Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Born Children

Australian Born Children

Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:59 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Born Children

Hi

To get a british passport then its just your grandparents being british? How do you prove this if they are dead?

anyone got british passports for their children here?

Vivienne
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Born Children

Not sure I understand the bit about grandparents!

Depends on your status.
If you are PR or citizen, your kids born in Aus are automatically Aus citizens.

If one of the parents is UK citizen born in UK, then the child is a British citizen.
Our daughter was born here- my H is Brit but was born overseas, so I (being Brit born UK) passed on British citizenship to her.

All can be found on bhaus website.....including application forms.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:16 am

My three kids are australian and I want to get them british passports. But someone said I have to prove a granddad was british - so if my dad is dead what do I do - rock up with his death certificate - I dont have a birth certificate or anything like that.

I have a british passport and an australian one. I wasnt born in the uk though

I must be going to the wrong site - is that the british house australia you mean?
viv
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:19 am

Found the site - I was looking at a uk one - of anyone has done this though any comment woudl be good

it seems that for my eldest, we werent married so it has to be through my citizenship and they want a birth certificate which I dont have and cant get.

so that must be what they are on about - my passport and my dads british citizenship - too hard - I will have to ask them
Viv

Last edited by viviennef; Jan 19th 2009 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
My three kids are australian and I want to get them british passports. But someone said I have to prove a granddad was british - so if my dad is dead what do I do - rock up with his death certificate - I dont have a birth certificate or anything like that.

I must be going to the wrong site - is that the british house australia you mean?
viv

Ask this question in the Moving Back to the UK forum.

Or you can search this site: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...erseascitizen/
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:42 am

Thank you! I will try that - I wont be moving back though, my mum is ringing every day trying to come and warm up!

Vivienne
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I will try that - I wont be moving back though, my mum is ringing every day trying to come and warm up!

Vivienne

lol!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think your children will be entitled to UK passport/citizenship if you or their father are not British citizens. JAJ would know more about it, though.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:55 am

Sorry - I am confusing the issue

My partner and I are british citizens and I am an australian citizen
I wasnt born in the uk though
my dad, grandad all the way back are british - also on my husbands side
I want passports for my children but it says their grandad needs to be british
what I am not sure of is how I prove that - since I only have my dads death certificate but not any evidence of when and where he was born etc

I guess I ahve to try to get a birth cert for him but not sure if that is auto recorded somehow

I will ring the embassy
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Grandparent does not usually give rise to a claim to British citizenship, unclear where you heard that ...

If you were not born in the United Kingdom, how did you get your British citizenship? And where was your spouse/partner born?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - I am confusing the issue

My partner and I are british citizens and I am an australian citizen
I wasnt born in the uk though
my dad, grandad all the way back are british - also on my husbands side
I want passports for my children but it says their grandad needs to be british
what I am not sure of is how I prove that - since I only have my dads death certificate but not any evidence of when and where he was born etc

I guess I ahve to try to get a birth cert for him but not sure if that is auto recorded somehow

I will ring the embassy
You need to get in touch with these people http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/or...ates/index.asp Give them as much information as you have, his death certificate will have his birthdate. You must know where he was born and his full name. With this info you should be able to get a a copy of his birth certificate. We managed to get copies of my husbands birth fathers birth certificate and we don't even know where he is these days. Good luck.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Grandparent does not usually give rise to a claim to British citizenship, unclear where you heard that ...

If you were not born in the United Kingdom, how did you get your British citizenship? And where was your spouse/partner born?
That is why I was worried - its a long story but my family always lived in the UK. My dad was working in Rhodesia and when that finished when I was 1, they came home to Wales. They came by boat and just carried me into the country. So I went to school, did everything normally until I came to Asutralia when I was 19. Then when I went back they took my passport off me and said I wasnt allowed to work

anyway I coudlnt get my birth certificate because salisbury house in zimbabwe had burnt down but then after lots of tooing and froing they worked out that my parents registered me at birth as rhodesian and not british (there was a choice) even though they were just working there for 4 years

Then they just gave me a passport and it was all back to normal. I still have a british passport of course. I want to make sure my kids get their british passport - I know they are entitled as my husband is also british and isnt australian so it will prob all be ok - except his dad doesnt have a birth certificate but it woudl be easier I guess to find his.

If the grandparent thing is rubbish, its all irrelevant anyway I will follow the links - thank you!
Viv
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:21 pm

actually I think I am stuffed - I think my second two are ok but my oldest will have problems.

Andrew and I were supposed to get married before she was born but she was 8 weeks early and so we missed it

what a complete nightmare.

Actually I ahve it - I have to try to register her and as part of that I have to claim the right via my fathers descent. hence the problem.

I will get onto it though - its pretty bad luck the chain of events. I was so upset in the hospital and the guy marrying us was coming to do it in secret before my actual real wedding so that she woudl be born when we were married but then it all happened 3 days earlier than the 7 weeks early we are going to do it on friday. I had it all set up - I shoudl have just crossed my legs harder

Last edited by viviennef; Jan 19th 2009 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

actually I think I am stuffed - I think my second two are ok but my oldest will have problems.

Andrew and I were supposed to get married before she was born but she was 8 weeks early and so we missed it

what a complete nightmare.

Actually I ahve it - I have to try to register her and as part of that I have to claim the right via my fathers descent. hence the problem.

I will get onto it though - its pretty bad luck the chain of events. I was so upset in the hospital and the guy marrying us was coming to do it in secret before my actual real wedding so that she woudl be born when we were married but then it all happened 3 days earlier than the 7 weeks early we are going to do it on friday. I had it all set up - I shoudl have just crossed my legs harder
No, I think your kids will be fine. I doubt if they can get British pasports through you as it sounds as if you are only British by descent (ie. you weren't born there) so you cannot pass citizenship onto your children.

As long as your husband was born in Britain, they should qualify for citizenship through him instead. The fact that you were not married when the eldest was born doesn't matter - the website http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/p...bility-father/ says 'In all cases, claims made through the father's line are by legitimate descent (parents must have been married at the time of your birth, or subsequently married)'.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
As long as your husband was born in Britain, they should qualify for citizenship through him instead. The fact that you were not married when the eldest was born doesn't matter - the website http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/p...bility-father/ says 'In all cases, claims made through the father's line are by legitimate descent (parents must have been married at the time of your birth, or subsequently married)'.
And even if they were not married, eldest could be registered as a British citizen via the Home Office as long as application was made before age 18.

Marital status of father normally doesn't matter if children born on or after 1 July 2006.

Presumably children here were born in Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.