Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian BBQ inthe UK - gas bottle question.

Australian BBQ inthe UK - gas bottle question.

Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Cool Australian BBQ inthe UK - gas bottle question.

WE have bought our Australian bought BBQ back to the UK but did not bring the gas bottle with us. I believe that the connections are different so I am not sure how we go about getting a gas bottle with the right connection to fit our BBQ. Does anyone out there have a clue on where to go etc. I thought about a DIY store but I'm not sure they will be clued up on what the right connection is (ie Australian to UK conversion).
We are desperate for another BBQ - any advice gratefullty received!!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:58 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian BBQ inthe UK - gas bottle question.

Fire. And lots of it.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
WE have bought our Australian bought BBQ back to the UK but did not bring the gas bottle with us. I believe that the connections are different so I am not sure how we go about getting a gas bottle with the right connection to fit our BBQ. Does anyone out there have a clue on where to go etc. I thought about a DIY store but I'm not sure they will be clued up on what the right connection is (ie Australian to UK conversion).

Hi there - I did the same and decided to change the connection from the Aus to a UK version which the local Calor Gas place did very easily. You can get this connection in the UK, but I just went to LPG and had the hose changed.

It is very easy to do - best is to disconnect the hose from the junction under the BBQ and take this to your local Calor place. Tell them what you have and what you want, they'll fit a new fitting and you then buy a gas bottle full of gas - and off you go...

I found my wooden BBQ from Aus only lasted about 2 years in the UK winter so ended up buying a new stainless steel one.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I think that even if you get a regulator to fit, you may have problems.

The gas pressure out of Australian regulators is different to UK and so the jets in the BBQ themselves are designed for the different pressure. You used to be able to get adjustable regulator is the UK from the likes of a plumbers merchant. The B&Q or garden centre guy wont have them

We have had the probelm here in Oz with our UK patio heater. It just wont work with the lower pressure that the Oz gas regulators give out.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
I think that even if you get a regulator to fit, you may have problems.

The gas pressure out of Australian regulators is different to UK and so the jets in the BBQ themselves are designed for the different pressure. You used to be able to get adjustable regulator is the UK from the likes of a plumbers merchant. The B&Q or garden centre guy wont have them

We have had the probelm here in Oz with our UK patio heater. It just wont work with the lower pressure that the Oz gas regulators give out.
Change the injector - the gas pressure is identical ......... we just use different measurement units

It should be the same fitting on the regulator to the gas bottle - called a POL fitting
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:09 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I took the connection to calor gas and was lucky that the bottle fitted straight onto the connector. So not all need altering. Our BBQ was from Bunnings and was a cheap one.

Jo
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:04 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

just by a new regulator to fit uk gas bottles most garden centres will sell them
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi
Change the injector - the gas pressure is identical ......... we just use different measurement units

It should be the same fitting on the regulator to the gas bottle - called a POL fitting
Sorry, I disagree. The regulators that have come with the BBQ's (3) I have bought in Oz are a lower pressure output than the UK ones I brought with me.

Thats' according to what's marked on the regulator at least...and I can convert units...I worked as an engineer in offshore oil for 11 years.

Also the fitting on the bottle to regulator is different to UK. I wonder if this is unqiue to NSW and you are in WA or somewhere and it is different?