Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian cigarette packaging law

Australian cigarette packaging law

Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:08 pm
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Australian cigarette packaging law

I would like to hear folks views on this:
I am not a smoker myself, but am perplexed at the Australian governments reasons to force a change to cigarette packaging to a olive green colour. Will this really stop smokers from buying their fix? I doubt it. If the government makes this stance, then perhaps they should target fast food companies like McDonalds and the way they brand their food and target kids. A problem which in my mind is as big in the way obesity and its associated diseases are going to be or are already a serious strain on our health systems and more importantly the health of humans.

What next? Alcohol sold in transparent plastic bottles??

Last edited by MrJenkins; Nov 10th 2011 at 11:16 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:19 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian cigarette packaging law

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
I am not a smoker myself, but am perplexed at the Australian governments reasons to force a change to cigarette packaging to a olive green colour. Will this really stop smokers from buying their fix? I doubt it. If the government makes this stance, then perhaps they should target fast food companies like McDonalds and the way they brand their food and target kids. A problem which in my mind is as big in the way obesity and its associated diseases are going to be or already a serious strain on our health systems and more importantly the health of humans.

It won't deter existing smokers but it may have an effect on those who have yet to take it up.

I'm an ex-smoker and I understand why people do it but I don't have a problem with the plain packaging.

Yes, you could make a similar argument for alcohol, 'fast food' and all the rest but to not do it for one known health issue because the others are not restricted isn't really an argument.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

There's a great quote from Denis Leary about warnings on cigarette packets...

It doesn't matter how big the warnings on the cigarettes are; you could have a black pack, with a skull and crossbones on the front, called TUMORS, and smokers would be around the block going, "I can't wait to get my hands on these f$cking things! I bet ya get a tumor as soon as you light up!"
Cheers

LG
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It won't deter existing smokers but it may have an effect on those who have yet to take it up.

I'm an ex-smoker and I understand why people do it but I don't have a problem with the plain packaging.

Yes, you could make a similar argument for alcohol, 'fast food' and all the rest but to not do it for one known health issue because the others are not restricted isn't really an argument.
Yeah, not quite as sexy as the Dunhill pack for a 17 year old girl.

Ex social smoker (still have the occasional ciggy when I'm blind) and it doesn't bother me either way. We buy heaps of clean skin wine too and could count the amount of times we have fast food in a year on my fingers so like you, don't really care.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:26 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Ex social smoker (still have the occasional ciggy when I'm blind)
Remove the 'Ex' and you're telling the truth
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
I am not a smoker myself, but am perplexed at the Australian governments reasons to force a change to cigarette packaging to a olive green colour. Will this really stop smokers from buying their fix? I doubt it. If the government makes this stance, then perhaps they should target fast food companies like McDonalds and the way they brand their food and target kids. A problem which in my mind is as big in the way obesity and its associated diseases are going to be or are already a serious strain on our health systems and more importantly the health of humans.

What next? Well once they have got pre-commitment in place for poker machines, being forced in because some people have a gambling problem, you can expect pre-commitment for the purchase of alcohol, because some people have a drink problem.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Remove the 'Ex' and you're telling the truth
Well, not really because in 13 years (apart from a couple of months before I left the UEA, I would have averaged one cigarette every couple of years - since I left Dubai a year ago I've had one with my nephew - so not enough to even rate as a social smoker. Even when I classed myself as a smoker, I only smoked on the weekend when I was having a drink.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
There's a great quote from Denis Leary about warnings on cigarette packets...
Tommy Gavin! Rescue Me was one of my favourite TV shows.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant imagine not having a colourful box is going to stop a single person smoking or starting to smoke, just another waste of time and money.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:13 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The worst are those graphic images. Unpleasant to the adult smokers but sheer torment to young kids who happen to see the packet.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Why olive green just its a colour I really like

If almost $20 a pack doesnt make people give up I doubt the colour of the pack will.

I would just slap a $10 a pack health levy on them, too easy.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Why do they not allow the mg's of nicottine on the packet? Surely if someone is trying to quit they want to buy the 2mg pack rather than the 16mg. Without know they could be enhancing their nicottine need.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

They'd have more luck if they impregnated the packet with dog shite
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I cant imagine not having a colourful box is going to stop a single person smoking or starting to smoke, just another waste of time and money.
Quite right.

No amount of control on advertising, packaging or price is going to stop anyone smoking. Smokers know all about how bad it is for them. It makes no difference to them as they are addicts. Treat them as such and the success level of stopping will skyrocket.

It's also getting into dangerous Big Brother territory when governments dictate what is acceptable in a thing like packaging. Where is that one going to end?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
They'd have more luck if they impregnated the packet with dog shite
And you know that wouldn't work either don't you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.