Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Citizenship Reforms

Australian Citizenship Reforms

Old Jul 8th 2004, 2:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Citizenship Reforms

Minister Hardgrave has just announced a range of intended reforms to the Citizenship Act. Changes include the following:

- relief for people born overseas to former Australian citizens
- removal of the age limit for registration as an Australian citizen by descent
- extension of resumption provisions to many people who renounced Aus citizenship to retain another (this was a particular problem with the Maltese Australians, before Malta changed its laws in February 2000).
- more flexibility on the residence requirement where there is previous residence on a temp visa in Australia

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/cam/...a04/h04128.htm

We'll need to see the draft Bill to know the exact scope, and with an election coming up there's always the chance it may have to be re-introduced later on. However, with Opposition support likely, the chances of the legislation passing are good.

Jeremy
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:50 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

For me interesting about the potential to count temp residence. How are activities beneficial to Australia defined? I guess being an IT support type does not count.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:43 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian Citizenship Reforms

Originally posted by JAJ
Minister Hardgrave has just announced a range of intended reforms to the Citizenship Act. Changes include the following:

- relief for people born overseas to former Australian citizens
- removal of the age limit for registration as an Australian citizen by descent
- extension of resumption provisions to many people who renounced Aus citizenship to retain another (this was a particular problem with the Maltese Australians, before Malta changed its laws in February 2000).
- more flexibility on the residence requirement where there is previous residence on a temp visa in Australia

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/cam/...a04/h04128.htm

We'll need to see the draft Bill to know the exact scope, and with an election coming up there's always the chance it may have to be re-introduced later on. However, with Opposition support likely, the chances of the legislation passing are good.

Jeremy
I have just read all that and I just want someone else to confirm that my understanding is correct

I am on a spouse temp visa so I curently can not get PR until I have been on temp via for 2 years then I have PR for 2 years then I can apply for citizenship.

If I am reading this correct and this bill gets passes some of or all of the time requirements may be scrapped, Ie I could apply for citizenship straight away???

Am I getting this right??

Cheers
Kala
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

JAJ
I read it as 12 months before a PR qualifies for citizenships. Is that correct?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding - and we'll have to see the legislation to be sure - is that in some cases, it will be possible to apply for citizenship 12 months after PR (rather than 2 years) if you have previously been on a temporary visa in Australia.

Jeremy

Originally posted by debsy
JAJ
I read it as 12 months before a PR qualifies for citizenships. Is that correct?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:41 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by JAJ
My understanding - and we'll have to see the legislation to be sure - is that in some cases, it will be possible to apply for citizenship 12 months after PR (rather than 2 years) if you have previously been on a temporary visa in Australia.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy, that'll teach me to read important things after a few drinks!!

Kala
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Is a WHV counted as a temporary visa?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:39 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CHnJ
Is a WHV counted as a temporary visa?
you wish
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by hevs
you wish
Heh, MY wish is that they count holiday visas and ETAs.

I could apply for citizenship 4 months earlier then (yeah, that's about the amount of time I've spent here already over the years...)

Mike
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:52 pm

I read it as 12 months on a temp visa with activity benefiting Oz. Typical of this department to release stuff that might sound good without working out the details.

If 12 months on a provisional spouse visa will count then I could go skip in December or on Oz day. My WHV days were more then 5 years ago but a WHV is still a temp visa.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:56 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...000229669.html

It will also become easier for spouses of Australian citizens to obtain citizenship, with the introduction of a new "spouse-specific residence discretion".

This meant the requirement that non-Australian spouses live in Australia could be waived, making life easier for couples who spent long periods working overseas.

Mr Hardgrave said the Government's policy that spouses of Australians had to show they were developing and maintaining "close and continuing ties with Australia" could be achieved without actually living in the country.

"This policy objective can be achieved through the applicant's relationships with their Australian citizen spouse, children and extended family, and through return visits to Australia," Mr Hardgrave said.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 12:59 am
JAJ
Retired

They are unlikely to count holidays, ETAs and working holiday visas.

Normal 'windows' will still apply, ie 2 years in the 5 before application, including 12 months in the 2 years before application.

The details on what precisely they will do for spouses (other than the temp residence discretion already mentioned) are not clear at this stage. We'll have to see what policies underly the application of the spousal residence discretion.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Marakai
Heh, MY wish is that they count holiday visas and ETAs.

I could apply for citizenship 4 months earlier then (yeah, that's about the amount of time I've spent here already over the years...)

Mike