Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian bank account

Australian bank account

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian bank account

Originally Posted by percyp
Don't bother asking the local branches for details most don't have a clue, just use them to sign anything, and do the rest direst with Oz, via internet, or call the international banking number.

Not found any problems with the lack of branches, only used the branch twice in 18 months. good interest and no charges.
Does it really matter how many braches they have? I do all my banking over the web, and maybe go to a branch 3 or 4 times a year. One thing I've heard though is that if you want a credit card then it's better to get it before you leave.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Does it really matter how many braches they have? I do all my banking over the web, and maybe go to a branch 3 or 4 times a year. One thing I've heard though is that if you want a credit card then it's better to get it before you leave.

I agree totally. I've set up an account with HSBC in oz, and I’m sure I won’t find it a problem with there being so few branches. EFTPOS and internet banking will be the way to go.

I know this is a little different, but in the UK, I bank with Smile, and they don’t have any branches anywhere. all banking is done at the post office or on the internet. can’t remember the last time I set foot in a bank.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 3:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
I agree totally. I've set up an account with HSBC in oz, and I’m sure I won’t find it a problem with there being so few branches. EFTPOS and internet banking will be the way to go.

I know this is a little different, but in the UK, I bank with Smile, and they don’t have any branches anywhere. all banking is done at the post office or on the internet. can’t remember the last time I set foot in a bank.
Depending on which bank you are with- remember EFTPOS charges (only so many free per month) and ATM withdrawal charges (again only so many are free.) You usually get more free at your own bank but lots of ATMs seem to be only at branches, so a bank with few branches may not turn out to be a good idea.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 3rd 2004 at 3:12 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depending on which bank you are with- remember EFTPOS charges (only so many free per month) and ATM withdrawal charges (again only so many are free.) You usually get more free at your own bank but lots of ATMs seem to be only at branches, so a bank with few branches may not turn out to be a good idea.
With HSBC, EFTPOS is free. unlimited free ATM withdrawals at their own branches, or 5 free ATM withdrawals at other banks per month

so if you are careful, bank charges could be kept to a minimum.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

And if you need a mortgage with HSBC, you don't need to find a branch, their Mobile Lender comes out to you.

The Post office facility they have is also very good; having two Post offices in my suburb effectively gives me two HSBC branches Although I only ever use them for deposits.

As has been said before though. Do not rely on UK local branches to know about the Australian HSBC. As with the Commonwealth Bank, it is best to use the department specifically for it.

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dazzac
We went with Commonwealth Bank - set up in the UK (London Office) . very helpful , they will set up your Aus account so you just pop into the local branch and have access to your money once you've arrived. Also they can hold your money in sterling so you can decide when to change depending on what the rate is doing.

HSBC don't have many branches over here so its hard to get hold of your money.

Just ring directory enquires and ask for Commonwealth Bank of Australia , London. Then once your through ask for migration services , it takes a bout a week to turn around the account. Then just transfer your 60k in to it electronically.
Did you hear Hevs? You can get your money at the PO or fee free 5 times a month at ANY ATM. I have no difficulty getting my money plus I have a cheque book loinked to my savings account. A novelty considering other banks want you to have a separate chequing account.

I am lucky having one branch near me and one near my work but I never have to use them considering I have internet banking.

How much does CBA charge a month and what interest do they pay. Currently I earn over $10 a month in interest on mony waiting around to pay bills where as I used to pay 10 a month to Wastepac.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Did you hear Hevs? You can get your money at the PO or fee free 5 times a month at ANY ATM.
Pah! No one ever listens to me Every time a blimmin bank thread comes up (10 times a week!!) I disclose this nugget of information and still people don't take it in. I reckon i'm about to go off in another huff!!!

PS. English banks DO NOT have a clue how the banks run over here and vice versa. They may all speak the same language, but obviously banking is spoken in a different dialect