhelp.50webs.com/
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:23 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

I'm currently an IT manager within a large Manufacturing plant, had just over 5 years in the job, project managed some major software installations, e-storefront, and currently in the throws of replacing the companies telecommunications systems, this along with managing the network and servers and training staff, and now I've been told that we have to hang on until Jan next year before we can apply for a visa because I have to have 6 years experience before I can have my ability assessed by the ACS...I mean I know people with IT degrees and you wouldn't think they had 1 brain cell never mind anything else! but you only need 4 years experience it's great isn't it. I was just seeing if there was some way around it so that I could apply earlier.

Chris

I've got a degree and I've counted at least 3 brain cells reflecting light back out through my ear.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:28 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesegrant
Hi Chris

I have done quite a lot of research on this and am just about to start work on preparing my RPL for the ACS - unfortunately BCS membership now means nothing to the ACS..

I am 41 and an IT Manager/Project Manager type in global oil and gas business and about 18 years experience in IT now - also just managed to get STNI sponsorship for Melbourne through Victoria government (although its Perth I wanted originally!) as various IT skills are on the MODL list

Anyway, there is a website http://rplhelp.50webs.com/ that gives an example of a successful RPL submission and some useful advise - costs about £20 or so. Not for copying but gives you a feel on what you need to think about for your own experiences..

Good luck!

Cheers

James

http://rplhelp.50webs.com/
Hi James, well done on getting your STNI, I've pmd a question to you.

Gill
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:56 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Yes of course you need to pay money! You also need to supply Degree Certificates, transcripts and work references to prove your experience. Youll need to get them copied and certified as copies by a lawyer or solictor.
They took quite a while to process our application, nearly 8 weeks if I remember rightly.
The main problem we had with the ACS was that we submitted our application too early. We didnt realise you needed a degree in IT to qualify with 4 years exprerience. Because my wifes qualification was a Post Grad degree they said we needed to have 6 year experience so we had to apply 3months later, oh well we got there eventually!
Good luck with your application..
Old Apr 4th 2006, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I mean I know people with IT degrees and you wouldn't think they had 1 brain cell never mind anything else! but you only need 4 years experience it's great isn't it. I was just seeing if there was some way around it so that I could apply earlier.
Geez thanks. I used to think I had 2 brain cells who just keep talking to each other. Now I know I haven't even got one!

Being an IT manager, I would've assumed you had more than enough brain cells to read and understand the guidelines set by ACS.

And did I ever mention there are IT managers (with or without an IT degree/diploma) with a lot more experience on the job who are much humbler than yourself and just follow the rules of the game?

Just to rub it in while I'm here representing a household with with two degrees in computer science and engineering, oh, and not one brain cell between hubby and me - it was a breeze getting ACS assessment with a degree in IT, relevant work experience, and references.

Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Apr 4th 2006 at 10:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.