Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian citizen 20 years abroad- returning

Australian citizen 20 years abroad- returning

Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:21 am
Just Joined

denismca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian citizen 20 years abroad- returning

My son who was born in Australia and has an Australian passport is returning to live there shortly. He is 23 but was only 2 when we moved back home. What would be the necessary agencies (medicare etc) he would need to enrol with on returning? I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 6:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian citizen 20 years abroad- returning

Originally Posted by denismca
My son who was born in Australia and has an Australian passport is returning to live there shortly. He is 23 but was only 2 when we moved back home. What would be the necessary agencies (medicare etc) he would need to enrol with on returning? I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Medicare, get a TFN, probably go to Centrelink and see what, if anything they can do for him. From memory that's all the husband did. If he's got a driving licence then go to transport office to get it changed to an Aussie one - worth 100 points for ID purposes. Medicare won't be as straightforward as it is for migrants. Because he's coming in on his Aussie passport they won't have a record of him arriving. He'll need to show his flight documentation and proof of residency here. We went and they accepted me and the girls, but wouldn't add the husband until they'd confirmed that he'd been out of the country of 40 odd years and was now going to be a resident.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

gumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nice

1) Opening of a bank account in Australia (if none);

2) Driver's Licence;

3) Medicare - proof of residency as returning residents is required including shipping documents for household goods, closure of bank accounts overseas, employment contract, tenancy agreement and opening of banka accounts in Australia etc;

4) Tax File Number (TFN).
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gumtree
3) Medicare - proof of residency as returning residents is required including shipping documents for household goods, closure of bank accounts overseas, employment contract, tenancy agreement and opening of banka accounts in Australia etc;
Closing overseas bank accounts is a myth (if Medicare are asking for that it's illegal) - all they are entitled to ask for is evidence that someone has established residence in Australia and is not just visiting. Proof of having left overseas employment to return to Australia is a lot more persuasive.

The reason for this is that Australian citizens overseas are not entitled to Medicare and hence if they want to enrol on arrival in Australia, they have to show they have arrived to live, not just visit.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

mel.b will become famous soon enoughmel.b will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ

The reason for this is that Australian citizens overseas are not entitled to Medicare and hence if they want to enrol on arrival in Australia, they have to show they have arrived to live, not just visit.
that's interesting ( and useful!) to know. So as an aus citzen, living overseas, if i was in Oz on a holiday and was involved in a serious accident i wouldn't be covered with medicare? I always take out travel insurance when i go back to aus but that was more or delays, lost luggage etc.

I was in aus in nov and had to see the doc for a script. My medicare card ad expired and of ourse i didn't have the new one. The doctors surgery rang medicare for me and i explianed that i had been o/s for several years and they issued me with a new medicare card no problems.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

gumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nice

Returning residents for Medicare - Please see below for more details:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...-residents.pdf
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: Australian citizen 20 years abroad- returning

Hi I am Australian and been out of the country since 98 but still have mny medicare and a doctor that bulk bills my care when I visit australia, so do not understand why we are not entitled to it ......... There has never been a question about my using it

Originally Posted by JAJ
Closing overseas bank accounts is a myth (if Medicare are asking for that it's illegal) - all they are entitled to ask for is evidence that someone has established residence in Australia and is not just visiting. Proof of having left overseas employment to return to Australia is a lot more persuasive.

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shenni
Hi I am Australian and been out of the country since 98 but still have mny medicare and a doctor that bulk bills my care when I visit australia, so do not understand why we are not entitled to it ........ There has never been a question about my using it
Because you don't live in Australia, that's why.
You don't pay Australian taxes either.

There are many instances of Medicare apparently being unable to apply its own rules.

At the very least, you might be entitled to keep using your existing Medicare card but it would be surprising if you could get a new one.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Australian citizen 20 years abroad- returning

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because you don't live in Australia, that's why.
You don't pay Australian taxes either.

There are many instances of Medicare apparently being unable to apply its own rules.

At the very least, you might be entitled to keep using your existing Medicare card but it would be surprising if you could get a new one.
Sorry but I do pay taxes in Oz ........ I have had a replacement card since being out of the country. I still have a house kids and income which might explain why I do get it then
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

denismca is an unknown quantity at this point

As the original poster of the question I just want to acknowledge those who went to the bother of replying. The answers will be a great help in getting settled in what will be a new country, even though it is the land of birth.
Thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Shenni
Sorry but I do pay taxes in Oz ........ I have had a replacement card since being out of the country. I still have a house kids and income which might explain why I do get it then
If you mean that you still have a house, income etc. in Australia then doesn't that mean you are still resident?

Once again - Medicare is for Australian citizens resident in Australia, not those permanently outside the country.